Who Qualify as Collector??

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
it is part of the destiny of a collector that he often does not consider himself to be one, just an user. Fact s are, nevertheless, that if you have more than two items of something probably you will be or already are a collector.
Yes its interesting that some will deny the fact they are collecotor's ..as if this was some admission of a great weakness or they are afflicted with a addiction or something
on the contrary ..
Say It Loud...

I Am A Collector And I'm Proud Regards
Steve

Yes...
we should compose an anthem about this

something like:
Here we are here we are
the old farts of computer chess regards
we are proud
we are happy
no harm to nobody intended
just let us be
lest us play
and expend money in plastic or wood
Here we are here we are
the chess computers old farts...

Maybe we could hire Beethoven to put music to this regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Dubliner

Re: Who Qualify as Collector??

Post by Dubliner »

Fernando wrote:I just counted how many comps I have and they are just 22.
I wonder if that is enough to become a collector
Which is the minimal number to be member of this select community?

In anguish regards
Fern
(long time lurker & my first post).
Having moved home recently I knew I had a few and just this week I put them together and counted 12. I'm still a novice player all these years on so any one of these weak computers I have (like boris) can beat me easily so it has to be the 'collecting' bit that gripped me.
Coming here on a first post is like a 'coming out', a confession, an admission or a questioning - 'have I got a problem?' :)
Love reading the great posts here.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Dubliner wrote:

In anguish regards
Fern
Having moved home recently I knew I had a few and just this week I put them together and counted 12. I'm still a novice player all these years on so any one of these weak computers I have (like boris) can beat me easily so it has to be the 'collecting' bit that gripped me.
Coming here on a first post is like a 'coming out', a confession, an admission or a questioning - 'have I got a problem?' :)
Welcome home, dubliner!!!!
BUT if you a are a Dublin citizen, I am afraid you will not find here the booze you use to have over there. Just dusty old men talking of comps.

Fern
Festina Lente
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Dubliner wrote:

In anguish regards
Fern
Welcome Dubliner! You are among like minded collectors here. All suffering from the same chess computer collecting illness. Before you know it 12 will become 15 and ...

12 step program regards,
Dave
Dubliner

Post by Dubliner »

[quote/]
Welcome Dubliner! You are among like minded collectors here. All suffering from the same chess computer collecting illness. Before you know it 12 will become 15 and ...

12 step program regards,
Dave[/quote]

Thanks Dave for the welcome. I even started pitting them against each other thinking that was a weird thing to do then I discovered 'spacious-mind' and saw from that great site that that at least one other was doing it too (in a scientific manner).. now I find a veritable nest of ye here. Wow!
I suppose my next brilliant idea of inviting humans online to play against these old beasts has been done too?
Regards
Dubliner

Post by Dubliner »

[quote/]
Welcome home, dubliner!!!!
BUT if you a are a Dublin citizen, I am afraid you will not find here the booze you use to have over there. Just dusty old men talking of comps.

Fern[/quote]

Thanks but I'm dozy enough without booze, that and being an old man with the attention span of a modern teenager. No wonder I'm so poor at chess.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Dubliner wrote: I suppose my next brilliant idea of inviting humans online to play against these old beasts has been done too?
Regards
Hi Dubliner,
It is a brilliant idea, but you are right not to be the first to think of it ;-).
Even more, there are live (physical) user tournaments, where old chesscomputerlovers come together to play against each other's machine.
I don't know about America, but in the Netherlands and Germany such tournaments are organized every spring and autumn. See for instance CSVN.nl.
In Germany also official competitions and tournaments are played via internet, using the iSchach interface. I plan to participate starting this autumn, and I believe that Nick (Spacious mind) already does.
See also http://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/

If you are interested, just let me know.

Regards, Paul.
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

And let us not forget the Legendary Paris Oldies Tournaments:

http://www.zanchetta.net/echecs/Paris2013/

Competitive Regards
Steve
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Thanx for the info Steve, until now I used Alain's site only to get documentation for comps without it... But to my credit i can say that I am mailing him also docs that he does not have already :-)

Oldies regards,
Paul
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
Dubliner

Post by Dubliner »

paulwise3 wrote:
Dubliner wrote: I suppose my next brilliant idea of inviting humans online to play against these old beasts has been done too?
Regards
Hi Dubliner,
It is a brilliant idea, but you are right not to be the first to think of it ;-).
Even more, there are live (physical) user tournaments, where old chesscomputerlovers come together to play against each other's machine.
I don't know about America, but in the Netherlands and Germany such tournaments are organized every spring and autumn. See for instance CSVN.nl.
In Germany also official competitions and tournaments are played via internet, using the iSchach interface. I plan to participate starting this autumn, and I believe that Nick (Spacious mind) already does.
See also http://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/

If you are interested, just let me know.

Regards, Paul.
Hi Paul,
You have given me much to research re ' iSchach interface' etc.
I had guessed that things like this were afoot. I find it fascinating!
For me I like pitting the older dedicated computers against similar or indeed humans. Having done machine code in college (in the 80's) I really admire the guys who could write these strategies or even brute force) with such tiny memory and feeble CPUs.
I imagine lots of folk cheat with having top notch PC engines at their side whist playing online. I feel that human players online (advance beginners/intermediate players) might like the fun and indeed challenge of playing against a vintage machine - and are told this upfront. The old machines can play quirky but brilliantly.
Re Nick's website that man deserves a medal for all his work!
Anyway back to my Videomaster Chess Champion Vs my DDR Chessmaster.....
Thanks for the reply & greetings from Dublin.
I've found a nice community here.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Steve B wrote: it comes as no surprise that a Dutchman would look to collect books about Euwe
:P

Do you have the book by Reuben Fine ...Amsterdam Chess Congress 1936?
it was published in a limited edition of 280 copies
Euwe the then world champion won the tournament ahead of Alekhine and Fine
Published by E.G.R. Cordingley
not really hard to find on the net
Hi Steve,

I finally set myself to look for this interesting book. But it seems the only country where it is offered is the USA (not surprisingly though).
So the cost of transport is much more then the price of the book itself :-(.

Isn't someone coincidentally planning a trip to Europe and taking the book with him for me? I have some bottles of nice Belgium beer as a reward...

Looking for bargonprices regards,
Paul