Ivan the terrible versions

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
JMark

Ivan the terrible versions

Post by JMark »

Hello, I've always understood Ivan the Terrible (701E) had two versions, the old housing with speaker on the bottom and the newer version using the Alexandria, Igor housing (both versions use the same software). This seems to be confirmed in a post by Ron Nelson. I now see an Ivan listed on ebay that takes 3 AA batteries instead of the usual four, I've never seen that before. Unless I'm missing something is this a third version? The box although newer looking is not a design that I'm familiar with for Ivan, its graphics relate more to Ivan II. Also I was curious, does anyone know if Ivan's voice was done in a studio or is it computer generated? Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ivan-the-Terrib ... Sw41xXOhKp
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Ivan the terrible versions

Post by Fernando »

JMark wrote:Hello, I've always understood Ivan the Terrible (701E) had two versions, the old housing with speaker on the bottom and the newer version using the Alexandria, Igor housing (both versions use the same software). This seems to be confirmed in a post by Ron Nelson. I now see an Ivan listed on ebay that takes 3 AA batteries instead of the usual four, I've never seen that before. Unless I'm missing something is this a third version? The box although newer looking is not a design that I'm familiar with for Ivan, its graphics relate more to Ivan II. Also I was curious, does anyone know if Ivan's voice was done in a studio or is it computer generated? Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ivan-the-Terrib ... Sw41xXOhKp
This is the Ivan I have. Good strength, voice clear, sounds, etc
Good purchase.
Festina Lente