World’s First Digital Chess Clock?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Cyberchess

World’s First Digital Chess Clock?

Post by Cyberchess »

To the best of my knowledge, this was the very first commercially available digital chess clock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaisha-1000-Vin ... Sw8-tWawR5

While lite on features, the Kaisha 1000 was my preferred clock for blitz and action chess because it was so small and easy to tote around. Mine was purchased NOS, and even came with the impossible to find mechanical switch-pack. This clock always worked flawlessly, though I now regret auctioning it off when the 5 second delay time was implemented by the U.S.C.F. I replaced it with the no longer made, full-featured cherry wood/brass Duel Timer.

Vintage Ticker Regards,
John
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I remember getting myself a Chronos clock in the early 1990's, maybe circa 1994? I knew that Novag had a detachable clock system before that. Do you know what year the Kaisha-1000 was released?
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Cubeman wrote:I remember getting myself a Chronos clock in the early 1990's, maybe circa 1994? I knew that Novag had a detachable clock system before that. Do you know what year the Kaisha-1000 was released?
Greetings!

My first exposure to the Kaisha 1000 was while observing a blitz game played at the Bar Point Chess and Backgammon Club in the early ‘80s. Up to that point, mechanical chess clocks were required to participate in USCF rated tournaments, and I had previously invested in both analog tournament and blitz chess clocks, and had little interest in a newfangled device not yet recognized by the USCF and their certified TDs.

A patent search revealed a filing date of 8/82 which was granted on 9/84.

http://www.patents.com/us-4472067.html

As is often the case, I believe that the clock was produced while the patent was still pending.

Since I participated in many rated events in those days, the exact year of production remains...

Unclear To Me Regards,
John