New PDA processors.

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Cubeman

New PDA processors.

Post by Cubeman »

I have just learnt of a new range of PDA processors which have been developed by Marvell corporation,they bought the rights from Intel to develop the Xscale series of PDA processors.The high end PXA 320 looks like a big improvement in performance with speeds up to 800mhz and improved memory handling.This could see a drastic improvement in speed index for various chess engines.
HP have already released a new PPC which incorporates the PXA 310 624mhz processor, but this is still based mainly on the old PXA 270 which ran at 624mhz, but Marvell claim that there are improvments in the memory handling which could be better for chess programs.
Also the prices for these new PPC's are quite reasonable considering what you had to pay a few years ago for a similar speced PPC which ran only PPC 2003 2nd edition.
I think I will hang out till the PXA 320 is in a PPC and will test the speeds compared to my current PPC's which have a max of 624mhz and run on PPC 2003, or Windows Mobile 5.