Problems with Tasc R30 and my smartboard II

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
dedicate computers

Problems with Tasc R30 and my smartboard II

Post by dedicate computers »

Hello Chessfirends,

When I play with my SB20 with PC programs, for example, Chessgenius, I have to inform to chessgenius that my SB20 is type II, and works fine!
When I connect the SB20 to R30 version 2.5 does not work, I honestly don't know the reason it doesn't work.
Please, I need some guidance, maybe the cable that connects SB20 to R30 is faulty?
Regards
Oswaldo

blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Oswaldo,

hard to say out of the distance...

The operator module display shows "Smartboard I"; generally Smartboard I and V2.5 should match. It's a cable or an operator module issue - first check the cable with a multimeter; here you can find the pin assignment.

T(B)est Regards, Michael
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Oswaldo,

The operator module display shows "Smartboard I"; generally Smartboard I and V2.5 should match. This means that communication between board and operator module is fine. You can check the cable with a multimeter; here you can find the pin assignment. But I think the cable is working...

T(B)est Regards, Michael
dedicate computers

R30 with SB20 type II

Hi Oswaldo,

The operator module display shows "Smartboard I"; generally Smartboard I and V2.5 should match. This means that communication between board and operator module is fine. You can check the cable with a multimeter; here you can find the pin assignment. But I think the cable is working...

Hi Michael, Thanks for writing, the fact is that my smartboard is type II! I don't know why R30 version 2.5 show that I have SB20 I. See I have a SB20 type II:

And as I said, when I connect R30-version 2.5 the system indicates that I have a SB20 type like the photo: So I'm confused!

blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Oswaldo,

ok, I checked my V2.5 operator module - it shows "Smartboard I" even if the board isn't connected to the operator module. This means, that your module doesn't recognize the board. If the smartbrd software recognizes the board as Smartboard II, the cable must be damaged or it's the wrong one.

As you can see at the pin assignment link I posted before, it's a cable with 6 terminals, a RJ12 western connector with six terminals at the board side and a RJ45 western connector with 8 terminals at the operator module side. Check this cable carefully and measure all leads with a multimeter. Look at the 8 terminal RJ45 western connector and check the pin assignment carefully - the six cable terminals are not in the middle of the connector but shifted to one side!

Regards, Michael
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Hi Oswaldo, I think the R30 and the board are broken and cannot be fixed BUT since im a nice person I can give you $200 dollars for both so I can use them as parts......of course just kidding!!

My r30 also shows smartboard I when nothing is connected to it. Must be the cable

Bad connection regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
dedicate computers

Connection R30

Hello,

Could someone explain what is the 6 pin connection shown in the photo as letter b in the module R30?
Regards
Oswaldo

xchessg

Re: Connection R30

Post by xchessg »

dedicate computers wrote:Hello,

Could someone explain what is the 6 pin connection shown in the photo as letter b in the module R30?
Regards
Oswaldo

Hi,

I believe it was designed to connect to PC for downloading other programs from disks on PC. Like in the way you can install a Program on the Tasc plug in cards. The Tasc company didn't get so far because they went out of business.

Xavier
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Oswaldo,

problem solved? :?

Regards, Michael
dedicate computers

SB20

Hi Oswaldo,

problem solved? Confused

Regards, Michael
Hello Michael
I'm waiting for new eproms, once in the literature SB20 should work with R30 version 2.5
Regards
Oswaldo
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Oswaldo,

your operator module is showing v2.5.....
Why new ones?

Regards, Michael
dedicate computers

New eproms

Hi Oswaldo,

your operator module is showing v2.5.....
Why new ones?

Regards, Michael
Hi Michael
in machines all is possible, who can tell me if the eprom is faulty with proper security? everything that I read, SB20 should work with R30 v. 2.5. If it does not work with the new eproms, I will sell it, unless I find a SB30.
All my best
Oswaldo
dedicate computers

Lot of confusion.

Hello,

Of all exposed frankly huge mis-matched opinions that I have received by email. Some saying the SB20 works with R30, other saying the SB20 does not work with R30,-note, R30 version 2.5. In conclusion, a lot of confusion.
Regards
Oswaldo
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Oswaldo,

very easy to explain:

SB30: 81 LEDs - 2 board types: analog/pieces model 1/Smartboard I (the old/very first Tasc chess board) works only with v2.2 (v2.23 and Gideon 3.1) - digital/pieces model 2/Smartboard II works only with v2.5 (I do not have this board; I read somewhere, that it would exist - it's an assumption!)

SB20: 64 LEDs - works only with v2.5 - 2 board types: analog/pieces model 1/Smartboard II - digital/pieces model 2/Smartboard II (Operator Module and Smartbrd software)/III (Smartmon software)

To emphasize and make sure to understand: SB20 works with R30 (Operator Module) v2.5 but not with R30 (Operator Module) v2.2 - so it works and works not with R30 (Operator Module) because it depends on which software version is inside!

Clarify regards, Michael
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

blaubaer wrote:

To emphasize and make sure to understand: SB20 works with R30 (Operator Module) v2.5 but not with R30 (Operator Module) v2.2 -
And that is exactly what i have mentioned to Oswaldo several times now

sadly..he has an SB20 and R30 v2.5 and they are not working together
there is a defect somewhere..so something is wrong...

Horribly Wrong Regards...
Steve