Komodo 9.2 installation not working after update to HCE 1.9

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Yarc wrote:I have it working now and it was my mistake.

When Komodo9.x is installed it's put into a folder called Komodo-9.x-xxxxxxxx where the x's are replaced by a program generated code. Before adding the Komodo9.42 engine to HCE, I renamed this folder to Komodo9.42 to make it easier to identify the later komodo version. This was the mistake because Komodo refused to work. I renamed the folder back to the original name and komodo then worked fine. Therefore, it must check to see if its running under this specific folder, named 'komodo9.4-xxxxxxxx'.

This is unlike other chess engines I know and could easily catch people out!

Even stranger, just tried running the komodo9.42 engine under my renamed folder in the Aquarium chess interface and it works!? So not really sure what is going on, only that I can make it work in HCE.
But now its stopped working in HCE again!! I don't understand what is going on. Must be an issue with komodo and HCE. If I close HCE and run Aquarium, komodo runs fine. I don't have both Aquarium and HCE running at the same time, so there is no conflict going on.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Apologies for the multiple posts but I believe I've finally got to the heart of the problem.

There seems to be an issue with komodo accessing the book openings file 'komodo.bin' that I copied into the same folder as the komodo engine. All the time a single instance of the komodo engine uses the komodo.bin file then no problems. When I set up a second komodo in HCE (say with settings to use 2 cpu cores) this will fail to run because I think the komodo.bin file has been locked by the other komodo engine, even if it's not running. I checked this by using Task Manager. I believe this is a bug in Komodo not closing the komodo.bin file when it's finished with it.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Yarc wrote:Apologies for the multiple posts but I believe I've finally got to the heart of the problem.

There seems to be an issue with komodo accessing the book openings file 'komodo.bin' that I copied into the same folder as the komodo engine. All the time a single instance of the komodo engine uses the komodo.bin file then no problems. When I set up a second komodo in HCE (say with settings to use 2 cpu cores) this will fail to run because I think the komodo.bin file has been locked by the other komodo engine, even if it's not running. I checked this by using Task Manager. I believe this is a bug in Komodo not closing the komodo.bin file when it's finished with it.

The komodo.bin file is the opening book which Komodo uses by default. It is important for Komodo to have fast access to this file if you are using an opening book with it. Opening and closing and opening and closing a file will take a lot more time.

If you are not using an opening book in your testing, you could just delete the file, or rename it to something else. You also could just change the opening book file name each Komodo version uses to something else (even a blank file name). Also you could probably turn off the UCI Option in Komodo called "OwnBook" and Komodo will then not even look for the default book name.

Mark