Problems with Tasc R30 and my smartboard II

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
dedicate computers

Smartboard - pieces digital or analog

Post by dedicate computers »

very easy to explain:

SB30: 81 LEDs - 2 board types: analog/pieces model 1/Smartboard I (the old/very first Tasc chess board) works only with v2.2 (v2.23 and Gideon 3.1) - digital/pieces model 2/Smartboard II works only with v2.5 (I do not have this board; I read somewhere, that it would exist - it's an assumption!)

SB20: 64 LEDs - works only with v2.5 - 2 board types: analog/pieces model 1/Smartboard II - digital/pieces model 2/Smartboard II (Operator Module and Smartbrd software)/III (Smartmon software)

To emphasize and make sure to understand: SB20 works with R30 (Operator Module) v2.5 but not with R30 (Operator Module) v2.2 - so it works and works not with R30 (Operator Module) because it depends on which software version is inside!

Come on by, first show the following graph, which I understand that reproduces what Michael and Steve said:

from what I understand, there are two models of the SB20, analog/pieces model 1 - Smartboard II and digital/pieces model 2 - Smartboard II.

My questions:

How do I know if I have analog/pieces model 1 or digital/pieces model 2 - Smartboard II?
Note that the program “smartboard monitor” says I have Smartboard II but analog/pieces model 1 or digital/pieces model 2 ?
Regards
Oswaldo Monteiro
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Hello Oswaldo

I think there are photos of the two types here -

http://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/sh ... atzfiguren

Follow the links on the first post.

Good luck
Mike
blaubaer

Re: Smartboard - pieces digital or analog

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Oswaldo,
dedicate computers wrote: My questions:

How do I know if I have analog/pieces model 1 or digital/pieces model 2 - Smartboard II?
Note that the program “smartboard monitor” says I have Smartboard II but analog/pieces model 1 or digital/pieces model 2 ?
as Mike posted, the easiest way to identify the chess piece type is to open the chess piece at the bottom and compare it with the pictures on schachcomputer.info. But watch out, Typ I chess pieces on schachcomputer.info are the digital/pieces model 2 in my post and vice versa. This method even works if your SB20 is broken.

If you don't want to open the chess pieces, you need DOS/Windows 98 on your pc, the Tasc board/pc cable and the Tasc software Smartbrd (DOS) and/or Smartmon (Win98).

The Operator Module cannot differentiate between analog and digital board types.

Smartmon (Win98) indicates analog SB30 as Smartboard I, analog SB20 as Smartboard II and digital SB20 as Smortboard III - as I don't have a digital SB30 I cannot comment on that board.

Smartbrd (DOS) only indicates Smartboard I and Smarboard II but here you can check the difference analog/digital by watching the chess piece id. Analog chess pieces do not change their id when changing their field on the board - they have an individual id. Digital chess pieces change their id when changing their field on the board.

This method does not work, if your SB20 is broken.

Hope that helps regards, Michael
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

blaubaer wrote: as Mike posted, the easiest way to identify the chess piece type is to open the chess piece at the bottom and compare it with the pictures on schachcomputer.info.
...or on my site.... :D
dedicate computers

pieces tipe I or II

as Mike posted, the easiest way to identify the chess piece type is to open the chess piece at the bottom and compare it with the pictures on schachcomputer.info. But watch out, Typ I chess pieces on schachcomputer.info are the digital/pieces model 2 in my post and vice versa. This method even works if your SB20 is broken.

If you don't want to open the chess pieces, you need DOS/Windows 98 on your pc, the Tasc board/pc cable and the Tasc software Smartbrd (DOS) and/or Smartmon (Win98).

The Operator Module cannot differentiate between analog and digital board types.

Smartmon (Win98) indicates analog SB30 as Smartboard I, analog SB20 as Smartboard II and digital SB20 as Smortboard III - as I don't have a digital SB30 I cannot comment on that board.

Smartbrd (DOS) only indicates Smartboard I and Smarboard II but here you can check the difference analog/digital by watching the chess piece id. Analog chess pieces do not change their id when changing their field on the board - they have an individual id. Digital chess pieces change their id when changing their field on the board.
Michael;

I think my pieces are of type II, as photo to follow:

As I wrote, my pieces being type II I don't understand why R30 does not recognize the smartboard type II, as follows:

blaubaer

Re: pieces tipe I or II

Post by blaubaer »

Dear Oswaldo,
dedicate computers wrote:
I think my pieces are of type II, as photo to follow:

As I wrote, my pieces being type II I don't understand why R30 does not recognize the smartboard type II
right - your cable or board must have a defect...! If Smartmon recognizes the board the cable only could be defective. Did you already test the cable according to my previous post?

Sorry to say that regards, Michael
dedicate computers

Smartboard and R30 - test

right - your cable or board must have a defect...! If Smartmon recognizes the board the cable only could be defective. Did you already test the cable according to my previous post?
Hello Michael

A little patience, see the video, I have checked the cable with a multimeter; and the pin assignment is ok! Perhaps de module is defective?

https://youtu.be/XWS-IDiY6i4

Regards
Oswaldo
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

dedicate computers wrote:
very easy to explain:

SB30: 81 LEDs - 2 board types: analog/pieces model 1/Smartboard I (the old/very first Tasc chess board) works only with v2.2 (v2.23 and Gideon 3.1) - digital/pieces model 2/Smartboard II works only with v2.5 (I do not have this board; I read somewhere, that it would exist - it's an assumption!)

SB20: 64 LEDs - works only with v2.5 - 2 board types: analog/pieces model 1/Smartboard II - digital/pieces model 2/Smartboard II (Operator Module and Smartbrd software)/III (Smartmon software)

To emphasize and make sure to understand: SB20 works with R30 (Operator Module) v2.5 but not with R30 (Operator Module) v2.2 - so it works and works not with R30 (Operator Module) because it depends on which software version is inside!
Come on by, first show the following graph, which I understand that reproduces what Michael and Steve said:

from what I understand, there are two models of the SB20, analog/pieces model 1 - Smartboard II and digital/pieces model 2 - Smartboard II.

My questions:

Regards
Oswaldo Monteiro
I have a different issue with an SB20 board. I purchased an SB20 board with no chessmen. Yes, I agree....that was probably my first and biggest mistake.

I have an R30 2.5 with an SB30 board with chessmen. This combination works perfectly. I connected the SB20 board to the R30 and I tried using the SB30 chessmen with the SB20 board. It would not work. The R30 indicated the SB20 board was smartboard II.

I would look to buy chessmen for the SB20 board, but I don't know which type (analog or digital) to buy. Not that i have seen any TASC chessmen for sale recently.

Any suggestions? Regards,
Dave