Mephisto wooden chess pieces

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
chesspcmac

Mephisto wooden chess pieces

Post by chesspcmac »

Everybody knows that the wooden pieces for the Mephisto Munchen and Exclusive boards are different. Exclusive's pieces are smaller of course. I have two munchen boards and I've just noticed that one of the munchen board's pieces are a bit taller than the other one. What's with that? Maybe I have a set of the Bavaria pieces? Both sets have magnets, do the Bavarian pieces have magnets? Back in those days you had the choice of bigger or smaller pieces for the munchen?

Size always matters regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
blaubaer

Re: Mephisto wooden chess pieces

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Mike,
chesspcmac wrote:Everybody knows that the wooden pieces for the Mephisto Munchen and Exclusive boards are different. Exclusive's pieces are smaller of course. I have two munchen boards and I've just noticed that one of the munchen board's pieces are a bit taller than the other one. What's with that?
I don't know, where you bought the München boards; could be, that one set of pieces is original and the other set is possibly bought later at Niggemann in Germany? See here! - switch to English (union jack), online-shop, Computer and DGT boards, Mephisto spare parts, chessmen for Mephisto Munich, more information, reviews

The new sets from Niggemann are different from the originals!
chesspcmac wrote:
Maybe I have a set of the Bavaria pieces? Both sets have magnets, do the Bavarian pieces have magnets?
Definitely not! The Bavaria chessmen have built in coils and capacitors, an oscillator circuit, and no magnets - with magnets, the chessmen identification would not work.
chesspcmac wrote: Back in those days you had the choice of bigger or smaller pieces for the munchen?
I don't think so! Look here! (in German)

Bavarian Regards,
Michael

By the way: Do you know what the (bavarian) words on the heart of my avatar mean? :wink:
lexman

Post by lexman »

The phrase “Mia san mia” is FC Bayern Munich's motto. It is the Bavarian variation of “wir sind wir”, which roughly translates to “We are who we are.
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

:lol:
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

I'm a fan of Bayern, Claudio Pizarro was a good player at Bayern, now because he is old he is gone.
Thanks for the answer.
So for Bavaria there's one set of pieces with coils BUT NO MAGNETS.
For Munchen there are two versions of chess pieces with magnets , one bigger than the other. Both of my sets were used when I bought them. The difference is very noticeable specially with the rooks.

Mia san mia regards
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle