RU Interested in a Higher ELO Tournament-Mysticum/Gavon etc?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

RU Interested in a Higher ELO Tournament-Mysticum/Gavon etc?

Post by spacious_mind »

I am interested in doing a tournament that allows higher ELO programs to participate.

I am thinking along the lines that Mysticum's, Gavons, IPads, Palm, PPP'c, Revelation I & II and DOS programs as well as if Steve wants to as well enter his Mephisto 866 MHz Wundermachine

Only exclusions would be proper PC's and laptops. For DOS Max speed allowed would Pentium III 866 MHz = Wundermachine speed. A thought would be to even restrict speeds of Mysticum's to be aligned in speed as well, i.e. make them closer to the chart below:

Steve's Wundermachine has about 2,964 MIPS. So let's suppose Steve would like to test his Wundermachine in this tournament. Since he is restricted with just one oldie classic program = Chess Genius 5. I think it should play as is. But we could adjust our Mysticums to suit the other hardware shown in the table above. i.e.

My Mysticum is a Wyse Via Nehemiah 1GHz which has 1746 MIPS. So therefore I could have two options:

1) I boot it with CPUID at 60% (600) = 1047 MIPS
2) I play it at it's full speed = 1000 MHz = 1746 MIPS

My preference however is that assuming all Mysticum owners can adjust their speed through CPUID or equivalent, we calibrate to reach either option 1 or option 2 shown above. I would prefer that we shoot for option 1 as this would allow Revelation 2 to have a chance as well with all its programs and 1025 MIPS. But on the flip side Gavon 2 and Gavon 3 would be too high. Therefore the cut off would be around Revelation 2.

Alternatively we play with cut off at option 2 and Gavon 2 gets to play as well.

Well anyway those are some thoughts to ponder. ie. I think Steffens Mysticum is a 500 MHz unit therefore even for Steffen option 1 would be more competitive than option 2.

I am writing this because we all know that there are several different Mysticum speed versions and I think we do have to put some restrictions in place in order to give everyone an as equal chance as possible to have fun and be successful.

Having said that, if we can overcome the challenges, then I think for sure we will have a great and very competitive competition.

Please share your thoughts and also lets see who wants to enter this unique competition.

Best regards

ps. So far we have:

Nick
Steffen
Michael

... who have confirmed participation.
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote: if Steve wants to as well enter his Mephisto 866 MHz Wundermachine
Hey Nick

see the thing is...

i will still not be able to play until May for the reasons i already mentioned
so to delay this unique ..one-of-a-kind tournament until then would not be fair to those that would like to get it underway ASAP

i will be happy playing in the longer 1 Min/Avg tourney come this Spring

Very Best Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote: if Steve wants to as well enter his Mephisto 866 MHz Wundermachine
Hey Nick

see the thing is...

i will still not be able to play until May for the reasons i already mentioned
so to delay this unique ..one-of-a-kind tournament until then would not be fair to those that would like to get it underway ASAP

i will be happy playing in the longer 1 Min/Avg tourney come this Spring

Very Best Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

I know, but it wont be the last tournament for sure. So regardless the different hardware should be equalized a little to make it possible and competitive :)

Best regards
Nick
Dave C

Re: RU Interested in a Higher ELO Tournament-Mysticum/Gavon

Post by Dave C »

spacious_mind wrote:Alternatively we play with cut off at option 2 and Gavon 2 gets to play as well.
Having said that, if we can overcome the challenges, then I think for sure we will have a great and very competitive competition.

ps. So far we have:

Nick
Steffen
Michael
Nick - I have a Gavon 2 and would like to participate in the competition. I agree that to make it most fun (my preference) it needs to be somewhat equal. On the other hand I could see an "all out", no holds barred competition too.

Sign me up!
Dave
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Nick,

which are the 3 types of Gavon? I have one with touchscreen and the other with LCD and push buttons - which is the third one?

Of course it's ok to adjust the Mysticum! How do you calculate/measure the MIPS value?

Possibly I participate with Gavon and Mysticum 8) - it depends on how many we are....

Regards,
Michael
spacious_mind

Re: RU Interested in a Higher ELO Tournament-Mysticum/Gavon

Post by spacious_mind »

Dave C wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:Alternatively we play with cut off at option 2 and Gavon 2 gets to play as well.

ps. So far we have:

Nick
Steffen
Michael
Nick - I have a Gavon 2 and would like to participate in the competition. I agree that to make it most fun (my preference) it needs to be somewhat equal. On the other hand I could see an "all out", no holds barred competition too.

Sign me up!
Dave
OK great! Now we have 4!
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

blaubaer wrote:Hi Nick,

which are the 3 types of Gavon? I have one with touchscreen and the other with LCD and push buttons - which is the third one?

Of course it's ok to adjust the Mysticum! How do you calculate/measure the MIPS value?

Possibly I participate with Gavon and Mysticum 8) - it depends on how many we are....

Regards,
Michael
HI Michael,

I will probably do the same, with same reasons.

Gavon 3 I wrote about here:

http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7490

For my Mysticum, we did that a few years ago if you remember in discussions at your Website. I think we also compared yours to mine at that time when we were testing getting the speeds down the equivalent of dedicated computers.

I also use the following two lists a lot as references as the computers had all used the same DMIPS tests. One is for ARMs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_second

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... hitectures

For computers not listed it is a little harder to find. Fortunately most of the common ones are listed.

It is not perfect, but it helps a lot as a guide to compare different hardware.

Regards
Nick
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Hi Michael,

Another thought is maybe we look towards a common test that could be done on the computers ourselves. That way we might be able to create a standard that we can use all the time?

Something that runs across platforms. ie we could then give it Josu as well and run it for Gavons as well so that we know for ever exactly what is what?

Anyone have any ideas on a simple but effective test program that we could all use?

Best regards
Nick
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Nick,
spacious_mind wrote: Gavon 3 I wrote about here:
http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7490
ouch, I remember... :roll:

Getting Older Regards,
Michael
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Nick,
spacious_mind wrote:Another thought is maybe we look towards a common test that could be done on the computers ourselves. That way we might be able to create a standard that we can use all the time?

Something that runs across platforms. ie we could then give it Josu as well and run it for Gavons as well so that we know for ever exactly what is what?

Anyone have any ideas on a simple but effective test program that we could all use?
the BT/BS Tests (BT-2450, BT-2630, BS-2830 and more) are the most popular ones, but not simple and they take long time! :roll:

Standardized Regards,
Michael
dedicate computers

Res II or Ipaqs

Post by dedicate computers »

Hi Nick,

I'm interested, nevertheless I have some high-rating programs that run on the phone, however I wonder if I participate with Res II or programs that run on Ipaq would be interesting?
Regards
Oswaldo Monteiro
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hi Nick,

as my Mysticum on a i7 basis, housed comfortably in an ESB-board has finally come to life I certainly would like to participate.

I am testing variuos scenarios every day, I like the feature that one can run the BT-tests automatically. My first test (also meant as a stresstest for the hardware) was to compare the results of Komodo 9.2 to the emu of Mephisto
MM5.1. Both using one core at 4.3 ghz.

As I had to disassemble the machine for cosmetical changes to the board
I don't have the exact numbers but it was in the range that MM5 reaches about 2250 Elo whereas Komodo comes out over 2500.

If I am not mistaken this means that Komodo is 250 points stronger by software... now if I could get it to use all 4 cores...

Greetings,

Gerhard
spacious_mind

Re: Res II or Ipaqs

Post by spacious_mind »

dedicate computers wrote:Hi Nick,

I'm interested, nevertheless I have some high-rating programs that run on the phone, however I wonder if I participate with Res II or programs that run on Ipaq would be interesting?
Regards
Oswaldo Monteiro
Hi Oswaldo,

I am thinking that the IPAQ is a Pocket PC. 624 MHz or less correct? That would be ok. But can you confirm its specification. Res II is also ok.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

kgvetter wrote:Hi Nick,

as my Mysticum on a i7 basis, housed comfortably in an ESB-board has finally come to life I certainly would like to participate.

I am testing variuos scenarios every day, I like the feature that one can run the BT-tests automatically. My first test (also meant as a stresstest for the hardware) was to compare the results of Komodo 9.2 to the emu of Mephisto
MM5.1. Both using one core at 4.3 ghz.

As I had to disassemble the machine for cosmetical changes to the board
I don't have the exact numbers but it was in the range that MM5 reaches about 2250 Elo whereas Komodo comes out over 2500.

If I am not mistaken this means that Komodo is 250 points stronger by software... now if I could get it to use all 4 cores...

Greetings,

Gerhard
Hi Gerhard,

i7 is a pretty powerful processor especially at 4.3 GHz :) I am surprised about Komodo being only 2500 ? Is your computer slowed down? As I would imagine Komodo being easily being around 3000++ ELO?

Best regards
Last edited by spacious_mind on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

blaubaer wrote:Hi Nick,
spacious_mind wrote:Another thought is maybe we look towards a common test that could be done on the computers ourselves. That way we might be able to create a standard that we can use all the time?

the BT/BS Tests (BT-2450, BT-2630, BS-2830 and more) are the most popular ones, but not simple and they take long time! :roll:

Standardized Regards,
Michael
Yes BT's take too long an besides not very useful unless we play oldie programs. Because the Stockfish's have surpassed the usefulness of BS-2830.

Which raises a question what chess programs do we allow or are all open to play?
Nick