Who Qualify as Collector??

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Who Qualify as Collector??

Post by Fernando »

I just counted how many comps I have and they are just 22.
I wonder if that is enough to become a collector
Which is the minimal number to be member of this select community?

In anguish regards
Fern
Festina Lente
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Anything over two is a collection, Only one of anyhting just makes you an owner of something
22 is a good number, I have probably around 14-16. For Steve 14-22 is what he has under his bed !!!
I just bought a Phantom and because of the size of the box Im really considering dumping the box, BOX is huge, takes huge part of my allowed closet. I know that Steve's eyes just turned inward...seizure like... to hear that I may dump a box of a 25 plus years computer.... just kidding, but the box is HUUUUUGE!!

SIZE matters regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

I just have 13 and probably thinking on getting only 2 or 3 more

No space at home regards
Ricardo
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

chesspcmac wrote: I just bought a Phantom and because of the size of the box Im really considering dumping the box, BOX is huge, takes huge part of my allowed closet. I know that Steve's eyes just turned inward...seizure like... to hear that I may dump a box of a 25 plus years computer.... just kidding, but the box is HUUUUUGE!!
I passed out in shock after reading your intention to dispose of the box...

when i came to.. i read the rest of your post...

Breathing a sigh of relief Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

chesspcmac wrote:Anything over two is a collection, Only one of anyhting just makes you an owner of something
22 is a good number, I have probably around 14-16. For Steve 14-22 is what he has under his bed !!!
I just bought a Phantom and because of the size of the box Im really considering dumping the box, BOX is huge, takes huge part of my allowed closet. I know that Steve's eyes just turned inward...seizure like... to hear that I may dump a box of a 25 plus years computer.... just kidding, but the box is HUUUUUGE!!

SIZE matters regards

Mike
Anything that goes beyond 2 is a collection, but that does not make a collector.
A collector is something more serious.
I would say someone having more than 50 of the item he collects is one of them.
I am just a candidate to be a collector.

Humble regards
Fern
Festina Lente
dedicate computers

original packaging

Post by dedicate computers »

I believe that to become a collector required to keep all the unique aspects of the chess computer, manual, original packaging. Personally I want to play with these machines, are 37 computers, most EAG but without original box, so I think that lack this attribute to be a true collector. If I keep the original packaging, would not have space at home.Image
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: original packaging

Post by Fernando »

dedicate computers wrote:I believe that to become a collector required to keep all the unique aspects of the chess computer, manual, original packaging. Personally I want to play with these machines, are 37 computers, most EAG but without original box, so I think that lack this attribute to be a true collector. If I keep the original packaging, would not have space at home.Image
beautiful photo and collection!
you are a grade A collector, sir.....

Grade z collector regards
Fern
Festina Lente
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Dedicate, I would gladly help you with one box for the Elite Avnt garde if you have to throw it away.
I think a collector, seriously speaking, is somebody who has the passion for these machines. Who looks at them with love and cares for them as much as possible. Some people dont have much money and all they have is two or three of these computers but they take care of them. They are always stored in the best place of the house not in the basement with the old bike, old grandfather clock and a bunch of boxes. I worry about my computers, Im always telling my wife what to do with them if something happens to me. She doesnt take me seriously..."dont be crazy" I dont want my machines to end up on some garage sale or in the hands of some spoiled kid who likes to play with the horseys and the castles.
The other day I bought on Ebay a THIRTY year old Novag COnstellation Expert with no pieces and dirty. I was able to clean it and now it looks brand new and working, what a beautiful board!!!. I was thinking all the crap that this POOR machine had to endure for 30 years until I finally rescued it from hell, now is home.... kicking my ass everyday. The happiness that I felt when the machine was finally working and clean can only be understood by collectors and people like us. For me was a GREAT day for the rest of my family ..."whats the big deal" Playing with one of these old dedicated machines is like stepping into a time machine and playing with something that still "thinks" exactly as when it was created. It is better than an old book because an old book never changes.
I think all of us here are collectors....

Love my dedicated computers regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

chesspcmac wrote:Dedicate, I worry about my computers, Im always telling my wife what to do with them if something happens to me. She doesnt take me seriously..."dont be crazy" I dont want my machines to end up on some garage sale or in the hands of some spoiled kid who likes to play with the horseys and the castles.
The other day I bought on Ebay a THIRTY year old Novag COnstellation Expert

Mike
And i worry my computers will wind up on Ebay after i croak
i have the same discussions with my wife...but i do not trust her

as one can have a "living will" to instruct the family how one will be treated medically near the end....
i have a "dedicated will" which gives the executors of my estate exact instructions of the disposition of each and every computer
in a nutshell..
i will be interred in an above ground Mausoleum surrounded by all of my computers
they will be set up in concentric rings circling my coffin ..expanding outward..with the rarest computers nearest to me and the least rare further away

Planning For Eternity Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

chesspcmac wrote:Anything over two is a collection, Only one of anyhting just makes you an owner of something
Mike
I think there are several types of collectors.
In my opinion a type A chesscomputer collector tries to collect all chesscomputers ever made. And preferrably with original packing etc.
Steve is probably the prototype for type A ;-)
In this thread there are already some other types visible.
With 22 comps Fern certainly has a respectable collection, let's say he is the type who collects the comps he likes to play with.
Another type, for instance me myself, at first I collected some comps with a wide variation of strength, so I could join user tournaments and competitions of variable strength. So you could consider me a socializing collector ;-). But then, reading about the history of all the different programmers, I also wanted comps of as many programmers as possible. So Nelson, Kaplan, Craig, Morsch, Schröder, Kittinger and Danielsen should be present (probably forgetting a number. I still miss de Koning and the Spracklens). Also one or two wooden boards would be nice ... So now I have somewhere around 40 comps I think.
I like to play with them too, also play competitions among them, but the comps under 1300 elo I hardly ever use.
And except for some rare exceptions, I will not buy comps under 1500 elo anymore.
But right now I am also looking for replacing comps without original packaging for the same ones with Original packaging...

So what type would I be regards,
Paul.
Last edited by paulwise3 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

The type you are which in fact is the type of all of us is the type of a demented guy.This place is not more normal than the parlor of a madhouse.

With a Napoleon hat on my head regards
Fern
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Fernando wrote:The type you are which in fact is the type of all of us is the type of a demented guy.This place is not more normal than the parlor of a madhouse.

With a Napoleon hat on my head regards
Fern
And then I did not even mention my recent urge to collect a number of books from - and also about - Max Euwe ...

1935 world champion regards,
Paul.
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I have an autographp by Euwe that I can exchange for one of your comps.....

Fake Money maker regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

paulwise3 wrote: And then I did not even mention my recent urge to collect a number of books from - and also about - Max Euwe ...

1935 world champion regards,
Paul.
it comes as no surprise that a Dutchman would look to collect books about Euwe
:P

Do you have the book by Reuben Fine ...Amsterdam Chess Congress 1936?
it was published in a limited edition of 280 copies
Euwe the then world champion won the tournament ahead of Alekhine and Fine
Published by E.G.R. Cordingley
not really hard to find on the net

Dabbling in Chess Book Collecting Regards
Steve
dedicate computers

Amazing that after 30-35

Post by dedicate computers »

Before all that was written, I understand that there is no correct way to say it would be or not truly collector. The correct way is to save the right these machines. Amazing that after 30-35 years these machines work and give us great pleasure.