CC1

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

CC1

Post by Larry »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281927530387 ... EBIDX%3AIT
Nice looking unit. Shame about the non original pieces.
I dropped a few early bids on it, but I did'nt reach the reserve price.
Quite high serial number for a CC1.
L
PS Or are those pieces original after all? Just squinting at the box, they
actually seem to match. This would add considerably to it's value if that
is the case.
L
Dick Schneiders

I have a CC1 with the plastic pieces

Post by Dick Schneiders »

Larry,

I don't regularly chaeck the chess forums anymore due to my stroke ten years ago, but saw the CC1 auction on eBay and knew someone would comment here on it. I have 2 CC1's, one with the same plastic pieces. Ismenio Sousa's forum, www.chesscomputers.org, has pictures of my set and asks for anyone who knows of the plastic pieces to contact him. I recently got an email from Ismenio, and he never heard from anyone. They do match what is shown on the box, and we assume that a few sets were issued that way. It is interesting that this set on eBay has a very high serial number. Mine is 1171! Also, my manual has blue border highlights and blue title. No other that I know about is like that. If you go to Ismenio's site and click on the link for his collection, and then on the Fidelity CC1 link, there is a detailed area showing the differences between my two CC1 manuals and pieces.

I am happy that someone else seems to verify that the CC1's were issued with plastic pieces, though now mine is not as unique. Oh well, at least I still have the only "blue" manual!

Dick Schneiders
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Personally I wouldn't doubt for a moment that Dick's CC1 has the original plastic pieces shown on the first Chess Challenger boxes. The photos on Ismenio's site show this. However the chesspieces in the Ebay auction don't look the same. They look more CC7 type, though white, and are not original. Dick's CC1 seems to have pieces which are either similar or identical to Tryom ones.

All the best
Mike
paulwise3

Re: CC1

Post by paulwise3 »

Larry wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281927530387 ... EBIDX%3AIT
Nice looking unit. Shame about the non original pieces.
I dropped a few early bids on it, but I did'nt reach the reserve price.
Quite high serial number for a CC1.
L
PS Or are those pieces original after all? Just squinting at the box, they
actually seem to match. This would add considerably to it's value if that
is the case.
L
Yesterday evening I played a few games between the Tandy 1850 and the Saitek Team Mate, to see wether they are clones or not. In my opinion they seem very closely related (also many immediate answers indicate that), but not clones. But coming to the point: the pieces on this picture are exactly the same as those of Tandy 1850 and Team Mate, so I think they are not original...

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Dick Schneiders

Good!

Post by Dick Schneiders »

I didn't look at the plastic pieces that came with my #1171 before I posted my reply to Larry a couple of days ago. After these posts from Mike and Paul, I got them out of the closet, and they are not the same as this current eBay auction. So I still have no verification that mine are the original CC1 pieces, other than Mike's considerable knowledge and opinion. The fact that the manual highlights are in blue, seems to show that I do have an unusual CC1 set. I still wish that someone would unequivocally prove it to me one way or the other.

It would aid me in how to describe the set when I finally feel compelled to sell my collection to avoid my wife needing to figure out what to do with this stuff in the future.

Hopefully not for a few years,

Immortally Dick Schneiders
Larry

Re: Good!

Post by Larry »

Dick Schneiders wrote:I didn't look at the plastic pieces that came with my #1171 before I posted my reply to Larry a couple of days ago. After these posts from Mike and Paul, I got them out of the closet, and they are not the same as this current eBay auction. So I still have no verification that mine are the original CC1 pieces, other than Mike's considerable knowledge and opinion. The fact that the manual highlights are in blue, seems to show that I do have an unusual CC1 set. I still wish that someone would unequivocally prove it to me one way or the other.

It would aid me in how to describe the set when I finally feel compelled to sell my collection to avoid my wife needing to figure out what to do with this stuff in the future.

Hopefully not for a few years,

Immortally Dick Schneiders
Hi Dick, I'm wondering if Ron Nelson himself, who has been dropping by here
lately, might cast his memory back to those days. This could be that the
pieces you have not only look like the ones on the box, but in fact are
the actual pieces that were used for the picture on the box. As for
your unique owners's manual, that could have been a prototype that
simply didn't go to mass production for some reason. This means you
have something quite special. When it does come time to sell your CC1,
be sure to include in your blurb the fact that the pieces match those on
the box. Hopefully it will spark a bidding war.
all the best to you...Larry