Problems with Genius machine

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Cyberchess wrote:
fourthirty wrote: John,

I've never heard of that before. Is this true for Energizer and Duracell batteries? If yes, how do you submit a claim?

Energizer Bunny regards...
Greg
Greetings Greg:

Back around '77, I received a nifty Blackjack (21) calculator with a nice bright LED display as a gift. The device wasn’t much larger than a scientific calculator of the same era, didn’t weigh very much, was easy to tote along while commuting, etc., though the LED display ate up batteries at an alarming rate. Long story short, I wound up installing some "bargain brand" batteries in the unit which leaked into the circuitry – relegating my vintage tech-toy to the trash bin.

Ever since then, I’ve learned my lesson and only use premium alkaline batteries, though am partial to Energizers.

http://www.energizer.com/about-batterie ... ry-leakage

I’ve yet to have to file a claim with them, but...

Better Safe Than Sorry Regards,
John
Interesting. I had no idea such a guarantee existed. Thanks John!
masterclass

Post by masterclass »

Cyberchess wrote:
Fernando wrote:what if deliver 1000 mA?
The thing will burn?

Fern
No. The device draws what is needed from the power supply.

Well it might burn. Yes the device draws the amps needed - but if much less than available i have read the device gets far more volts instead.
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

I believe the masterclass is correct in his reading of this issue - in the case of an unregulated power supply.

Greg (fourthirty) posted the adapter specs: 5volts @ 0.6Amps. If the power supply was of the regulated typed of the right voltage and polarity, then there shouldn't be a problem afaik.

But with an unregulated type, if the Amp rating is different, that will affect the voltage output. If the draw is lower than the supply's rating, voltage will go up - and potential for damage to the unit being supplied. If the draw in excess of the rating, the voltage will be less than rated - and it could overheat / damage the transformer.

You can see by putting a voltmeter on a power supply. If Greg measured the voltage on his supply, it should be in excess of 5 volts (there is no load in that case).
Larry

Post by Larry »

fourthirty wrote: the manufacturers will repair or replace any device damaged by battery leakage.
I'm guessing this was a minor typo?... you meant "will not repair...", yes?

Regarding using both batteries and adaptor at the same time, this is at
odds with the Stratos, where in the owners' manual they actually advise
you to use batteries *and* adaptor together.
L
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Watchman wrote:I believe the masterclass is correct in his reading of this issue - in the case of an unregulated power supply.

Greg (fourthirty) posted the adapter specs: 5volts @ 0.6Amps. If the power supply was of the regulated typed of the right voltage and polarity, then there shouldn't be a problem afaik.

But with an unregulated type, if the Amp rating is different, that will affect the voltage output. If the draw is lower than the supply's rating, voltage will go up - and potential for damage to the unit being supplied. If the draw in excess of the rating, the voltage will be less than rated - and it could overheat / damage the transformer.

You can see by putting a voltmeter on a power supply. If Greg measured the voltage on his supply, it should be in excess of 5 volts (there is no load in that case).
Greetings Rob:

Now that you mention it, I’ve been using a couple of these regulated 1.5V – 12V 500ma AC/DC converters for all of my Novag pressure sensory machines (Forte B; Diamond; Star Diamond) and several of the RS Saitek/Mephisto made units (2200X; 2250XL; Master Chess) for years without a hitch. They’re quite inexpensive and reliable, though I would recommend measuring the output with a volt meter as the exact output voltage varies considerably on these low cost units and may not correspond with the labeled setting.

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Star-Regula ... AC+adapter

While I don’t own a MCG unit, if 600ma are required, I wouldn’t use anything less than a 1 Amp regulated converter.

Also, I’ve always used batteries in conjunction with the converter so as to maintain the capacitor levels required to save all my setting preferences when the machine is stored away.
Plugging in an adapter should isolate the battery supply while in use – or so I thought.

Powered Up Regards,
John
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Larry wrote:
fourthirty wrote: the manufacturers will repair or replace any device damaged by battery leakage.
I'm guessing this was a minor typo?... you meant "will not repair...", yes?

L
Greetings Larry:

I’m praying that the aforementioned wasn’t a typo or incorrect in any way because, for the first time ever, I’m in the unfortunate position of having to file a claim for damages due to Energizer battery leakage. The following is a photo of the battery compartment of my RS Master Chess computer that served as a faithful companion on many distant adventures in the good ol' pre-smartphone days. Only one battery went bad, and the unit still works fine with the adapter, but one of the battery terminals is badly corroded and shrouded by the outer case.

:cry: Schachcomputer Suffering Regards,
John
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

:P Great news!

Energizer contacted me today, we agreed on a settlement, and they are sending me a check and a coupon for new batteries to compensate me for my corroded battery terminal.

I highly recommend that you use only Energizer brand batteries in your new and vintage schachcomputers, and may the force be with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP7fOZiOLLk

8) Energized For Life Regards,
John
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Cyberchess wrote::P Great news!

Energizer contacted me today, we agreed on a settlement, and they are sending me a check and a coupon for new batteries to compensate me for my corroded battery terminal.

I highly recommend that you use only Energizer brand batteries in your new and vintage schachcomputers, and may the force be with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP7fOZiOLLk

8) Energized For Life Regards,
John
Hi John,
On the Energizer website it mentions that you must send them the damaged electrical items along with the damaged batteries and they will replace or repair the item. How did this work out in your situation with a chess computer that is hard to replace or value?

Curious...regards,
Dave
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Dave C wrote: Hi John,
On the Energizer website it mentions that you must send them the damaged electrical items along with the damaged batteries and they will replace or repair the item. How did this work out in your situation with a chess computer that is hard to replace or value?

Curious...regards,
Dave
Greetings Dave:

You may have noticed that I first realized that my RS MC unit wasn’t working with the installed batteries back in May. Since believing – as it states on the website – that I would have to pack up the unit for safe shipping to Energizer headquarters, I wound up procrastinating and had actually forgotten all about my insurance claim until recently.

Once I did get around to calling the customer service hotline, they asked me several insurance claim related questions, requested the photos (some of which are posted in this thread), and got back to me in only 4 business days.
The issue was satisfactorily resolved without my even having to ship the unit.

All’s Well That Ends Well Regards,
John
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Cyberchess wrote: The issue was satisfactorily resolved without my even having to ship the unit.

John
John,

That's amazing. Congratulations. Thanks for giving me the heads up about their guarantee.

You've converted me from a Duracell Dude to an...

Energizer Bunny Regards,
Greg
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Cyberchess wrote: Greetings Dave:

You may have noticed that I first realized that my RS MC unit wasn’t working with the installed batteries back in May. Since believing – as it states on the website – that I would have to pack up the unit for safe shipping to Energizer headquarters, I wound up procrastinating and had actually forgotten all about my insurance claim until recently.

Once I did get around to calling the customer service hotline, they asked me several insurance claim related questions, requested the photos (some of which are posted in this thread), and got back to me in only 4 business days.
The issue was satisfactorily resolved without my even having to ship the unit.

John
Greetings John,

Thank you for the update. Excellent customer service.

Engerized regards, Dave
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Thanks Greg and Dave!

I've currently installed Energizer Max batteries in my new ZMF chess clock as I would hate to run out of juice in the middle of a tournament game.

Energizers and Chess Regards,
John
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Cyberchess wrote:Thanks Greg and Dave!

I've currently installed Energizer Max batteries in my new ZMF chess clock as I would hate to run out of juice in the middle of a tournament game.

Energizers and Chess Regards,
John
Oh, I solved that problem long ago. I just hook up my clock to one of these:

Batteries not included regards...