Interested in an Americas Chess Comp Tournament - Online?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Walter Lang

Post by Walter Lang »

spacious_mind wrote:What do you think folks?
positive :-)

Walter
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Walter Lang wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:What do you think folks?
positive :-)

Walter
Yes!
Playchess is already selling tickets
the Scalpers are asking $2500 for

First Row Seats Regards
Steve
steffen

Post by steffen »

Have they got glasses for those who don´t believe what they see?
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

mychess wrote:Good evening everyone,

Thank you to all participants (and those who could not be present) and Nick especially for this tournament.
I hope this first tournament for dedicated machines by Internet (for me) will be followed by many others.

Thank you again to all.

Mychess.
Thanks! And thanks to you all for participating and making it such a great event! It was really fun to see so many countries (six!!!) and 3 continents participating :P

I know everyone worked hard today to make this a success. It was a tough schedule!

Hopefully we can do this again in May if everyone want to!

Best regards
Nick
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

first of all thanks to Nick for his extraordinary work as head of this tournament!

The tournament caused some effort, especialy playing at 1 am in the morning is hard for me, but it was a real pleasure! The result is clear, the SB evaluation counts.

Content Regards,
Michael
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,
spacious_mind wrote:Hopefully we can do this again in May if everyone want to!
I'm definitely in for the May Tournament next year!

Here my two whishes for the next tournament :wink: :

- Please publish your Hangouts contact info and establish the Hangouts chat beforehand the tournament. We can save a lot of time and confusion if we do so. Even more as Playchess provides guest accounts with rolling ids (after logoff and logon), so it's hard to find a person logged in as a guest or to find a match between two guests. In Hangouts we can comunicate this info before the match. It's also possible, but not recommended, to play the whole match via Hangouts only, if there is a problem with Playchess or wired internet (as my first match with Ricardo)

- More time between two rounds, three hours minimum, otherwise participants have to wait until the last match ends (Swiss System). Possibly take two weekends?

Nevertheless, Nick did a tremendous job and I hope to meet you all in May next year!

Regards, Michael
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

I am also in for May.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

ricard60 wrote:I am also in for May.
And so am I :D.
Hopefully my wife doesn't plan our holiday then...

In the meantime we can discuss which elo range will be used for the choice of our machine. For instance, most of the time 100-limit is used (I mean up to 1800, 1900, 2000, 2100 etc.). This time we could use a 50 limit for a change (e.g. up to 1750, 1850, 1950, etc.) so other machines become favourite instead of the usual suspects.

On the other hand we could use the same as in this tournament, as a kind of revanche possibility ;)

To be discussed regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

blaubaer wrote:Hi,
spacious_mind wrote:Hopefully we can do this again in May if everyone want to!
I'm definitely in for the May Tournament next year!

Here my two whishes for the next tournament :wink: :

- Please publish your Hangouts contact info and establish the Hangouts chat beforehand the tournament. We can save a lot of time and confusion if we do so. Even more as Playchess provides guest accounts with rolling ids (after logoff and logon), so it's hard to find a person logged in as a guest or to find a match between two guests. In Hangouts we can comunicate this info before the match. It's also possible, but not recommended, to play the whole match via Hangouts only, if there is a problem with Playchess or wired internet (as my first match with Ricardo)

- More time between two rounds, three hours minimum, otherwise participants have to wait until the last match ends (Swiss System). Possibly take two weekends?

Regards, Michael
I agree a common tool like Hangouts was essential for me to get guestnames and send them to people. It also helped a lot to communicate and talk to people. To know who else is playing where so that the game could be watched and followed. As a member I really like Playchess a lot, because of the great chessboard and the way your games are so easily saved in a folder that you can take a game from and just paste it into a forum post without any hassle.

To protect your personal life, it is easy to create another gmail account that you only use for chess as I did with my: thespaciousmind account. Therefore I have no problems sharing it and the Google Hangouts that comes with it, as I will probably only use it if I have matches to play.

Yes, I agree we need to have 3 hours between games in future to make it a little less hectic :P after all we were scheduling for contestants in 5 different time zones!

I think 5 Rounds worked just fine for one weekend as you can see from the final standings it keeps all the games quite exciting up to the final round if the contestants are well matched. A tournament with 4 Rounds would be too little and 6 Rounds or more rounds probably too much for a weekend.

This time we were restricted a little with peoples previous commitments, therefore I think with enough advance notice for the next tournament the home arrangements can be planned better for everyone in the future and this would allow us to take advantage of the Saturday much better as well.

Since May next year is I think enough notice for everyone, I think we should fix a weekend in May pretty soon and then everyone can arrange themselves accordingly.

With Playchess server time being the same as Central European Time it would be better to schedule as follows for the next Tournament:

Round 1 Saturday - Playchess time: 14:30 (05:30 Pacific)
Round 2 Saturday - Playchess time: 17:30 (08:30 Pacific)
Round 3 Saturday - Playchess time: 20:30 (11:30 Pacific)

Round 4 Sunday - Playchess time: 14:30 (05:30 Pacific)
Round 5 Sunday - Playchess time: 17:30 (08:30 Pacific)

Best regards
Nick
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Nick,

that's a nice schedule, especially for me as early bird....

Should I move to California? 8)

As we have school holidays in May, which are already reserved for the family, and we have a theater subscription, only the first (April 30/May 1) and the last (May 28/29) weekend are available for me!

Regards, Michael
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

blaubaer wrote:Hi Nick,

that's a nice schedule, especially for me as early bird....

Should I move to California? 8)

As we have school holidays in May, which are already reserved for the family, and we have a theater subscription, only the first (April 30/May 1) and the last (May 28/29) weekend are available for me!

Regards, Michael
Hi Michael,

I am thinking about another option! How about we do the May tournament as a 5 Round Swiss with only 1 game per week over 5 weeks? And we keep the Winter Tournament as a 1 weekend tournament. This way we have two types of Dedicated computer tournaments per year?

Also I did promise that we would do a tournament to accommodate, Mysticum, Gavon, Revelations and maybe even DOS. Perhaps we arrange this tournament to take place sometime between now and May. . Somewhere in the middle.

We would have to figure out the rules around it and any constrictions?

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
I am thinking about another option! How about we do the May tournament as a 5 Round Swiss with only 1 game per week over 5 weeks?
this works for me
I really cant play in an event that takes place over an entire weekend or several entire weekends were the better part of several consecutive whole days are needed to play
the entire event on one day or 1 game per weekend over many weekends is perfect for me personally

how about we make the 5 weekend event a longer time control?
say 1-2 min per move?
with the 30 sec events taking place over 1 weekend?

so you have two types of tournaments:
"Active" chess event(30 sec)-- all games played in 1 weekend
"Standard" chess event(1 min or more)-all games played over several weekends..1 game per weekend

perhaps with the longer events ..we could even get some members from "Down Under" to compete
:P

Full Tournament Calendar Regards
Steve
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Nick,
spacious_mind wrote: I am thinking about another option! How about we do the May tournament as a 5 Round Swiss with only 1 game per week over 5 weeks?
Generally that's fine for me, but in May next year I'm on vacation for more than one week (without internet access); so I would miss one complete round and I would interfere the tournament.
spacious_mind wrote: And we keep the Winter Tournament as a 1 weekend tournament. This way we have two types of Dedicated computer tournaments per year?
Good idea, as it's hard to find a complete weekend for all participants, one of those weekend tournaments could be enough.
spacious_mind wrote:Also I did promise that we would do a tournament to accommodate, Mysticum, Gavon, Revelations and maybe even DOS. Perhaps we arrange this tournament to take place sometime between now and May. . Somewhere in the middle.
With a round robin tournament we would not have to wait round per round and we are more flexible.

Regards,
Michael
Alain

Post by Alain »

I also like the idea of a less compact tournament: one thing I missed this week-end compared to Paris tournament or a schachcomputer.info tournament I participated years ago was the possibility to watch other player's games.
It was probably not impossible to do but if all the games were not played at the exact same time, it would be a lot easier.

Anyway, this was really great to have this event.

Best regards,
Alain
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,
Alain wrote:....one thing I missed this week-end compared to Paris tournament or a schachcomputer.info tournament I participated years ago was the possibility to watch other player's games.
another good argument for a round robin tournament...

Kiebitz :shock: Regards,
Michael