Short story, why I love to collect chess computers.

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
larryadler

Short story, why I love to collect chess computers.

Post by larryadler »

Hello,

It's time to introduce myself. I borrowed nickname from legendary harmonica player. In fact, my name is Michael (parents probably borrowed this name from legendary basketball player, what is puzzling having regard to their low growth, no matter...). I see that on the forum is another Larry, also very legendary in fact, so call me Michael :)

When I was a kid, I got from my parents first chess computer – Mephisto America II – a fantastic device for me those years. Years passed, I stopped playing chess at club-level, but after completing legal studies I stated that the focus at the board helps me to focus before a court. And then I remembered about my Mephisto. I don't know why I logged on allegro (Polish 'e-bay-like' selling platform), and bought Mephisto Europa A (version with a suitcase). So it began.

Why collect chess computers can be fascinating? In my opinion, there are several reasons. Firstly, these devices practically not produce – we have a closed pool devices over the last thirty years, and each of these chess computers has its own story, which is also the story of the company. We can "touch" this story and in a small way be a part of it. Secondly, we can experience firsthand the development of artificial intelligence, I know this is a great sentence, perhaps too great, but there is something fascinating about watching and study progression that has been made. These growing ELO points with every new model of chess computer, this already historic battle for the title of most powerful computer. The grand finale, which was a duel Kasparov – Deep Blue. The finale, after which it all began to end. Finally, already less lofty, we can at any place and any time play an interesting game, on a real chessboard, with real pieces, in solitude check our own abilities. And all this we can do on old electronic devices, which despite the age still working for us, with whom often we deal with over the years, which they we attach. In this way, chess computers benefit our memory, and own soul.

And everything above it is because of one simple thing, that connects us all, regardless of age, race or nationality. This thing is chess.

So, what kind of collector are you? I think that the way in which we collects chess computers may be threefold:

- depending on the power of chess computer,
- depending on the age of chess computer,
- depending on the rarity of chess computer.

I think it looks that way.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Short story, why I love to collect chess computers.

Post by Fernando »

larryadler wrote:Hello,

It's time to introduce myself. I borrowed nickname from legendary harmonica player. In fact, my name is Michael (parents probably borrowed this name from legendary basketball player, what is puzzling having regard to their low growth, no matter...). I see that on the forum is another Larry, also very legendary in fact, so call me Michael :)

When I was a kid, I got from my parents first chess computer – Mephisto America II – a fantastic device for me those years. Years passed, I stopped playing chess at club-level, but after completing legal studies I stated that the focus at the board helps me to focus before a court. And then I remembered about my Mephisto. I don't know why I logged on allegro (Polish 'e-bay-like' selling platform), and bought Mephisto Europa A (version with a suitcase). So it began.

Why collect chess computers can be fascinating? In my opinion, there are several reasons. Firstly, these devices practically not produce – we have a closed pool devices over the last thirty years, and each of these chess computers has its own story, which is also the story of the company. We can "touch" this story and in a small way be a part of it. Secondly, we can experience firsthand the development of artificial intelligence, I know this is a great sentence, perhaps too great, but there is something fascinating about watching and study progression that has been made. These growing ELO points with every new model of chess computer, this already historic battle for the title of most powerful computer. The grand finale, which was a duel Kasparov – Deep Blue. The finale, after which it all began to end. Finally, already less lofty, we can at any place and any time play an interesting game, on a real chessboard, with real pieces, in solitude check our own abilities. And all this we can do on old electronic devices, which despite the age still working for us, with whom often we deal with over the years, which they we attach. In this way, chess computers benefit our memory, and own soul.

And everything above it is because of one simple thing, that connects us all, regardless of age, race or nationality. This thing is chess.

So, what kind of collector are you? I think that the way in which we collects chess computers may be threefold:

ONE important reason why we love these comps is because they are winnable. They are for the most part 1500-2000 ELO contrivances at the reach of a club player and still difficult for an expert.
There are, of course, lot of other reaso9ns, some of them those you mentioned.
If you see over there my old beautiful friend Lucyna Falkiewicz-wille, give her my salutes....
She lives in Varsow, I think...

Fern
Festina Lente
Larry

Post by Larry »

Hi Michael, good to have you here on the forum. I'm guessing you are
still a fairly young adult. We can relate to what you are saying about
the gradual elo race between different manufacturers of the era. And
an "era" it was. Most of us tend to be middle aged guys with personal
memories of the new models of the 1980's competing with each other.
We tend to be old enough to remember the days before chess computers,
maybe that's why we have a special fascination with the "magic" of
them. And of course we relate to the concept of physically
playing chess with real pieces, not pixels on a screen.
For some people dedicated chess computers went the way of the horse
and buggy, but not for us!
In my country a lot of the models were unheard of by us because we
were at the mercy of the importers. We were only even aware of the
models the importers chose to buy.
For me the collection is mostly complete, partly because my currency
has fallen away versus US$/Euro/UKpound, and partly because some
models on my wish list are so rare I have all but given up waiting.
Also, the international shipping rates have steadily risen.
all the best to you...
Larry
Monsieur Plastique

Re: Short story, why I love to collect chess computers.

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

larryadler wrote:So, what kind of collector are you? I think that the way in which we collects chess computers may be threefold:

I am not any of these :wink: My machines are purchased and graded based upon the quality and content of plastics used in their construction. So I have:

Highest grade - impeccable plastics that are cutting-edge, highly engineered and textured to ensure wear and abrasion resistance whilst maintaining considerable aesthetic appeal.

Medium grade - somewhat ubiquitous - neither particularly worthy of comment but above entry level standards.

Lowest grade - the plastics merely serve to create a functional structure to house the innards of the machine. No attempt is made to "quality" engineer the plastics involved so long as they carry out their intended structural function.

Apart from that, each and every machine MUST be able to be set to a level so that I can obtain an enjoyable game from it (so for me, they really need to be able to play at around a 1600 ELO minimum and preferably around 1700 ELO). It does not matter if that is 4 minutes a move or 10 seconds a move so long as it can be adjustable to that level. This does, however, actually precludes a significant number of machines. For example, stronger machines without an "easy" (no pondering) mode are out, extremely strong machines are out, but also a very large number of "average" machines are out too (because they are too weak).

The bottom line is that I can't have millions of machines lying around as there is nowhere to put them so in the end my collection meets all of the above criteria and fits nicely into a double sided large wooden, commercial quality cabinet. All the machines are there to play against so nothing sits there for terribly long without being used. Also, given the space limitations the emphasis is on portable machines. My most coveted machine is a brand new in the box Mephisto Marco Polo that I purchased some years ago for (likely) a record price.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.