Awesome Chess Crush!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Cyberchess

Awesome Chess Crush!

Post by Cyberchess »

The vintage British spy thriller, “Deadlier Than the Male,” from 1967 features a life-size, computer controlled, voice activated chess set, and my all-time favorite cinematic chess scene. The chess scene in particular begins @ 1’17”, the scene shifts and returns to the game throughout the remainder of the deadly bout. This is one of the prime influences that spurred my interest in taking up the royal game as a child, and well worth watching in its entirety if you enjoy James Bond style spy thrillers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViY7CR2TSO8

:idea: Watch in 720p and Full-Screen Regards, :idea:
John
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

that movie is not visible in Germany (because of copyright issues) - I have to prepare my PC and browse undercover.... 8)

Regards, Michael
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

blaubaer wrote:Hi,

that movie is not visible in Germany (because of copyright issues) - I have to prepare my PC and browse undercover.... 8)

Regards, Michael
Greetings Michael in Germany!

Hopefully by this time you’ve been able to tweak your network settings and view this vintage Mod Era gem.
If not, consider applying for a U.S. Visa. It’s worth the trip for the chess bout alone.

For any of our other overseas friends wishing to view this film:

:cool: Here’s a list of Free US Proxies Regards,
John
IanO

Post by IanO »

That was fun! Atrocious chess, but nice piece play! Computers nowadays would keep you from making four simultaneous illegal moves to corner your super-villain.

Makes me wonder, what was the best use of chess in a movie? An example that was recently brought up on TalkChess was the HAL game in 2001: A Space Odyssey, an actual ending of a tournament game.
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

IanO wrote:That was fun! Atrocious chess, but nice piece play! Computers nowadays would keep you from making four simultaneous illegal moves to corner your super-villain.

Makes me wonder, what was the best use of chess in a movie? An example that was recently brought up on TalkChess was the HAL game in 2001: A Space Odyssey, an actual ending of a tournament game.
Glad you enjoyed the show, Ian!

Yes, I’ll admit that the actual chess game was a bit of a tease. They start out playing an orthodox Four Knights Game, but then the scene shifts and returns in the middle-game.

The chess aspect in “2001: A Space Odyssey” was also a favorite of mine (see my avatar), though I hadn’t paid much attention to the actual moves played. I’ll pay close attention the next time I view this Sci-Fi classic.

Other great chess scenes that come to mind are the 3-D chess themed episode in the original Star Trek, the computer chess cheating employed in Mission Impossible, and the famous bout in “The Seventh Seal”.
There are undoubtedly countless others, though most unfortunately are game mockups.

Cinematic Chess Regards,
John
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

John,

I've never seen that film before. I must admit, I've never seen murder by a chess piece.

I'd recommend that the villain's spend some time practicing at the gun range! LOL.

Greg
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi John,
Cyberchess wrote: Hopefully by this time you’ve been able to tweak your network settings and view this vintage Mod Era gem.
I made it - no need for a Visa.... :wink:
The magic is to find the right server; otherwise transmission qualtity is bad and movies stop consistently...
Nice showdown - a little bit oversized....
Thanks and Regards, Michael
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

fourthirty wrote:John,

I've never seen that film before. I must admit, I've never seen murder by a chess piece.

I'd recommend that the villain's spend some time practicing at the gun range! LOL.

Greg
Greetings Greg:

Prior to finding this dusty jewel on YouTube, I had last watched this in syndication on network television (circa early '70s). Death by time-bomb, spear-gun and fenestration have all been effected prior and since, though death by "chess crush" stuck in my mind as rather unique and inspiring.

If caught and brought to trial, one could at least try to chalk it up to a....

:oops: Careless Blunder Regards,
John
Cyberchess

Re: Chess Scenes in Movies.

Post by Cyberchess »

7Chessfan7 wrote:The chess scene in the Hume Cronyn-Vincent Gardinia HBO movie ''Age Old Friends'' is a nice chess scene in a great movie.
This sounds interesting. Getting up there in years myself, I’ve often wondered if chess can help to offset the mental deterioration often associated with ageing.

:idea: Staying Sharp in the Endgame Regards,
John
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

blaubaer wrote:Hi John,
Cyberchess wrote: Hopefully by this time you’ve been able to tweak your network settings and view this vintage Mod Era gem.
I made it - no need for a Visa.... :wink:
The magic is to find the right server; otherwise transmission qualtity is bad and movies stop consistently...
Nice showdown - a little bit oversized....
Thanks and Regards, Michael
Greetings Michael:

Glad to hear that you were able to watch the film without going through the dreaded TSA screening. :lol:

Global Media Regards,
John