King Performance questions

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
DaMaBu

King Performance questions

Post by DaMaBu »

New forum member posting here. I've enjoyed reading your interesting posts. I've gotten a Millennium King Performance and have enjoyed using it. I have a couple of questions about it. First, the seven specialty books - are they actually separate books or just pointers selecting the appropriate moves in the Master book? For example, set Book1=Gambits and Book2=Off. Now play white as follows: 1. e4 d5 (display shows 210 positions in book). 2. exd4 Nf6 (display continues showing 210 positions in book). 3. Nc4 Nxd5 (now display shows 308439, the number shown when in the Master book). And now it continues as if I had selected Book1=Master book. Having it fall back to the Master book when I stray from a Gambits opening is probably a reasonable design choice.

Also, after pushing the power button to enter USB mode or power the unit off, it shows "TT 320 KiB". Does TT indicate transposition (hash) table, and that it dedicates 320 Kbytes for a hash table?

Thanks
Larry

Post by Larry »

I’ve also got a King Performance. It’s pretty much rounded off
my collection. I haven’t fiddled with the settings as yet. Just thought
I’d let you know you can be confident the “TT” does mean transposition
tables, AKA hash tables.
L
Eric Wainwright

Post by Eric Wainwright »

Hello DaMaBu,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm pretty sure that the specialty books are just subsets of the master book using pointers. I too have noticed that the King falls back on the master book after exhausting lines in the specialty books. I was planning to do more research on this, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

And, I agree with Larry that the TT number refers to the hash table memory size. All of the RAM (384K) and Flash ROM (2MB) are contained on the single Cortex-M7 chip along with the CPU. I don't think they make these chips any bigger, so that's why the hash table is limited.

-Eric