Chess Genius Pro

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

fourthirty wrote: Ray & Steve,

Thank you for putting the MCG Pro thru its paces and posting so many games. I'm considering upgrading my MCG to the Pro.

A couple of quick questions about the Pro:

1. Is the LCD screen improved compared to the MCG, or does the backlight just remain on with the Pro?
2. Do you feel that the squares are more responsive?
3. Is the power adapter cord longer?

Just kidding about #3, but I am interested in the LCD and response of the squares... :D

Greg
Hi Greg,

The backlight stays on when the unit is connected to the mains. However, it can be turned on and off as desired. On batteries I believe it will behave the same way as the previous model but not tried that yet.

The squares are much more responsive, the first model requires quite a hefty push to register the moves. However, compared to my Stardiamond's board which has a very light action, the MCGP could be better. That said, it's fine and a big improvement.

The power cord is short. I purchased a cheap extension lead with two sockets which is great for machine matches. I originally bought a Pifco adaptor for the ChessGenius which works fine and has a longer lead. Also much cheaper! The plug is a little difficult to connect, but it does work.

From Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MAI ... Swg3FUkuZ4

However, I decided to buy the Millenium PSU for the Pro.

Regards
Ray
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Yarc wrote:
fourthirty wrote: Ray & Steve,

Thank you for putting the MCG Pro thru its paces and posting so many games. I'm considering upgrading my MCG to the Pro.

A couple of quick questions about the Pro:

1. Is the LCD screen improved compared to the MCG, or does the backlight just remain on with the Pro?
2. Do you feel that the squares are more responsive?
3. Is the power adapter cord longer?

Just kidding about #3, but I am interested in the LCD and response of the squares... :D

Greg
Hi Greg,

The backlight stays on when the unit is connected to the mains. However, it can be turned on and off as desired. On batteries I believe it will behave the same way as the previous model but not tried that yet.

The squares are much more responsive, the first model requires quite a hefty push to register the moves. However, compared to my Stardiamond's board which has a very light action, the MCGP could be better. That said, it's fine and a big improvement.

The power cord is short. I purchased a cheap extension lead with two sockets which is great for machine matches. I originally bought a Pifco adaptor for the ChessGenius which works fine and has a longer lead. Also much cheaper! The plug is a little difficult to connect, but it does work.

From Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MAI ... Swg3FUkuZ4

However, I decided to buy the Millenium PSU for the Pro.

Regards
Ray
Hi Ray,

Thank you for the info! Glad to hear that the board response has been improved. I agree - I feel the board on my SD is amazing.

Also - thanks for the tip on the power cord.

ChessHouse has them in stock. Hmmm... Time for an early Christmas gift to myself?

Upgrade fever regards...
Greg
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

7Chessfan7 wrote:I recently viewed the video clips of the Millennium Chess Genius Pro chess computer on YouTube.com. and was very surprised to see that the MCG Pro lacks LED lights on the chess board. How in the world could Millennium release either the C hess Genius or c hess Genius Pro chess computers onto the chess computer market without LED lights? Most of the fun of playing chess against a dedicated chess computer is not having to constantly look at a digital display screen to see if the chess computer has made a move! What was Millennium thinking when they released either of those two chess computers onto the chess computer market without LED lights?
I understand where you are coming from but would imagine they wanted to keep the price down. Releasing a new dedicated machine in today's market was a bit of a gamble. Maybe if the sales are good enough we might see an improved design.

Regards
Ray
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Here is game 2 of my 10 game match between the MCGP and Magellan with time control of 40m/2h and using MCGP's Human book with the Magellan using its Tournament book.

In this game they followed the Sicilian, Alapin variation. The Magellan was out of book at move 7, the MCGP at move 8:

[Event "40m/2h H book"]
[Date "2016.11.15"]
[Round "2"]
[White "Magellan"]
[Black "MCGP"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "B22"]

1.e4 c5 2.c3 d5 3.exd5 Qxd5 4.d4 Nf6 5.Nf3 e6 6.Na3 a6 7.Nc4 Nbd7 8.Ne3 Qd6 9.Bd3 cxd4 10.Nxd4 Qc7 11.O-O Bd6 12.Nf3 Nb6 13.Qe2 O-O 14.Rd1 Bd7 15.Nc2 Na4 16.Ncd4 Nc5 17.Bg5 Nxd3 18.Rxd3 Nd5 19.Rad1 Rac8 20.Qe4 h6 21.Bh4 Bf4 22.g3 Bd6 23.Nf5 Bc6 24.Nxd6 Qxd6 25.Ne5 Qc5 26.Nxc6 Qxc6 27.Qg4 Rc7 28.a3 g5 29.Bxg5 f5 30.Qh5 hxg5 31.Qxg5+ Rg7 32.Qd2 f4 33.Rd4 fxg3 34.hxg3 Qc7 35.Kh1 Qe5 36.Rh4 b5 37.Rh2 Nf6 38.Rg1 Ne4 39.Qd4 Nxf2+ 40.Rxf2 Rxf2 41.Qxf2 Qe4+ 42.Rg2 Rh7+ 43.Kg1 Qb1+ 44.Qf1 Rh1+ 45.Kxh1 Qxf1+ 46.Kh2 e5 47.Rg1 Qe2+ 48.Rg2 Qh5+ 49.Kg1 Qd1+ 50.Kh2 e4 51.Rg1 Qh5+ 52.Kg2 Qf3+ 53.Kh2 e3 54.b3 e2 55.c4 bxc4 56.bxc4 Qf2+ 57.Kh1 a5 58.c5 Qxc5 59.Kh2 Qxa3 60.Kg2 a4 61.g4 Qe3 62.Ra1 a3 63.Rg1 Qxg1+ 0-1

In these matches I have decided to play until one of the machines announces mate in x moves or until I think enough moves have been played with no progress.

Final position:
[fen]6k1/8/8/8/6P1/p7/4p1K1/6q1 w - - 0 64[/fen]
The MCGP announced mate in 7.

A steady plod of a game with the MCGP out calculating the Magellan in the end game. This brings them level at one game each.

Regards
Ray
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

fourthirty wrote: Thank you for the info! Glad to hear that the board response has been improved. I agree - I feel the board on my SD is amazing.
Greetings Greg:

All of my Novag pressure sensory units (Forte B, Diamond, Star Diamond) had very good sensitivity and were a pleasure to play on. Having first experienced the Fidelity Sensory Chess Challenger and Par Excellence units, I noticed a marked improvement when I acquired my first Novag.

Some of the RS/Saitek/Mephisto made pressure sensory units seemed almost like auto-sensory boards, though one that was a bit difficult to register was the RS 2250XL, as I recall. While not as strong as a Novag Diamond according to my Game 60 testing of several units from the late ‘90s, the larger form factor and LCD screen were nice plusses, though the board would have really benefitted from improved sensitivity.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Regards,
John
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Cyberchess wrote:Some of the RS/Saitek/Mephisto made pressure sensory units seemed almost like auto-sensory boards, though one that was a bit difficult to register was the RS 2250XL, as I recall. While not as strong as a Novag Diamond according to my Game 60 testing of several units from the late ‘90s, the larger form factor and LCD screen were nice plusses, though the board would have really benefitted from improved sensitivity.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Regards,
John
Thanks John. I don't own a 2250XL, but I've been watching eBay for a good deal on one. Unfortunately, most of the units I've seen are being sold "untested", have missing pieces, or just plain look beat up! All bad and ugly - no good!
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

There are a lot of "near clones" of the 2250XL, like the GK 2100, the Saitek Centurion, Mephisto Chess Challenger, Saitek Cougar, Mephisto Explorer Pro.
The one thing they are missing is the large display. So if you can do without that, they are not hard to get I guess.
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
lexman

Post by lexman »

for those interested the Genius Pro attained a wiki rating of 2307 on the Active Wiki List with the London Book. its little brother the earlier MCG got 2218. Its tournament rating is rumored to come in rather higher
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

lexman wrote:for those interested the Genius Pro attained a wiki rating of 2307 on the Active Wiki List with the London Book. its little brother the earlier MCG got 2218. Its tournament rating is rumored to come in rather higher
From my limited testing with a long time control and others results at fast time controls this figure looks about right. I am currently agreeing with Steve that the longer the time control the lower the ELO achieved. When I finally get around to continuing my tournament with the Magellan at 40moves/2 hours I will have a better idea.

Regards Ray