Selective Search back issues

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Eric Wainwright

Selective Search back issues

Post by Eric Wainwright »

Hello everybody,

I’d like to announce that Mike Watters and I are halfway through our project to scan and upload the entire collection of Selective Search computer chess magazines to his website. There are well over 150 issues in all, and if you’ve never had the chance to read them, you’re in for a real treat. Started in 1985, Selective Search covered the computer chess scene in elaborate and loving detail until it ceased publication in 2013.

You can access the initial set of issues on Mike’s website:

http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/sel ... earch.html

Eric Hallsworth, creator and editor of Selective Search magazine, has graciously given us his permission to make this historic set of issues available free of charge to computer chess aficionados everywhere.

Please enjoy!

Eric Wainwright & Mike Watters
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Kudos to you and Mike for taking on this massive project

Current And Future Generations will benefit greatly from it

Highest Regards
Steve
Larry

Post by Larry »

Extremely generous of you guys! This will be a great source of information
for all of us. Really looking forward to it.
Regards...Larry
alynch4047

Post by alynch4047 »

This is really fantastic, and a LOT of work so many thanks. Really looking forward to reading the earlier issues.
Dave C

selective Search Available

Post by Dave C »

Many thanks to you and Mike for making these invaluable references available on Mike's website. I am especially looking forward to seeing the earlier years too.

Great reading...Regards,
Dave
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

I can only repeat what others already said.
Great job, and many, many thanx!

Looking forward to reading regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello ,

Great Job guys !! Thank u for all the work u both do ,did already

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Thanks guys, also big thank you to Eric for allowing this. I was a subscriber for a few years from mid 90's to early 2000's pre internet for me so all computer chess news came from this publication. Also can't wait for the earlier editions to appear.
Scally

Post by Scally »

I too was a subscriber and did help Eric out operating his computers against Humans occasionally ....

Al.
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

Wow brings back memories
King Performance Chess Computer M830
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Hi All

Just to bring things up to date.
Issues 100-120 are now available on the website. Years 2002 (part)-2005.

For some hardcore chess computer nostalgia try the Dan & Kathe Spracklen article by Rob Van Son in Issue 106.

Rob wrote lots of articles for Eric Hallsworth during this period. Some I remember well include a Kurt Kispert interview (109) which really got me started collecting and led to all this, one on Ruud Martin (112) and the well named "Collecting Chess Computers - Passion or Madness" (119).

http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/sel ... _2005.html

All the best
Mike
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Hi Mike

This is great news!

Although I have probably read most of them, the old grey matter doesn't work as well as it did so reading them again is a pleasure.

With so many computer chess publications now appearing on your site, it is a chess computer enthusiasts dream!

Regards
Bryan
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Hi Bryan

Uploading and checking this stuff I often stop to read an article I had forgotten about. Makes it a slow process. :D

In the 2000s I used to bemoan the fact that there was so many PC software articles and so few chess computer ones. Actually with them all together there is plenty to read whatever your interest.

One of the noteworthy features of Selective Search up to 2005 was Eric Hallsworth's database of Human v Comp results. I am not sure that there is a comparable resource anywhere else. The last rating list with the Human results on it was Issue 117. There are sufficient games there to do a reasonably reliable Human-Comp Rating List which I think would show which programs and programmers do better against humans and which don't, though the Elos against humans were generally higher.

All the best
Mike
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

Hi,
in the latest section 91 - 120 the numbers 91 - 99 are not online. Is it a mistake or am I too impatient?

I hope, the rest will come soon ... I am really wating for the early numbers!
:D

Regards,
Sascha
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Mythbuster wrote:Hi,
in the latest section 91 - 120 the numbers 91 - 99 are not online. Is it a mistake or am I too impatient?

I hope, the rest will come soon ... I am really wating for the early numbers!
:D

Regards,
Sascha
Hi Sascha

You are too impatient. 😀
Numbers 50-99 should be scanned now and I will get a DVD from Eric soon.

The earliest Selective Searches were very simple. Just a few A4 sheets stapelled together. It took a few years for the magazine to develop into its later format. Maybe that is disappointing news, but there is some good news. There were actually two 'Selective Searches' for a while. One produced by Eric Hallsworth and one produced by his former boss (....long story) Mike Healey.
Both versions are good reading. We will try to get permission to publish Mike Healey's version also. Then there are also a few extra supplements/editions.

All the best
Mike