Touch Screen as a Chess Computer ?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
NigelNice

Touch Screen as a Chess Computer ?

Post by NigelNice »

Hello All,

New member here. I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question.

I was wondering if anybody has tried using a touch screen tablet or PC as the basis for a sensory Chess Computer ?

The idea is to use the screen horizontally as a sensory board and play with suitable pieces.

As an example I've used my iPad running tChess Pro with some small metal chess pieces. As the pieces are conductive the machine detects when you touch and move each piece.

I'll post some photo's when I can figure out how.

It does work, so the idea seems valid. But the screen and pieces are rather small. I'm sure there's scope here for something better.

There are some much larger screens available now, even table sized ones. All you need is a chess app and suitable pieces.

With Windows 8 or 10 you could run any PC GUI and a strong engine.. Anyone like to have a try ?

Best Regards,
Nige.
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Hi Nige

Yes I did a similar thing quite a few years ago with an old original Windows tablet running Arena. I used very small self adhesive plastic domes under each square of my flexible plastic board that activated the moves.

Not too sure if I would ever try it on my iPad incase I damage my screen.

Regards
Bryan