Baden-Baden, 1911

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Baden-Baden, 1911

Post by Fernando »

A propos the history of the Lost Tournament, here I offer you an anecdote ocurred in Baden Baden when two very old players played a game. One was Bardeleben, aged 83, an the other I do not remember his name, but he was 86.
Bardeleben won and his rival comented: "this was the victory of youth..."

Humor has no age regards
Fern
Festina Lente
vonderlasa

Post by vonderlasa »

Alas, your story has the wrong protagonist. Bardeleben died at age 62 by either jumping or falling out a window. Jacques Mieses at age 84 beat 86 year old van Foreest in 1949,and declared that youth had triumphed. I think it was at Hastings.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

vonderlasa wrote:Alas, your story has the wrong protagonist. Bardeleben died at age 62 by either jumping or falling out a window. Jacques Mieses at age 84 beat 86 year old van Foreest in 1949,and declared that youth had triumphed. I think it was at Hastings.
You are absolutely right. Now you have a glimpse about how works the mind of a writer: what matters is the history, not the rest....
Baden Baden has the adequate sound of something of the air of la belle epoque, same with the name of the chess player...
Hastings was not good enough for me.....

No Shameful regards
Fern
Festina Lente