Collector's Corner..On The First Chess Playing Machines...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Collector's Corner..On The First Chess Playing Machines...

Post by Steve B »

As i grow older i find myself looking further and further back in history for chess playing machines to collect

long before the Pc Engines...
long before the dedicated computers...
long before the paper simulations...

were the chess playing automatons
popular among the Kings and Queens of 19th century Europe and then in the 20th century popular among the unwashed masses ..Chess playing automatons ruled the day with machines like the Turk,Mephisto and Ajeeb

Well i have finally acquired a chess playing automation released by Fidelity Electronics

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@ ... 922175252/

Back To The Future Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Is this a Ron Nelson machine? 8)
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:Is this a Ron Nelson machine? 8)
That's what I get for bringing up Nelsons Name...

Sigh Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Serious question here. A few photos further along you have the innards of a Saitek Explorer built into a custom wooden peg sensory housing. Do you mind if I ask who built it and what it cost you?
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:Serious question here. A few photos further along you have the innards of a Saitek Explorer built into a custom wooden peg sensory housing. Do you mind if I ask who built it and what it cost you?
if you look closely at the photo description you will see that the computer is NOT IN MY COLLECTION
I use the "Unique Computers "album for unusual chess computers some of which I do not own
the creator of that beauty is also mentioned in the photo description

better known here as....

Chessmaster Ireland Regards
Steve
klute

Re: Collector's Corner..On The First Chess Playing Machines.

Post by klute »

Steve B wrote: Well i have finally acquired a chess playing automation released by Fidelity Electronics
I actually researched these things earlier this year and almost thought about trying to find one because, well, they're still a Fidelity!

The circuitry / chips in many of them appears to go bad though, so instead of telling your fortune you'll get gibberish (which some will say you'll get with a perfectly working unit anyway) or nothing.

You're also pretty stuffed if you don't have a full set of cards, or cards in good condition.
The Klute offers you the white pieces and the advantage of the first move.
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:Serious question here. A few photos further along you have the innards of a Saitek Explorer built into a custom wooden peg sensory housing. Do you mind if I ask who built it and what it cost you?
Yes as Steve's regards states, It was an old conversation of mine when in those days I was sticking wood on any old plastic chess computer I could lay my hands on.

Now after many years of therapy, I realise that plastic can be attractive (unless it's the forthcoming Millennium Genius) and have now stopped desecrating them.

Infact with the help of a couple of computer engineer friends, I have learnt over the past five years how to build and program my own autosensory chess computers. So no more converted old chess computers from me, only building brand new ones that people will probably never see.

Clean for five years regards
Bryan
klute

Post by klute »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:I was sticking wood on any old plastic chess computer I could lay my hands on.
Bryan, I'm glad to see you're recovered and once again a valued and fully integrated member of chess computer society.

Plastic abuse has become a terrible scourge perpetrated by addicts high on wood, but there are people who can help.
The Klute offers you the white pieces and the advantage of the first move.
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Collector's Corner..On The First Chess Playing Machines.

Post by Steve B »

klute wrote:
The circuitry / chips in many of them appears to go bad though, so instead of telling your fortune you'll get gibberish (which some will say you'll get with a perfectly working unit anyway) or nothing.
The Taro i have works perfectly
you must use only the correct"activation" cards or you get gibberish
only 3 certain cards out of the whole deck
once activated you then use the whole deck
when you read the manual you get the impression they were serious about his ability to tell you your future
they actually got a Clinical Psychologist to write the manual

when you insert the various cards a tune plays and then you are treated to your forecast and a glimpse into the future
you can get a monthly forecast..a daily forecast or ask him a yes or no question
after following the involved card insertion procedure my forcast involved several predictions

one of them read....
You will soon have a life changing REVELATION
:P
thats really what it said

I am trying to attach the Fidelity Thermal Printer (model FP) to
Taro's mouth so i can record the predictions..if that doesnt work ill try the Impact Printer(model IPC)

i am using it today to find out what Apple's Stock will be selling for next week

I Am Going To Be Rich Beyond My Wildest Dreams I Tell You Regards
Steve
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Steve
So this was released when Fidelity where also producing chess computers.
Did they release any more quirky electronic toys around this time?
Eighties regards
Bryan
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Steve
So this was released when Fidelity where also producing chess computers.
Did they release any more quirky electronic toys around this time?
Eighties regards
Bryan
Actually i think they did Bryan ..but the only non chess playing computer i have of theirs is the Taro so i couldnt say what else they sold

Today i will ask the Great Taro a simple Yes Or No Question

Did Nelson Program the GM Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Now after many years of therapy, I realise that plastic can be attractive (unless it's the forthcoming Millennium Genius) and have now stopped desecrating them.
Well I really liked what you did with that Explorer, even if you did have to desecrate plastique to achieve it. I especially like the fact that it is a peg sensory board. And just think - such a product - with the Explorer Pro innards rather than the 16K innards - could easily have been offered by Saitek as a luxury model in this day and age - probably for well under $600 given the way prices have fallen over the years.

It is actually a great pity that there are no really nice wooden machines for the mass market these days. Then again, perhaps the quality would not be so good anyway. I think what really made the old wooden machines what they were was the excellent German build quality - it wasn't really the same when manufacturing moved to China. It is very hard to go past those excellent little Monte Carlos of the past, for example.

As for the upcoming Genius, I would not be the slightest bit surprised if we see someone come up with a DIY Genius Deluxe. The innards would certainly be cheap enough, leaving a lot of time and budget to allocate to the wood bits.
Monsieur Plastique

Steve B wrote:Did Nelson Program the GM
Had you not just mentioned Nelson, we could have hitherto blamed Fernando for being the resident rebel-rouser protagonist, having the dubious honour of being the original poster in nearly every flame-throwing thread bearing this illustrious engineer's name.

But now you share the Blame Regards.

As do I :P
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:
Steve B wrote:Did Nelson Program the GM
Had you not just mentioned Nelson, we could have hitherto blamed Fernando for being the resident rebel-rouser protagonist, having the dubious honour of being the original poster in nearly every flame-throwing thread bearing this illustrious engineer's name.

But now you share the Blame Regards.

As do I :P
the name Nelson has not been forever banned for use here
however ..any posts with the names Nelson and GM in the same sentence ..do need prior written approval from the Moderating team before they can be posted

Peace Keeping Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Having received by monthly prediction yesterday.. i was eager for my daily prediction
i inserted the "Sunday" card and the Great Taro ..played its little jingle. and then prophesied the following...

"Your Patience Is Wearing Thin"

Anyone reading the other thread knows this is true:
Steve B wrote: and at nearly 60 I can say I have gotten worse as I grow older
I would mark the start of my decline at just around 50
went from playing third board for my University team(in my early 20's) ...to becoming bored with the game today..
well not bored exactly .. more like.. impatient
I don't even play long games against my computers anymore
nothing slower then game/30..usually game in 5 or 10

The Future just Aint What It Used To Be Regards
Steve