Interested in an Americas Chess Comp Tournament - Online?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
spacious_mind wrote: OK that works for me. The time setting I used is average time of 30 seconds per move (60/30). At Schachcomputer.Info it is rated at ELO 2271 which I also think is quite accurate as I had played most of the games for that rating in a Revelation tournament with TM Portorose playing in it. The tournament result from this past weekend seems to confirm that this rating is accurate as well for Active Chess. However having said that I don't know how your set up works with your program. Because playing at a strength of 2271 at 3 minutes per move would be different than the rating performance shown at Schachcomputer.Info which has every computer strength estimated based on average 30 seconds per move. How do the adjustments for time work in the Hiarcs program? Or would this be a trial by error test?

best regards
I can set it to 60/30 or average 30 seconds a move so let me know which I should use. 2271 I can also set it to. I have no idea how it will perform at this setting so the match will be a bit of fun. Best of 3 sounds good.
Ok lets try one game at that setting and should for example Hiarcs be too strong then we can if you like play another match at 3 minutes with same setting and see how it compares? (ie. see how your throttling works)

Best regards
sounds good but 60/30 or average 30 secs per move? You can have white in game 1.
I just checked it is 60 in 30 minutes average time.
ok will do the same.
OK then the match is on!! :)
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Harvey...
just so you know the face of your opponent

The Mephisto Tournament Machine is a highly sought after computer
very special in that it was built with two cooling fans to keep the motherboard from melting

here is what it looks likes:

can one of you please set up a separate thread in the Tournament Section
detailing the match conditions and dates?
the posts were flying back and forth so fast i think i missed the game times and dates

Lost In The Shuffle Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

I can see why that one is on the floor. They are huge. I struggled to get a picture of mine with my cluttered table of chess computers and stuff.

That's the view with its insides. Exclusive behind it that I currently use with Revelation inside it for my tests looks kind of small. With my bad lightning in this room that's the best angle I could do to catch the display without the flash catching it.

The discs that you can see on the table are from an Acorn Archimedes 3010 computer. I bought this computer (not shown) from the UK and it arrived today. It has a 68020 14 MHz processor and is a true 32 Bit machine. Therefore I am totally cluttered unpacking it all and trying it out. For this Acorn Archimedes just one chess program was made for it by someone called William Tunstall-Pedoe, but graphically I have this suspicion that Lang might have been involved. But I don't know I will have to play it sometime. Anyway how nuts eh to buy a computer from the UK just to play one program that I have never played before!

Still I am pleased because Acorn Archimedes 3010 computers are quite rare now. Even in the UK.

Best regards
Nick
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Nick,
spacious_mind wrote: Not that I am against a round robin, which we can do for the spring Mysticum/Gavon tournament as we might not get so many people entering,
ok, let's see who will join and how many we are...
spacious_mind wrote:but for the regular tournament, it wont work because if the Tournament drags on for too long then people start to have less interest and not enough time. for example the tournament we just played with 10 people would have taken 9 weeks to play. I am expecting in the spring to have even more people wanting to enter and therefore if it ends up being say 14 or 16 people then we would be doing a round robin for 15 weeks (4 months) which just takes too long to complete.

Not everybody is as hardcore tournament players as you or I might be.
:P
:P :P
spacious_mind wrote:
I think we should keep the May tournament as Steve suggested a 5 or 6 round tournament (depending on how many people join) and play Swiss at maybe a longer time setting like 1 minute or 2 minutes per move if that becomes a preference to change it up a bit.
That's all fine for me, if we find a way to overcome my time restrictions in May (see above). I would like to play; the playing mode isn't that important for me. And I would like to kiebitz....

Regards, Michael
steffen

Post by steffen »

Nick,

I am open concerning the way of plaing the May tournament.

But I tell you:
I´ve been playing many online tournaments.
For sure I will never forget the very first Oldies Tournament (which was afterwards renamed by someone else into World Championship) which I had initiated back in 2004/5. This was something great and new.
After that one many online tournaments followed in which I participated, too.

But our crazy last weekend with 5 games on 2 days over 3 continents was again something very special. I loved it a lot, it was a bit crazy but a lot of fun. Maybe the best online tournament I´ve ever played!
I would like to continue it next year
:D
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

steffen wrote:But our crazy last weekend with 5 games on 2 days over 3 continents was again something very special. I loved it a lot, it was a bit crazy but a lot of fun. Maybe the best online tournament I´ve ever played!
I totally agree :)
Keep my fingers crossed that I join it the next time!
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

steffen wrote:Nick,

I am open concerning the way of plaing the May tournament.

But I tell you:
I´ve been playing many online tournaments.
For sure I will never forget the very first Oldies Tournament (which was afterwards renamed by someone else into World Championship) which I had initiated back in 2004/5. This was something great and new.
After that one many online tournaments followed in which I participated, too.

But our crazy last weekend with 5 games on 2 days over 3 continents was again something very special. I loved it a lot, it was a bit crazy but a lot of fun. Maybe the best online tournament I´ve ever played!
Hi Steffen,
Thanks, and yes it was a lot of fun. In the May tournament with only 1 game per week, we might even have 4 continents playing if some of our Australian friends decide to also join in the fun! We would be missing only Asia and Africa to make it truly Global!! :)

Will you play in the Mysticum Tournament? I think we could start in in January sometime, when it is cold and wintry and people stay at home :)

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

spacious_mind wrote:
The discs that you can see on the table are from an Acorn Archimedes 6010 computer. I bought this computer (not shown) from the UK and it arrived today. It has a 68020 14 MHz processor and is a true 32 Bit machine. Therefore I am totally cluttered unpacking it all and trying it out. For this Acorn Archimedes just one chess program was made for it by someone called William Tunstall-Pedoe, but graphically I have this suspicion that Lang might have been involved. But I don't know I will have to play it sometime. Anyway how nuts eh to buy a computer from the UK just to play one program that I have never played before!

Still I am pleased because Acorn Archimedes 6010 computers are quite rare now. Even in the UK.

Best regards
Oooops getting old, making lots of mistakes.

This Acorn Archimedes is a Model 3010 not 6010 (double typo) and it is ARM 250 processor 12 MHz which means it has 7 MIPS at 12 MHz. Which should make the Cyber Chess program from William Turnstall-Pedoe quite interesting once I get around to playing it.

Best regards
Nick
steffen

Post by steffen »

Yes, Nick, please put me on the list of the Mysticum tournament :D
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Hi Nick,

Please add me to the list of players for the Mysticum/Gavon (Gavon2) tournament as well as the May tournament. I really look forward to playing, schedule permitting.

Dave :D
Walter Lang

Post by Walter Lang »

My Mysticum-stallion impatiently scratches the ground with his hooves since he has heard the news of a Mysticum tournament.... :twisted:

Walter
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Attached below are the PGN's for the Tournament. And, here are the official CO-Champions:

2015 1ST CHESS FRIENDS OF THE WORLD CO-CHAMPIONS

2015 1ST CHESS FRIENDS OF THE WORLD FINAL TABLE

2015 1ST CHESS FRIENDS OF THE WORLD GAMES DOWNLOAD

http://spacious-mind.com/forum_reports/ ... s_2015.pgn

Best regards
Nick