Interested in an Americas Chess Comp Tournament - Online?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Interested in an Americas Chess Comp Tournament - Online?

Post by spacious_mind »

I was visiting Alain's site yesterday and noticed that the last event of his world famous Paris Chess Computer Tournament was held in 2013.

I am sure many of you used to follow this Tournament annually as one of the major international live Dedicated Chess Computer Tournaments held annually from 2006 onwards. There are very few major live event's left nowadays. Steffen's Oldie Klingenberg Tournament is another good one. Added to this you have the D.A.C.H tournament held in south Germany and Holland's Gebraucherturnier-Dedicated Chess computer Tournament.

And that sums it up.

Well a thought struck as I was looking at Alain's site of why not hold a tournament in North America, but quickly realized that this would be very hard to organize because of the enormous distances between collectors and dedicated chess enthusiasts here. I for example live in the deep South, Steve in the North East, Alain is somewhere in the North West, then we have some in California.

To put some perspective into this, if I were to travel up to Steve, then across to Alain and down to California and then back Alabama, that would probably be a round trip of around 8000-9000 miles or 13,000 to 14,000 Kilometers. Now that's daunting.

Anyway, instead of a live face - to - face tournament, why don't we instead just do a quick 5-Round weekend tournament sometime in the forthcoming long dark Winter months?

This could be easily organized and anyone who want's to participate, could!

For a 5 round tournament all that is needed is 6 participants and if more want to enter, then this event can quickly be changed to a 5 Round, Round-Robin.

Since there are different time-zones involved, a thought would be to say for example play 3 matches on Day 1 using Eastern Time Zone at say 10.00 or 11.00 AM, 2.00 or 3.00 PM and 6.00 or 7.00 PM. The second day 2 rounds could also be arranged accordingly. Meaning the tournament is completed over 2 days of commitment from your lounge chair!

If the above example times are used, then all our South American friends and European friends could also join in the fun if they wanted to as well!

Australia would be a challenge but perhaps possible as well!

I have already contacted Alain and he is interested in continuing the tradition albeit a little modified and Steve is interested as well. So long as we keep it short over a couple of days or a couple of Saturdays or Sundays. I agree to this as well as this makes it fast and easy, fun and minimum organizational effort is required.

So now who else of our Worldwide dedicated chess computer friends is interested in playing in an Online Tournament?

As for the name of the Tournament we can call it what ever we decide. For example. The Online Americas Dedicated Computer Chess Championship or the Hiarcs Online Dedicated Computer Chess Cup (Hiarcs permitting) or whatever else sounds good.

I suggested to Alain to call it "Alain's North American Venture Cup" but he thought that sounded bad! :P

Anyway if you have interest then please respond to the post. Regarding strength class of dedicated computer entrants, we can decide upon that once the interest had been gaged and what computers are available for entry into the tournament.

Best regards
Nick
Nick
mychess

Post by mychess »

Hello,

Good idea!
I'm ready for dedicated computer chess tournament with a Novag or Fidelity computer.

Olivier.
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Interested in an Americas Chess Comp Tournament - Online

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:Well a thought struck as I was looking at Alain's site of why not hold a tournament in North America, but quickly realized that this would be very hard to organize because of the enormous distances between collectors and dedicated chess enthusiasts here. I for example live in the deep South, Steve in the North East, Alain is somewhere in the North West, then we have some in California.

To put some perspective into this, if I were to travel up to Steve, then across to Alain and down to California and then back Alabama, that would probably be a round trip of around 8000-9000 miles or 13,000 to 14,000 Kilometers. Now that's daunting.
what a contrast to the German collectors who I think all live within 5-10 miles of each other
:P

yes I am interested
any elo range is OK with me
I imagine someone will want to participate with the new Millennium Genius
which would be interesting.. although we would have to guess at its ELO
my only qualification is I would not be interested in having any modified computers in the tournament

Pure Breeds Regards
Steve
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote:what a contrast to the German collectors who I think all live within 5-10 miles of each other
where I live (in Regensburg, in the south east of Germany) we're 3 within less than 5 miles! :D

Regards from far away, Michael
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

blaubaer wrote:Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote:what a contrast to the German collectors who I think all live within 5-10 miles of each other
where I live (in Regensburg, in the south east of Germany) we're 3 within less than 5 miles! :D

Regards from far away, Michael
East Germany
the home of the VEB RFT DDR Schachcomputers
your next Mysticum project is to make one for this:

http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... chachtisch

:P Regards
Steve
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote: East Germany
the home of the VEB RFT DDR Schachcomputers
your next Mysticum project is to make one for this:

http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... chachtisch

:P Regards
Steve
looks good; as I'm now familiar with veneering this could be a future project... :D

By the way: Regensburg is located in the south east, means within the region Bavaria (Oktoberfest, Lederhose, Weisswurst and Bier) - that's not far away from the east but is the home of Mephisto :twisted: !

Lederhosen Regards, Michael
steffen

Post by steffen »

I would like to participate in such a tournament.

In order to recall I was the person who invented the very first online chess computer tournament in the world that was played back in the end of the year 2004/beginning of 2005.

I agree with you, Steve, to play only with original unmodified chess computers. B.t.w, there exists an interesting article in the actual issue of Germany´s leading chess magazine "Rochade" about the ChessGenius. The estimation is somewhere between 2000 and 2200, but clearly above 2000.

I also like your suggestion, Nick, to play in the weekend. Your ideas for the time/hours are very good. So both the Americas and Europe can participate.
The idea to play on just ONE weekend is brilliant!
steffen

Post by steffen »

Hey, if some Europeans took part, it would "Nick´s Intercontinental Chess Computer Tournament"

;)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

blaubaer wrote:

By the way: Regensburg is located in the south east, means within the region Bavaria (Oktoberfest, Lederhose, Weisswurst and Bier) - that's not far away from the east but is the home of Mephisto :twisted: !
Thanks for the Geography Lesson Michael
i didnt know that

Better Informed Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

steffen wrote:I would like to participate in such a tournament.
I think that makes 5!

Well Done Regards
Steve
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi,

I am interested too in such a tournament, nice idea!
But can anyone tell me how to translate these eastern time zone times to european times?

As for distances, for me it is 135 km to Leiden, and 900 km to the DACH tournament, which I will attend for the first time this year :D.
So not the distances of North America, but far enough to be uncomfortable...

Travel trouble regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
steffen

Post by steffen »

Hi Paul,

Eastern US time is 6 hours behind our time here in Central Europe. So if we have 16 hours/4 p.m., they have 10 a.m.

Steffen
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

steffen wrote:Hi Paul,

Eastern US time is 6 hours behind our time here in Central Europe. So if we have 16 hours/4 p.m., they have 10 a.m.

Steffen
but to complicate matters
in about a month we here in the US will turn our clocks backwards 1 HR
So 10 am will become 9am

Backpedaling Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
steffen wrote:Hi Paul,

Steffen
but to complicate matters
in about a month we here in the US will turn our clocks backwards 1 HR
So 10 am will become 9am

Backpedaling Regards
Steve
Hey that's true so time difference to say Holland and Germany would only be 5 hours. But that only applies for about 3 weeks until the Europeans change their clocks end of November or is it end of October? Losing track of all the clock changes.

I think it's a good idea to do the tournament early November? Late November is closer to Thanksgiving conflicts and after that you are moving into the Christmas rush.

I am pleased that we already have 6 people interested. Means the tournament can take place :)

It would be nice to have some more to make it a really good Round Robin :)

Come on folks!!

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

steffen wrote:Hey, if some Europeans took part, it would "Nick´s Intercontinental Chess Computer Tournament"

;)
Hi Steffen,

I already have an Intercontinental Chess Computer Tournament that I need to finish some day so the name is a conflict :P

But also really I want this tournament to be a stop gap for Alain's Paris Tournament so that the tournament theme can continue until someday if that is the plan he return to Paris.

So really it is going to be Alain's Tournament hopefully to Post results at his Website and of course he will also have to be happy with the name.

best regards
Nick