Novag Chess Printer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
trontreez

Novag Chess Printer

Post by trontreez »

I've recently acquired a non-working Novag Chess Printer. It powers on and seems to respond to the commands from the board but just seems to print a random series of bizarre dots. It's been tested on two separate Novag chess computers. Any ideas on what may be the cause and how to fix it?

Also when I try to open it up I'm not sure how to safely proceed after removing the three screws from the bottom of the printer. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

You can see a print-out here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137954842 ... 3133137741

Many thanks,

tt
xchessg

Re: Novag Chess Printer

Post by xchessg »

trontreez wrote:I've recently acquired a non-working Novag Chess Printer. It powers on and seems to respond to the commands from the board but just seems to print a random series of bizarre dots. It's been tested on two separate Novag chess computers. Any ideas on what may be the cause and how to fix it?

Also when I try to open it up I'm not sure how to safely proceed after removing the three screws from the bottom of the printer. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

You can see a print-out here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137954842 ... 3133137741

Many thanks,

tt
The screws only keep the PCB in place. I'm pretty sure you have to open it the same way as the board itself: Remove the sides (the trickiest part to do without damage, with a screwdriver you need to unclip it carefully)) and then you can slide the front and back of.

Xavier
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

Hi Xavier,

Yes you're quite right. The side pieces can be gently prized off using a small flat head screwdriver.

I did however take a very small chip and left a few minor scratches and scuff marks during the process. It is only barely noticeable however.

The metallic silver plate with the Novag chess printer logo can the be easily slid off left to right (or right to left) and one more screw hiding under the left plastic side piece needs to be removed and the unit can be easily separated to expose the PCB.

Thanks for the help regards,

tt
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

Hi,

Pics of the PCB if anyone is interested. Looks OK apart from the glue all over the board. One capacitor may be slightly bulging at the base (negative terminal) so I'll replace that. Other than that maybe a mechanical error with the printing head. If anyone has any tips or suggestions feel free to let me know.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137954842 ... 4060940029

Thanks,

tt
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hi,

I had the same weird printout. After wiggling the plug (the one in your last picture) a little it started working properly...

Gerhard
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

Hi Gerhard,

I just tested the cable-to-printer resistance today. I had a little trouble getting resistance from the cable board to the P1 point on the printer. After a little jiggling the connection seemed to work fine. So maybe you're right.

Unfortunately I can't confirm for sure since when I de-soldered the capacitor I snipped the ends off to get it out more easily. Now it's a little short in length to make the connection.

Thanks for the tip regards,

tt
dedicate computers

Novag Chess Printer

Post by dedicate computers »

I just tested the cable-to-printer resistance today. I had a little trouble getting resistance from the cable board to the P1 point on the printer. After a little jiggling the connection seemed to work fine. So maybe you're right.
Hello
trontreez

Did you have success with Novag Chess Printer?
Regards
Oswaldo

I'm sending private message for you!
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

Yes thanks. It was just the printer cable as Gerhard mentions. Mine seems not to like being pushed all the way in to the chess computer. Just halfway or so.
Thermal printer regards,
tt
Eric Wainwright

Post by Eric Wainwright »

I had the same problem with my printer. I think over time, the contacts on the cable can become oxidized. I took some light sandpaper and rubbed the contacts with it. I then sprayed on a small amount of WD-40. I think it has helped with the problem.