Prettier PLASTIC computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Prettier PLASTIC computer

Post by Fernando »

This is for Monsieur Plastique to say something.
In my opinion nothing more lovely than Superconnie.
Champion and predecessor VCoice challenger are a mix, an hybrid of wood and plastic, but I put them also in my favorite list.

GM Excalibur has been very much celébrated, but i consider it to be cheaply made, chinese style. There is always the feeling that it will break apart very easily.

Plastic musings regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

my vote here is an easy one

the Scisys Sensor Chess(brown version)
the computer used recessed LED's below the playing surface on each square
making for a very relaxed almost erotic atmosphere
PlayBoy Lounge Regards
Steve
IA

Post by IA »

The most beautiful PLASTIC computer is the

Novag Scorpio and the Novag Emerald Classic...

:wink:
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

IA wrote:The most beautiful PLASTIC computer is the

If you could show a photo of Scorpio....
Esmerald I think had the same casing as karpov 2294. Its so?

Doubtful regards
Festina Lente
Larry

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:

Doubtful regards
No, Scorpio casing = Star Diamond casing.
A very nice design. Scorpio is actually fairly rare.
L
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Larry wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Doubtful regards
No, Scorpio casing = Star Diamond casing.
A very nice design. Scorpio is actually fairly rare.
L
OK, BUT Karpov 2294 and Emerald are the same.....
Festina Lente
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

My favourites are Saitek Prisma and RSC2250XL: this LCD-chess/board + clocks I like a lot.

http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/im ... Prisma.jpg
http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/im ... 2250xl.jpg

Sad that first one is not a strong device...
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

IvenGO wrote:My favourites are Saitek Prisma and RSC2250XL: this LCD-chess/board + clocks I like a lot.

http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/im ... Prisma.jpg
http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/im ... 2250xl.jpg

Sad that first one is not a strong device...
Both are beautiful, yeah....
Thinking in getting the second regards
Fern
Festina Lente
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

i also like the RS 2250XL, the LCD display where you can see the position of the game at anytime is great.
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

The aforementioned units all look fantastic to me, although I also detest the appearance of the weak for its day Excalibur Grandmaster. I do, however, own one of their chess clocks which I enjoy immensely.
The units featuring LCD boards have an extra sophisticated appearance as well.

The SciSys Sensor Chess reminds me a lot of my old Novag Constellation Forte B unit.
LED coordinates along the border or hidden when off are my preferred design.

:cool: Looking Better Regards,
John
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

OK, BUT Karpov 2294 and Emerald are the same.....

Karpov 2294 is a rebranded Novag Emerald Classic Plus (not the plain Emerald). I had both but a bout of unemployment forced me to part with some of my collection.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Monsieur Plastique

Re: Prettier PLASTIC computer

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Fernando wrote:This is for Monsieur Plastique to say something.
Do you want a short(ish) answer, an essay or a full blown PhD thesis? :wink:

OK, well firstly I agree with Steve that the Scisys Sensor Chess was a special plastic machine. The plastics used in its construction were extremely rugged and first rate. The recessed board LEDs - all 64 of them - were the icing on a very tasty cake. To this day I don't really feel there has been any plastic machine to surpass the luxurious presentation of the Sensor Chess. I don't know that I agree re: the board finish versus the grey finish - I am not a fan of imitation wood. You either do it properly with the real stuff or not at all in my opinion. But then again, that was the style in those days. Imitation wood finishes adorned everything from car dashboards to Hi Fi systems. There were even Fords made that had imitation wood panelling on the outside!

So far as Novag are concerned, in general I've never been a huge fan of their plastic desktop machines in terms of presentation, fit and finish. They too obviously had their fair share of imitation wood machines and some of those had even more problems such as sensor boards that refused to lie flat (Primo). I do agree though that the early plastic desktop machines were best - Constellation, Constellation 3.6 and Super Constellation. Rugged, practical and reasonably attractive.

On the Novag portable side I think they did a lot better. Many of them were attractive - the calculator style machines were nice (VIP, Super VIP, Sapphires, etc) and the early generation RISC machines were excellent (Jade, Jade II, etc). Even though the very last machines were built down to a price - probably more so than the ones even from the 90s, they are at least still attractive and functional (Star Opal).

For me, I also love the Fidelity "Gelato" series of machines. I will always have a huge soft spot for the original Sensory 9, for example. It was a gorgeous machine that to me was incredibly attractive - one of the best looking machines ever. And although the plastic itself was not first rate and the fit and finish left something to be desired (think piece compartment lids), at least they did ruggedize the finish rather than use these absolutely horrid and impractical black glossy plastics of today. I am currently watching a very expensive used but obviously mint Sensory 9 on eBay and may pounce if it ever comes down to a remotely sensible price - such is my love for this series (but will only consider genuinely mint ones).

I also love the Fidelity Excel 68000 for the same reasons.

The older Mephisto plastic machines left me a little cold, but I think the second generation Europa is a good looking machine. The problem with classic Mephistos is that since their wooden machines were so superbly built and finished, I tended to view the plastic machines almost as an afterthought and a poor man's alternative (which I suppose they were). And it is a bit hard to be attracted to a company's plastic devices when they bring out the best looking chess computer ever - the Mephisto Monte Carlo.

Of the modern machines, the Saitek Maestro is one of my favourites of all time and has superb build quality. But I am not sure if this one truly qualifies as plastic because there is a cast metal "backbone" that effectively serves as a chassis frame. But if you want a really rugged and beautiful machine, it is very hard to beat.

Some of the modern Powerbrains are very well built as well. I am thinking of the ones that have less bells and whistles - for example the little Touch 8 portable has the same build quality I would have expected from machines several decades ago - there is little skimping on the quality anywhere save for the fact that it is plastic. Same with their 8 in 1 desktop models - better build quality than most plastic Novag desktops from the 90s bar perhaps the Emerald Classic / Classic Plus and Diamond / Star Diamond.

Incidentally, speaking of the Diamond "form factor", I actually like the Scorpio the most of all those designs. The reason is that the device was left in the natural finish of the plastic used in its construction, as opposed to the later RISC units that had a painted over plastic finish. Novag were not very consistent in applying spray finishes to their plastic machines - you will often see black marks either caused by wear, accidents or imperfections during assembly at the factory, but this was not a problem with the Scorpio.

I am also curious as to what the new Millennium machines are like. They seem to look good from the photos (nice form factor, attractive and functional, seemingly sensible choice of plastics) but I will need to see one for myself to offer a definitive opinion.

As for Excalibur, I have nothing good to say about any of their plastic machines. So that is all I will say about them :wink:
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

Without a doubt the Fidelity Designer series. Such a superb understated design with the playing surface the focus of the whole piece. It also features a very slim-line design not seen in other boards. Franco Rocco did well. Most other plastic Fidelity's are just plain ugly!

As for the modern boards the Novag Obsidian just looks plain menacing. The black board with contrasting black and silver squares - very imposing. The pieces are nice and wooden too although the black does clash with the squares a little. Shame about the plastic contact though, it almost ruins the whole thing.

Do plastic chess computers have dreams regards,
Your Pal
tt
Cyberchess

Re: Prettier PLASTIC computer

Post by Cyberchess »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:
Fernando wrote:This is for Monsieur Plastique to say something.
But then again, that was the style in those days. Imitation wood finishes adorned everything from car dashboards to Hi Fi systems. There were even Fords made that had imitation wood panelling on the outside!
Yes indeed, I also recall many passenger vans and old-style station wagons that featured the tacky faux wood trim in the 1980’s. I believe that the simulated wood grain plastic chess set concept was introduced in the late 60’s by Pacific Game Co. of Hollywood, CA USA. The popularity of these lower cost and more durable than wood chess sets seemed to snowball, and I recall seeing far more of these at chess tournaments and clubs throughout the 1970’s.

Here’s a 1967 single-weighted Pacific Game Co. Cavalier Chess Set. At some point in the early 70’s, WMF Drueke & Sons, a leader in plastic injection molding, introduced the “double-weighted” plastic chess piece in their enormously popular tournament chess set, featuring extra wide bases for stability. Pacific Game Co. and other manufacturers followed suit, setting a trend that carried over into the real wooden sets as well.

My guess is that the toy and game manufacturers in Hong Kong and elsewhere were already well equipped for faux wood creations, and this expertise was incorporated into many of the schachcomputers of the late 70’s and throughout the 1980’s.

:cool: World of Illusion Regards,
John
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Two of my favorite attractive units are the Novag Jade II and the Star Opal (both mention by Jon).

I really dislike the look of the RS 2250XL. Far too big and stark. I don't mind big boards (eg. Excalibur GM), but the overall size of the 2250XL serves no useful purpose. Sold mine and haven't missed it at all.

Eye Of The Beholder Regards,
Dave