Systema (Krypton) Challenge, 6V or 9V DC?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
paulwise3

Systema (Krypton) Challenge, 6V or 9V DC?

Post by paulwise3 »

Today I received the Krypton Challenge in original packing. It works on batteries and on a DC adapter. But there is a strange discrepancy in what voltage to use with the adapter.
1. The documentation states it different per language:
- Dutch: 9V, 300mA
- German: Check if the voltage of your adapter is the same as specified (no voltage mentioned!)
- French: 9V, center positive.
(- English not available)
So, all kind of variations.

2. But, looking at the bottom of the machine itself, there is clearly stated:
Adapter: DC in 6V, center positive.

So what to choose...?
But then, looking at the computer once more, I noticed another discrepancy: It is labelled "Systema Challenge", where the packaging says "Krypton Challenge"!

Anyone of you have experience with this Systema Challenge (nice Horvath program)? On batteries it works fine, but for matchplaying I prefer an adapter.

Hope someone has an answer,

Puzzled regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
afos99

Post by afos99 »

Hi Paul

I too have a Systema Challenge with 6v input on the device. I would try to use a 6v adapter to be safe. Sorry not much help but perhaps you can help me.

I found the software not very user friendly. Pressing New Game will only reset when it's your turn. If the computer is thinking or you are trapped in one of the menus like Position Setup you have to either remove the batteries or press the ACL button. I was wondering if it is faulty!?

Unimpressed of Brighton

Dave
spacious_mind

Re: Systema (Krypton) Challenge, 6V or 9V DC?

Post by spacious_mind »

paulwise3 wrote:Today I received the Krypton Challenge in original packing. It works on batteries and on a DC adapter. But there is a strange discrepancy in what voltage to use with the adapter.
1. The documentation states it different per language:
- Dutch: 9V, 300mA
- German: Check if the voltage of your adapter is the same as specified (no voltage mentioned!)
- French: 9V, center positive.
(- English not available)
So, all kind of variations.

2. But, looking at the bottom of the machine itself, there is clearly stated:
Adapter: DC in 6V, center positive.

So what to choose...?
But then, looking at the computer once more, I noticed another discrepancy: It is labelled "Systema Challenge", where the packaging says "Krypton Challenge"!

Anyone of you have experience with this Systema Challenge (nice Horvath program)? On batteries it works fine, but for matchplaying I prefer an adapter.

Hope someone has an answer,

Puzzled regards,
Paul
Hi Paul

Krypton is the manufacturer. The UK distributor was Systema so you will see their name on the packaging. In the US if Excalibur was the distributor for Krypton then you would also on some computer packaging see the name Excalibur. It's kind of like Systema had Europe distribution rights whereas Excalibur had North America.

Regards
Nick
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

afos99 wrote:Hi Paul

I too have a Systema Challenge with 6v input on the device. I would try to use a 6v adapter to be safe. Sorry not much help but perhaps you can help me.

I found the software not very user friendly. Pressing New Game will only reset when it's your turn. If the computer is thinking or you are trapped in one of the menus like Position Setup you have to either remove the batteries or press the ACL button. I was wondering if it is faulty!?

Unimpressed of Brighton

Dave
Hi Dave,
This is normal behaviour, yes. If the computer is thinking you can force it to move. Don't have the machine at hand, but guess its the Move button. And yes, in position menu you have to be careful. Make sure that both kings are on the board, then most of the time you can get out of it.

Tonight I will try the 6V option first...

Regards, Paul
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Ok, on a 6V dc with positive center it works fine (relieved sigh).
Maybe I am lucky the previous owner only used batteries...
Very bad that the accompaniing manuals are wrong at thiz point...

Regards, Paul
klute

Post by klute »

paulwise3 wrote:But there is a strange discrepancy in what voltage to use with the adapter.
Many reasonably upmarket chess computers (I'd put the Challenge in this class although I haven't opened one up) use a Zener Diode for voltage regulation - physically it's tiny, but one of the most important components that makes sure your machine works / doesn't blow up.

With most machines like this you could use batteries (nominally 6V in most cases) or typically either a 9V or 6V AC adaptor. Internally, the Zener Diode will regulate voltage regardless of the power source - off the top of my head, a typical value is around 5.6V for many Fidelity units.

So whether you're operating on batteries at a nominal 6V or an AC adaptor at a nominal 9V (or even 12V) it will be regulated to around 6V or slightly less.
The Klute offers you the white pieces and the advantage of the first move.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

klute wrote:So whether you're operating on batteries at a nominal 6V or an AC adaptor at a nominal 9V (or even 12V) it will be regulated to around 6V or slightly less.
Ok, thanx, but as you know a lot more about this then I do: what happens if one changes polarity, e.g. center minus instead of center plus? That would complete the picture for me ;-)

AC+/-DC regards,
Paul
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

klute wrote:
paulwise3 wrote:But there is a strange discrepancy in what voltage to use with the adapter.
Many reasonably upmarket chess computers (I'd put the Challenge in this class although I haven't opened one up) use a Zener Diode for voltage regulation - physically it's tiny, but one of the most important components that makes sure your machine works / doesn't blow up.

With most machines like this you could use batteries (nominally 6V in most cases) or typically either a 9V or 6V AC adaptor. Internally, the Zener Diode will regulate voltage regardless of the power source - off the top of my head, a typical value is around 5.6V for many Fidelity units.

So whether you're operating on batteries at a nominal 6V or an AC adaptor at a nominal 9V (or even 12V) it will be regulated to around 6V or slightly less.
Correct I have used both 6V and 9V on the Horvath's they have never given me a problem with either voltage.
Nick
klute

Post by klute »

paulwise3 wrote:what happens if one changes polarity, e.g. center minus instead of center plus? That would complete the picture for me
It would mainly depend on how electrically robust the Schachcomputer in question is. In many cases the picture wouldn't be pretty!

I still think of the late and great Tom Luif blowing up his British Chess King Counter Gambit due to inadvertently using incorrect polarity.

At the other end of the scale, the most electrically robust Schachcomputer I've encountered is the East German Chess Master Diamond with its whopping great fuse and Soyuz spacecraft quality.
The Klute offers you the white pieces and the advantage of the first move.
bill_reed

Post by bill_reed »

I have a Systema challenger, same as the Comet and Regency, also the Excalibur Legend II. they all use 4x aa 1.2/1.5 volt batteries. so the main adaptor should be a 6 volts. says 6 volt adaptor on the back of mine... I use a 6 volt adaptor for a year or two and have had no problems. it not to bad a computer as you can shave the style of play, more attacking or more defensive...
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

bill_reed wrote:I have a Systema challenger, same as the Comet and Regency, also the Excalibur Legend II.
I have both the Sphinx Concerto and the Krypton/Systema Challenge :-), practically clones.
bill_reed wrote: it not to bad a computer as you can shave the style of play, more attacking or more defensive...
I am experimenting with all 7 user changeable evaluation criteria set to 20, then they play even more alike. With this setting it plays the more active moves in certain positions, which gives slightly better results. On the other hand, in defensive positions it becomes slightly weaker.
When I have more time (oh, how did I ever find the time to work 9 hours a day?!?) I intend to do more experimenting with several settings.

Best regards, Paul