Interested in an Americas Chess Comp Tournament - Online?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Steve B wrote: how about we make the 5 weekend event a longer time control?
say 1-2 min per move?
with the 30 sec events taking place over 1 weekend?

so you have two types of tournaments:
"Active" chess event(30 sec)-- all games played in 1 weekend
"Standard" chess event(1 min or more)-all games played over several weekends..1 game per weekend

perhaps with the longer events ..we could even get some members from "Down Under" to compete :P
I like the idea of a 5 or 6 weeks (depending on number of participants) tournament with longer time control. But I would prefer 1 minute/move then, else games could last really very long.
And like Michael I have to check for our holiday plans, we often go on holiday for 1 or 2 weeks in may...

Maybe the last round should then take place 2 weeks later instead of 1 week, to allow for some delay in previous rounds.

Just thinking outloud regards,
Paul

Paul.
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

A challenge to the winners.

Hiarcs would like to play you. I will set the Hiarcs limit strength to the elo of the dedicated computers and we can see how the games go. Same time control as the tournament you just played and we play 2 games black and white. It will also show how accurate, or not, the limit strength feature of Hiarcs is.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

paulwise3 wrote:
I like the idea of a 5 or 6 weeks (depending on number of participants) tournament with longer time control. But I would prefer 1 minute/move then, else games could last really very long.
And like Michael I have to check for our holiday plans, we often go on holiday for 1 or 2 weeks in may...
actually there is nothing special about May
i can play at any time from May-September

1 min avg is fine with me Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

blaubaer wrote:Hi,
Alain wrote:....one thing I missed this week-end compared to Paris tournament or a schachcomputer.info tournament I participated years ago was the possibility to watch other player's games.
another good argument for a round robin tournament...

Kiebitz :shock: Regards,
Michael
Hi Michael,

Not that I am against a round robin, which we can do for the spring Mysticum/Gavon tournament as we might not get so many people entering, but for the regular tournament, it wont work because if the Tournament drags on for too long then people start to have less interest and not enough time. for example the tournament we just played with 10 people would have taken 9 weeks to play. I am expecting in the spring to have even more people wanting to enter and therefore if it ends up being say 14 or 16 people then we would be doing a round robin for 15 weeks (4 months) which just takes too long to complete.

Not everybody is as hardcore tournament players as you or I might be.
:P

I think we should keep the May tournament as Steve suggested a 5 or 6 round tournament (depending on how many people join) and play Swiss at maybe a longer time setting like 1 minute or 2 minutes per move if that becomes a preference to change it up a bit.

But I am open to suggestions on what the majority prefers. You know I am always open for a game :)

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Harvey Williamson wrote:A challenge to the winners.

Hiarcs would like to play you. I will set the Hiarcs limit strength to the elo of the dedicated computers and we can see how the games go. Same time control as the tournament you just played and we play 2 games black and white. It will also show how accurate, or not, the limit strength feature of Hiarcs is.
Great Idea
lets see which one of the Co-Winners has the courage to accept the ...

Hiarcs Challenge Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Hi Harvey,

We are always up for a challenge! If you are suggesting a match against Portorose then I am ready whenever Hiarcs is :)

PS. you are also welcome to join our Mysticum/Gavon tournament to test it against them at a higher setting if it interests you? As Forum Chiefs you are entitled to it !!

Best regards
Nick
Nick
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

spacious_mind wrote:

Hi Harvey,

We are always up for a challenge! If you are suggesting a match against Portorose then I am ready whenever Hiarcs is :)

PS. you are also welcome to join our Mysticum/Gavon tournament to test it against them at a higher setting if it interests you? As Forum Chiefs you are entitled to it !!

Best regards
Nick
That could be interesting if I am free on the dates of the tournament. Otherwise we can arrange the match against the tournament winner/s on a day that works.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Hi Harvey,

Best regards
Nick
That could be interesting if I am free on the dates of the tournament. Otherwise we can arrange the match against the tournament winner/s on a day that works.
Ok if you want to test your speed setting against Portorose then let me know what weekend suits you. I am an early bird so I am always good from around 6.00 AM US Central time (Noon your time) onwards. A little earlier even if needed, and this coming Wednesday is a holiday here so that day works for me too! We could do a best of 3

best regards
Nick
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

spacious_mind wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Hi Harvey,

Best regards
Nick
Ok if you want to test your speed setting against Portorose then let me know what weekend suits you. I am an early bird so I am always good from around 6.00 AM US Central time (Noon your time) onwards. A little earlier even if needed, and this coming Wednesday is a holiday here so that day works for me too! We could do a best of 3

best regards
ok! 21st November works for me at noon my time - what is the time control and what is the elo rating I should use?
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Hi Harvey,

Best regards
Nick

best regards
ok! 21st November works for me at noon my time - what is the time control and what is the elo rating I should use?
OK that works for me. The time setting I used is average time of 30 seconds per move (60/30). At Schachcomputer.Info it is rated at ELO 2271 which I also think is quite accurate as I had played most of the games for that rating in a Revelation tournament with TM Portorose playing in it. The tournament result from this past weekend seems to confirm that this rating is accurate as well for Active Chess. However having said that I don't know how your set up works with your program. Because playing at a strength of 2271 at 3 minutes per move would be different than the rating performance shown at Schachcomputer.Info which has every computer strength estimated based on average 30 seconds per move. How do the adjustments for time work in the Hiarcs program? Or would this be a trial by error test?

ps... am I making sense?

best regards
Nick
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

spacious_mind wrote: OK that works for me. The time setting I used is average time of 30 seconds per move (60/30). At Schachcomputer.Info it is rated at ELO 2271 which I also think is quite accurate as I had played most of the games for that rating in a Revelation tournament with TM Portorose playing in it. The tournament result from this past weekend seems to confirm that this rating is accurate as well for Active Chess. However having said that I don't know how your set up works with your program. Because playing at a strength of 2271 at 3 minutes per move would be different than the rating performance shown at Schachcomputer.Info which has every computer strength estimated based on average 30 seconds per move. How do the adjustments for time work in the Hiarcs program? Or would this be a trial by error test?

best regards
I can set it to 60/30 or average 30 seconds a move so let me know which I should use. 2271 I can also set it to. I have no idea how it will perform at this setting so the match will be a bit of fun. Best of 3 sounds good.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
spacious_mind wrote: OK that works for me. The time setting I used is average time of 30 seconds per move (60/30). At Schachcomputer.Info it is rated at ELO 2271 which I also think is quite accurate as I had played most of the games for that rating in a Revelation tournament with TM Portorose playing in it. The tournament result from this past weekend seems to confirm that this rating is accurate as well for Active Chess. However having said that I don't know how your set up works with your program. Because playing at a strength of 2271 at 3 minutes per move would be different than the rating performance shown at Schachcomputer.Info which has every computer strength estimated based on average 30 seconds per move. How do the adjustments for time work in the Hiarcs program? Or would this be a trial by error test?

best regards
I can set it to 60/30 or average 30 seconds a move so let me know which I should use. 2271 I can also set it to. I have no idea how it will perform at this setting so the match will be a bit of fun. Best of 3 sounds good.
Ok lets try one game at that setting and should for example Hiarcs be too strong then we can if you like play another match at 3 minutes with same setting and see how it compares? (ie. see how your throttling works)

Best regards
Nick
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

spacious_mind wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

best regards
Ok lets try one game at that setting and should for example Hiarcs be too strong then we can if you like play another match at 3 minutes with same setting and see how it compares? (ie. see how your throttling works)

Best regards
sounds good but 60/30 or average 30 secs per move? You can have white in game 1.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

best regards

Best regards
sounds good but 60/30 or average 30 secs per move? You can have white in game 1.
I just checked it is 60 in 30 minutes average time.
Nick
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

spacious_mind wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

best regards

Best regards
I just checked it is 60 in 30 minutes average time.
ok will do the same.