SciSys Leonardo - Correct magnets to activate reed switches

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
trontreez

SciSys Leonardo - Correct magnets to activate reed switches

Post by trontreez »

I'm looking to make some substitute pieces for a piece-less SciSys Leonardo board I have. Just wondering if these magnets are suitable to put in the base of the pieces. I'm looking to put them in some plastic Saitek pieces from a Talking Chess academy. Are these suitable magnets?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pcs-Super-S ... Swcu5UNuRB

Is there anything else I need to know about reed switches and Neodymium magnets? Btw Mephisto Exclusive pieces worked fine on the board.

Also the board will be available for sale if anyone is interested. It's in perfect electronic condition with some peeling of the centre squares and surface scratches and the module bay door has a broken right hinge. I ship from Australia and can do a fair price.

Regards,
tt
Murat

Post by Murat »

You don't want to use magnets which are too powerful. I did experiment with magnets from Radio Shack years ago. The powerful ones tend to activate switches even from 1 inch height creating undesirable results.
b4xter

Post by b4xter »

10x2mm M35 neodymium magnet discs are just perfect for Leonardo/Renaissance boards (and for Elite A/S too). They are not too weak and not too strong. This is my personal experience, so just buy them. However I suggest to install them in a nice weighted Staunton set (made of wood), which is match to the board in size and style. I would not use tiny plastic pieces on these gorgous boards.

P.S.: magnet polarity sometimes counts. As for Elite A/S boards, I had to install the magnets in the right polarity. Not sure about the Leonardo.
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

Thank-you b4xter and Murat. I'll go ahead and get those 10x2mm M35's.

I'm really just looking to sell this board so I don't want to invest too much with some nice wooden pieces. But I definitely agree a nice set of wood pieces would be the way to go. The board isn't the best cosmetically too so would have to refurbish the board as well to match the nice new pieces ...

I'm lucky enough to have a mint condition Leo with original pieces for my personal collection :P

Regards,

tt
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

Just in case anyone was interested the 10x2mm M35 neodymium disc magnets work fine for activating the reed switches of the Scisys Leonardo. Either side (pole) of the magnet will activate the reed switch. Although the magnets are the perfect size for the base of the small plastic Saitek Talking Chess Academy pieces I used, they are much too strong for such pieces. The magnets need to be glued into place otherwise they will pull each other out from the base of the pieces. The pieces will also clump together in the bag I use to store them. I will possibly try weaker magnets or maybe even splash out on a set of wooden pieces.

Polarising regards,

tt