LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!!

Post by Fernando »

See what Franz Huber offer here....

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 67&t=60996
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!!

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:See what Franz Huber offer here....

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 67&t=60996
Amazing stuff, and a real act of generosity. I've checked out
the Super Conny. Going for my evening walk now, check some of
the others when I get back.
This plus the free magazines will keep me occupied for ages. :D
L
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Worthless to me

Just some more PC chess programs in Disguise...

Yawn Regards
Steve
Larry

Post by Larry »

Steve B wrote:Worthless to me

Just some more PC chess programs in Disguise...

Yawn Regards
Steve
For me they come in handy for checking solving times on problems
and for playing comp/comp games with comps I don't own.
We are all a little different...
L
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote: We are all a little different...
L
that's true
as a pure collector(and player) I see nothing of interest here
the over arching reason to play and collect dedicated chess computer's is to have a real board and chess set to play chess with..PC emulations of old dedicated chess computer programs utterly miss the mark

for me its nothing more them mixing..
Apples and Oranges Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Larry wrote: We are all a little different...
L
that's true
as a pure collector(and player) I see nothing of interest here
the over arching reason to play and collect dedicated chess computer's is to have a real board and chess set to play chess with..PC emulations of old dedicated chess computer programs utterly miss the mark

for me its nothing more them mixing..
Apples and Oranges Regards
Steve
The Taliban Chess Association told me they want you as a director....I wonder why...

Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
The Taliban Chess Association told me they want you as a director....I wonder why...

Fern
Furthermore...

dedicated chess computers have some monetary value
some a few dollars ..some several thousand dollars
what monetary value do these emulations have?
ill tell you...nothing..nada..zip

if this Huber fellow were to actually charge for his emulations ..even a small ,paltry sum of say ..$10 bucks..the number of downloads would decrease by 90-95%

Worthless Regards
Steve
larryadler

Post by larryadler »

I'll still be doing sparring with real machines. More fun.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Fern
Furthermore...

dedicated chess computers have some monetary value
some a few dollars ..some several thousand dollars
what monetary value do these emulations have?
ill tell you...nothing..nada..zip

if this Huber fellow were to actually charge for his emulations ..even a small ,paltry sum of say ..$10 bucks..the number of downloads would decrease by 90-95%

Worthless Regards
Steve

No doubt that always is better the real thing, BUT perhaps you should consider that for common folk like me and others it is simply a matter of MONEY. We cannot afford a collection even 1/1000 of the one you have. We have no real chance to get 99% of the computers, provided that they are still available. So, this is the lesser evil, so to speak, apart from the fact that some of the virtual machines presented by Franz are running at speeds that never were reachable in the real things and that fact provide an extra option of experiment and fun.

Common sense regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
perhaps you should consider that for common folk like me and others it is simply a matter of MONEY. We cannot afford a collection
Yes i can understand the appeal of these emulations to the...

Unwashed Masses Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
perhaps you should consider that for common folk like me and others it is simply a matter of MONEY. We cannot afford a collection
Yes i can understand the appeal of these emulations to the...

Unwashed Masses Regards
Steve
yes, I am a member of those unwashed masses, which are so because we have no water, no bath room, no facilities, etc, because all of that has been stolen by the rich guys that we will hang from the next tree, just listen the clamor of the masses, take a look from your windows, yes, the day of reckoning is near....

Lenin send his regards
F
Festina Lente
steffen

Post by steffen »

The key thing for playing with chess computers are the haptics. This is the major reason for most of the chess computer players and collectors. Have a board in front of yourself, move the chessmen by hand. THIS is our hobby.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Fernando wrote: No doubt that always is better the real thing, BUT perhaps you should consider that for common folk like me and others it is simply a matter of MONEY... so to speak, apart from the fact that some of the virtual machines presented by Franz are running at speeds that never were reachable in the real things and that fact provide an extra option of experiment and fun.

Common sense regards
Fern
I believe this is the clue of why this emulation of dedicated chess machines is growing. Besides you can also run the emulated machine at the same speed of the real dedicated chess machine and you can also have fun this way. Also this is a way to preserve these machines for ever. It will be like looking at an animated gallery and play and remember how these machine were. But there are also new machines that have some of this machines inside like Revelation I and II and also Mysticum.

More common sense and memory will never die regards
Ricardo
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

ricard60 wrote:
Fernando wrote: No doubt that always is better the real thing, BUT perhaps you should consider that for common folk like me and others it is simply a matter of MONEY... so to speak, apart from the fact that some of the virtual machines presented by Franz are running at speeds that never were reachable in the real things and that fact provide an extra option of experiment and fun.

Common sense regards
Fern
I believe this is the clue of why this emulation of dedicated chess machines is growing.
it is growing largely because it is free
again as I have mentioned...charge even a paltry sum for the PC emulations and the interest will be almost nil
Emulations built into a dedicated chess computer like the Revelation are perfectly acceptable to me..I have no issue with the concept of an emulation...
my only objection is when a chess engine ..which is the very heart ..indeed the very soul .. of a dedicated chess computer ..is ripped out and placed into the PC format
place it into another dedicated computer that is equipped for it and I am good to go

Im Easy Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
ricard60 wrote:

Common sense regards
Fern
I believe this is the clue of why this emulation of dedicated chess machines is growing.
it is growing largely because it is free
again as I have mentioned...charge even a paltry sum for the PC emulations and the interest will be almost nil
Emulations built into a dedicated chess computer like the Revelation are perfectly acceptable to me..I have no issue with the concept of an emulation...
my only objection is when a chess engine ..which is the very heart ..indeed the very soul .. of a dedicated chess computer ..is ripped out and placed into the PC format
place it into another dedicated computer that is equipped for it and I am good to go

Im Easy Regards
Steve

In any case this virtual machines, at least in my experience, are full of bugs. You push a square to get a knight jumping and you get a rook going out the board. So, yes, you are right, BUT i would be more convinced if you put in my hands, say, chess challenger super 9 at a symbolic price.

No losing chances to get greedy regards
fern
Festina Lente