A Retro Trend in Digital Displays?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Cyberchess

A Retro Trend in Digital Displays?

Post by Cyberchess »

Greetings fellow schachcomputer enthusiasts!

Besides collecting vintage and antique chess sets, there was a time in the 1980’s when I also enjoyed repairing and collecting analog chess clocks.

As technology progressed through the early ‘90’s, however, more and more tournaments began to first offer, then mandate, that the time control be set for a 5 second delay. The advantages of playing blitz and tournament chess with a digital clock became obvious, and a good digital chess clock offered additional playing modes such as “Fischer Clock;” “Byoyomi Clock;” “Bronstein Clock,” etc. Batteries are inexpensive, and, unlike their analog counterparts, a digital clock is maintenance free, so I soon began experimenting with different makes/models. While more expensive digitals offered luxurious housing, more features and such, there was one commonality amongst all units: every manufacturer designed their digital clocks around low power consuming LCD display technology. These LCD displays are all quite readable in the chess club, tournament hall or even outdoors on a sunny day, though not very good when playing on the chess tables after dark without a battery powered table lamp. Depending on where you’re seated relative to the park’s street lamps, an old fashioned analog chess clock might be much easier to read at night.

Well, the other day I had been perusing the chess listings on the bay when I came across the entire line of these ZMF II digital chess clocks. I was immediately awestruck, as these clocks were designed with beautiful LED displays – just like the 1970’s digital watches and early dedicated chess computers. If there’s anything that I really miss about those early units, it’s the bright red LED displays, and the way that the Chess Challenger units would strobe while the machine was thinking.

Could this be the start of a retro trend in chess clocks?

Rolling Back the Years Regards,
John
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

There is a lot in favour of the plain LED displays and also the later florescent displays. Of course a problem with LCD displays is the angle at which they remain readable. Plus without backlighting they can be even more difficult to read, not to mention that they often work optimally outdoors (I'm talking mainly about the most basic monochromatic displays). Think of the Novag Amber and Turquoise for example, and the display angle and maintaining useable contrast can become a significant problem.

Take a good LED display and it can be used in much more varied indoor environments, indoor lighting is not a problem nor is the angle of viewing. I personally like the florescent ones even more though. They tend to combine the best of both worlds.

But yes, whenever I see a large LED display like that I can only think of early model Fidelity machines. And come to think of it, much later ones as well, such as the gelatos with displays (Excel 68000 for example).
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Thanks for the info, Jon! I wasn’t even aware of any chess clocks being produced with fluorescent displays. These sound awesome! Even though they would be very expensive to produce, I would also love to see a chess clock designed around vintage Nixie Tubes. These days I mostly play online, so I’m apparently out of sync with the world of modern chess timers.

Your observations in regards to the shortcomings of the LCD displays were spot-on. LCD wristwatches were very trendy in the late 70’s/early 80’s, though almost every model featured a momentary backlight. Some of the latter models also featured adjustable contrast, though all LCD displays begin to fade over time. On the other hand, the earlier LED wristwatches look great indoors and at night, but are pretty darn useless on a sunny day. On my way to school in the 70’s, I can recall ducking under a shaded alcove and cupping my hand over the crystal to check the time on my trendy LED watch.

I was present at the 1986/7 World Open chess tournaments whereby the Fidelity Excel Mach III earned its Master (U.S.C.F 2265) chess rating. Now that you mention it, the angled LED display did greatly improve the appearance of the inexpensive plastic housing.

With today’s modern amplifier circuitry, running a large LED display is no longer a huge drain on the batteries, and the ZMF-II is advertising over 1600 hours of typical use on 4 x C cells.

:cool: Time For a New Clock Regards,
John