Awful Sargon 4

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Awful Sargon 4

Post by Fernando »

I have heard before about what a mess was done with sargon 4 program, but It is necesary to play it -today an abandoned DOS ware you can find for free in many places- to realize how much damage was done.
Suposedly it was an improvement over already good sargon 3, but something happened with the code.
Perhaps you will not believe me if I say to you that CC7 looks like a FIDE master compared with this one....
I wonder how was possible such a mishap.
Now of course all that is old, ancient history, but .....

Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Re: Awful Sargon 4

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:I have heard before about what a mess was done with sargon 4 program, but It is necesary to play it -today an abandoned DOS ware you can find for free in many places- to realize how much damage was done.
Suposedly it was an improvement over already good sargon 3, but something happened with the code.
Perhaps you will not believe me if I say to you that CC7 looks like a FIDE master compared with this one....

Fern
Nelson may have helped... LOL
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:I have heard before about what a mess was done with sargon 4 program, but It is necesary to play it -today an abandoned DOS ware you can find for free in many places- to realize how much damage was done.

Fern
Well, no :-)
It looks like the Spracklen code was corrupted in the process of being ported and that only next sargon 5 put things in its place.
I wonder if a patch exist or was ever produced. My guess is NO.

Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Fern
It looks like the Spracklen code was corrupted in the process of being ported and that only next sargon 5 put things in its place.

Fern
Ah you are too studious. It was meant as a joke.
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Fern

Fern
I know that, what do you think. It is juts I wanted to follow up with the issue
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Fern

Fern
I know that, what do you think. It is juts I wanted to follow up with the issue
Well I might go back and study the manual for credits to see if there is a Nelson name somewhere. If not I will type it in and pretend it was always there !!

Best regards
Nick