Chafitz Boris - DIY Kit

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
blaubaer

Chafitz Boris - DIY Kit

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

who has detailed information on the Chafitz Boris Do-It-Yourself Kit?

A couple of years ago I found this exploded drawing (bottom right "Boris Bausatz") - is there more information out there?

Like DIY Regards,
Michael
Mike Watters

Re: Chafitz Boris - DIY Kit

Post by Mike Watters »

blaubaer wrote:Hi,

who has detailed information on the Chafitz Boris Do-It-Yourself Kit?

A couple of years ago I found this exploded drawing (bottom right "Boris Bausatz") - is there more information out there?

Like DIY Regards,
Michael
Hello Michael

I have a self-assembly kit Boris and the assembly manual.
The manual is very detailed and well worth a look. There is a copy on Alain Zanchetta's website. The exploded diagram you mention comes from the manual.

Comparing my Kit Boris (US version) with a standard German Boris there is surprisingly little difference, but I am sure that there must be some of them built without the standard box which are weird and wonderful.

By the way Maurice Ohayon's website is good for photos and info on Boris variations.

All the best
Mike
blaubaer

Re: Chafitz Boris - DIY Kit

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Mike,
Mike Watters wrote: I have a self-assembly kit Boris and the assembly manual.
is the kit still knocked down?
Mike Watters wrote: The manual is very detailed and well worth a look. There is a copy on Alain Zanchetta's website.
I must have overlooked it, thanks! I made an update of my web site! :wink:
Mike Watters wrote: Comparing my Kit Boris (US version) with a standard German Boris there is surprisingly little difference, but I am sure that there must be some of them built without the standard box which are weird and wonderful.
Which difference is it, the housing?
Mike Watters wrote: By the way Maurice Ohayon's website is good for photos and info on Boris variations.
Thanks, Maurice Ohayon's website gives a lot more information!

A Lot more Informed Regards,
Michael
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Mike,

do you have the enclosure's blueprints (see above the advertisement!)?

What does this sentence mean: "Thousands sold the world over for $300.00."? (see above the advertisement) Do you have an idea?

I really like this idea of selling a diy chess computer...

More Information Regards,
Michael
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Hi Michael

I bought the kit Boris fully assembled and working. An example in its original state, in pieces, would be some find wouldn't it !

The kit Boris has a taller (6mm) slightly shorter box, the 'Boris Plays Black' program, no serial number sticker and the King logo with Boris Is King, patent pending. The German Boris has the 'Boris Awaits Your Move' program, the usual Boris serial number sticker and the King logo with patent pending.

No I don't have the enclosure blueprints.

The advertisement is saying that thousands of Boris's had by then been sold at $300 (actually $299.95 :) ). Making the point that now you can get this great selling chess computer for only $175 if you assemble it yourself (without the box).

I haven't seen many kit examples or specials so presumably the Boris Assembly Kit didn't sell all that well. It was a time when a lot of hobbyists were building their own home computers so perhaps there are more around?

All the best
Mike
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Mike,
Mike Watters wrote: I bought the kit Boris fully assembled and working. An example in its original state, in pieces, would be some find wouldn't it !
Of course yes, but rather improbable... - Nobody would remain with the kit without trying to awake Boris....
Mike Watters wrote:It was a time when a lot of hobbyists were building their own home computers
...like me - everything else was too expensive at that time, until the C64 came up..
Mike Watters wrote: so perhaps there are more around?
I would hope but I don't think so...

I'll open my three ones and check whether they heve been assembled by hobbyists...

I will keep you informed!

Thanks so far!

Cold War Regards,
Michael
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Mike,

two Boris are wave soldered, means industry made, and one is (Bingo!) manually soldered, means made from a Boris Kit!

Regards,
Michael
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Hi Michael

Congratulations on finding a Kit Boris!
Surprising number of Boris variations.

Regards
Mike