Mephisto Lyon 68030 Munchen Board Problem

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Scally

Mephisto Lyon 68030 Munchen Board Problem

Post by Scally »

Hello,
I've just found this excellent site and have enjoyed reading most of the posts during the last few days.

I've had a Mephisto Lyon 68030 tournament board since they were introduced, bought from Eric at Countrywide Computers. I've recently upgraded to the London Program from Richard. With both EPROMs I have a problem with the C1 square which is always lit. Everything else still works and the move from and to squares light up, but the C1 square is always lit, albeit dimmer than the move squares.

Any ideas why this should be?

Thanks

Al.
Larry

Re: Mephisto Lyon 68030 Munchen Board Problem

Post by Larry »

Scally wrote:Hello,
I've just found this excellent site and have enjoyed reading most of the posts during the last few days.

I've had a Mephisto Lyon 68030 tournament board since they were introduced, bought from Eric at Countrywide Computers. I've recently upgraded to the London Program from Richard. With both EPROMs I have a problem with the C1 square which is always lit. Everything else still works and the move from and to squares light up, but the C1 square is always lit, albeit dimmer than the move squares.

Any ideas why this should be?

Thanks

Al.
Hi, and welcome to the forum. We do tend to be non tech types here,
but we are not completely useless. All collectors get functional problems
with their comps from time to time.
Since the game still works, I'd be suspecting the playing surface contacts, and pull out my soldering iron. Try melting the soldered joints
of the offending LED. Still no luck, try replacing the LED.
Hope this helps...
Larry
Scally

Post by Scally »

Thanks Larry for the speedy response. I think I'll attempt my first soldering project on my 2 broken Fidelity Chess Challenger 7s first before attempting any soldering on my Beasty...

Al.