Chess Genius Pro

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

IA wrote:Do not speculate , I have first-hand news , Richard Lang says that the version of MCG PRO is ChessGenius 3.0 Android chip adapted to M4.

Regard....:)
Hello IA,
And what about the version of the MCG is it the same?
mclane

Re: Chess Genius Pro

Post by mclane »

IvenGO wrote:
ricard60 wrote:
Sargon1972 wrote:Hello Guys,

Well the first people have the new Chess Genius Pro already
So i am allowed to write about

The 1th Beta Version arrived 17-02-2016 with 100mhz and less Hash then the Final version
The first impression ,strong !
But as in some games i had the idea that the CGPro did "overlook"some things
Well with the 2th Beta Version , a new CPU with 120Mhz and more Hash the comp. comes deeper and see more , but the Program have still the "Classical" Lang errors , that means in some positions it oversee some things in Middle game
In the 1th version there where 2books ,London what is already older then 20years , and a Modern Book what open with 1.b3 and so what was nice to see
By the Final Version ,it seems that the 2th Book is the Hiarcs Human book?(of that i am not 100% sure)
It play lines that are not good for the Program ,but there are also good lines as well .
Also i have the idea that Richard Lang have not 100% optimize the Program for these CPU and Hash
But people .....do we want that , because now the old dedicated still have a chance to win ,and that i like .
We don,t need a Book what is as a WC Book ,only for win ,and a Program over 2400 elo
The CGPro is strong, i have played +- 100 games on Active Chess and the result show a elo of 2402! on the Active List , i am sure that after more games it will end +- 2350 elo ,also for Tournament Games
Games u can play here :
http://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/sh ... #post60232

Well at the end i can say , i would buy one ,where do u get this strength in a Chess Computer for this Money ,but that is for everyone personal of course
Of course u have + and - points ,like Bigger Board,Wood ,LCD ,Options and so on
But i am happy that there still company,s like Millennium out there what make Chess Computers

Enjoy playing with the Chess Genius Pro ,well i did
P.s never use Battery,s and Power supply at the same time ,it will harm the computer ,even gets broken

Kr,Hans
Which version of Chess Genius is inside MCGPro? is it Genius 2 or 3 or other? Is it the same that has MCG?
Roma = CG for Palm = CG for WinMobile ~ CG for Android = Millenium CG
The arm version of CG for Palm had hash tables.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
IA

Post by IA »

ricard60 wrote:
IA wrote:Do not speculate , I have first-hand news , Richard Lang says that the version of MCG PRO is ChessGenius 3.0 Android chip adapted to M4.

Regard....:)
Hello IA,
And what about the version of the MCG is it the same?

Hello Ricard60, do not know (Version MCG1) but I can ask, as you 'll know it.

Regards.
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Q: Is ChessGenius for the Palm Computing® platform an actual World Champion Chess program?

A: Yes, the standard chess engine comes from the 1987 World Championship winner - the Mephisto Roma program. It was originally written in Motorola 68000 assembly language and so runs unchanged on Palm devices. (c) Richard Lang

For ARM there were HashTables added but core engine remained mostly the same (there were tests made for CG running under WindowsMobile devices that clearly shown it).

But of course anyone can keep thinking what he wants despite the facts & prooves...
larryadler

Post by larryadler »

By the way - it is remarkable that the brand publishing quite tawdry chess computers (Millenium):

1) further releases chess computers (after Novag/Saitek death),

2) releases a really strong machines.

for full happiness - be better made (wood!) and more accessible.
scandien

Re: Chess Genius Pro

Post by scandien »

ricard60 wrote:
IvenGO wrote: Which version of Chess Genius is inside MCGPro? is it Genius 2 or 3 or other? Is it the same that has MCG?
Roma = CG for Palm = CG for WinMobile ~ CG for Android = Millenium CG

So this means that it has not been developed a stronger version of CG since Mephisto Roma? What about this link:

http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... ermaschine

As you can see there is also not only Genius 2 but also Genius 5 that is loaded in the Wundermaschine and maybe there are others. So what version is inside the CGM? and CGMPro?

What Genius is inside regards
Ricardo
History of the Genius program :

In the palm chess program you have the folowing :
Chess Genius 1.8 which is the Roma program,as non ARM engine. It plays at a 1800-1900 Elo level.

The Chess Genius 1 runs on Mephisto Berlin 68000.
The Chess Genius 2 runs on Mephisto Berlin 68020, and the same program is used as engines in the Palm Chess Genius ( version 2.2).
the Chess Genius 3 runs on Mephisto Genius , the London version is a improvement of this version , and the program on the Millenium Chess Genius is a variation of Chess Genius 3.

best Regards

Nicolas
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Here is a long debate about this. http://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/sh ... 01&page=23

Probably still not clear which Genius is inside.

Unknown regards :?
Ricardo
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Its clear that its not a classic Genius for x86 PC. The real choice is between Psion - Amsterdam - Roma as core engine with slight improvements. So the name "GENIUS" in MCG & pro is only a marketing trick (as it was also for Palm / ARM programms).
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

The best way to find out this is to play some games with Roma, Amsterdam or Psion to see if they answer the same moves as MCG, lets say between 85% or up. Maybe the operating frecuency could make the difference so if it possible to overclock Roma to 40 or 48 MHz that it is the same operating frecuency as MCG. Probably i can do this with the Mysticum machine. Maybe this TEST can also be done with MESS.

Some test must be done regards
Ricardo
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

I load on the Mysticum machine the 32 bit version of Roma and speed it up to 40 MHz to get close to the real MCG machine. Then i choose a game from the 12. Online Aktivschach WM  round 4 between MCG and Rev II London.

1. c4 Nf6 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 b6 4. g3 Bb7 5. Bg2 Be7 6. O-O O-O 7. Nc3 Ne4 8. Qc2 Nxc3 9. Qxc3 c5 10. Rd1 d6 11. dxc5 bxc5 12. Bf4 Nc6 13. Qd3 e5 14. Bd2 Qb6 15. Bc3 Nd4 16. Ne1

In the test happened the following:

The first 11 moves were the same as Roma was on book so at least Roma and MCG both have this variation. The move 12. Bf4 Roma was out of book and did the same move as MCG Then moves 13 14 15 and 16 were different and so i stop the test here. Next test will be loading Amsterdam.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Here is the test with the Roma, Dallas and Amsterdam. Moves 13 to 16 were different also on Dallas and Amsterdam

MCG
12. Bf4
13.Qd3
14.Bd2
15.Bc3
16.Ne1

ROMA
12. Bf4
13.e4
14.Bc1
15.Ng5
16.Nxd4

DALLAS
12. Bf4
13.e4
14.Bc1
15.b3
16.Nxd4

AMSTERDAM
12. Bf4
13.e4
14.Be3
15.b3
16.Qd2

So probably they are not so close related
IA

Post by IA »

Response of RICHARD LANG

* The Millennium ChessGenius “introduced in late 2015” ” use the same ChessGenius engine as Android 2.6 and iOS V4.0.

* The Millennium ChessGenius Pro (2016) Android 3.0 has the same engine.

Regards.... :wink:
kponds

Post by kponds »

Hello,

I am looking for a chess computer and considering buying this one. This will be my first dedicated chess computer.

However I do not care for the metallic pieces. Is it possible to replace the pieces with other magnetic pieces of the same size, or is there something special about these pieces like RFID or such?

Thanks.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

kponds wrote:Hello,

I am looking for a chess computer and considering buying this one. This will be my first dedicated chess computer.

However I do not care for the metallic pieces. Is it possible to replace the pieces with other magnetic pieces of the same size, or is there something special about these pieces like RFID or such?

Thanks.
Hello Kponds and welcome to the forum.
No, there is nothing special about the metallic pieces. You can use any chessmen you prefer.

Best regards,
Dave
kponds

Post by kponds »

Thanks Dave.

The MCG Pro is now en route to me via chesshouse, along with a cheap 8" magnetic set which should serve as replacement pieces.

I am reading over the manual, which I found in PDF form.

Is there a general guideline as to the elo rating of the different difficulty levels? For example, if I wanted a ~1600 elo opponent, what would I set it on?

Are the 'fun' levels realistic (humanlike) at all? One of the reasons I have always liked HIARCS is that it would make realistic mistakes when set to a lower strength, whereas many other engines would play grandmaster moves 9/10 of the time and then make an egregious blunder that not even an 800 player would make. I am hoping for somewhat humanlike play with this.