Rybka-GM Benjamin Pawn Odds Match

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Rybka-GM Benjamin Pawn Odds Match

Post by Steve B »

game 1 was supposed to have started today at 10am(EST)

i do not see it on the Convekta Playing Zone where the Ehlvest match was broadcast live
is the match still on??

:shock: Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted Summers

Re: Rybka-GM Benjamin Pawn Odds Match???

Post by Ted Summers »

Steve B wrote:game 1 was supposed to have started today at 10am(EST)

i do not see it on the Convekta Playing Zone where the Ehlvest match was broadcast live
is the match still on??

:shock: Regards
Steve
I steve, the match is tomorrow.

1) Time Limit: One hour per side, 30" increment.
2) Eight games, two per day Aug. 6 thru Aug. 9.
3) Schedule: 10 a .m. and 4 p.m. each day (Eastern time). Match location: my home in Potomac , Maryland .
4) In each game, Rybka removes a different one of the eight pawns at the start.
5) Colors: In the four games in which Rybka removes a rook's pawn or a bishop's pawn, Rybka plays Black. In the other four games, Rybka plays White.

See the link below:

http://chessok.com/
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

hi Ted

woops my error

thanks for that!

Best
Steve
:oops:
George Speight

Post by George Speight »

Ive thought about it, but cant put my finger on the exact reason. But there is just something about a chess program having to give a really strong chess player a handicap that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I dont know the monetary details, but if it were me, i would rather lose straight up, or win straight up. It's like we are admitting that humans can no longer play with the best chess programs. Even tho it may be true, are we supposed to admit it!? :shock:

Humbled regards,
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

George Speight wrote:Ive thought about it, but cant put my finger on the exact reason. But there is just something about a chess program having to give a really strong chess player a handicap that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I dont know the monetary details, but if it were me, i would rather lose straight up, or win straight up. It's like we are admitting that humans can no longer play with the best chess programs. Even tho it may be true, are we supposed to admit it!? :shock:

Humbled regards,
well i agree that odds where normal game play is altered is not very interesting

however i think that strong GM's can perhaps still hold their own against the top engines when playing white but they can no longer compete when playing black

that is why i am backing a return match but with GM Benjamin having "Draw Odds"..

but i am still interested in the outcome of this match because these odds are more in Joel's favor then draw odds would be

so if he loses this match (which i think he wont) then there will be little interest in a rematch

Pensive Regards
Steve
George Speight

Post by George Speight »

What really would have been interesting to me was (before they went and dismantled Deep Blue) was to see a match between DB and either Rybka or Hiarcs. Now that would have been interesting. Tho im doubting DB could have beaten either- but you never know.
George Speight

Post by George Speight »

BTW Steve, you need to get Fern. over here- thats when the fun would really start :lol:
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

George Speight wrote:BTW Steve, you need to get Fern. over here- thats when the fun would really start :lol:
Fern has joined from the first day i think

and already he is causing BIG trouble

:wink: Regards
Steve
Rjand

Post by Rjand »

Steve B wrote:
George Speight wrote:Ive thought about it, but cant put my finger on the exact reason. But there is just something about a chess program having to give a really strong chess player a handicap that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I dont know the monetary details, but if it were me, i would rather lose straight up, or win straight up. It's like we are admitting that humans can no longer play with the best chess programs. Even tho it may be true, are we supposed to admit it!? :shock:

Humbled regards,
well i agree that odds where normal game play is altered is not very interesting

however i think that strong GM's can perhaps still hold their own against the top engines when playing white but they can no longer compete when playing black

that is why i am backing a return match but with GM Benjamin having "Draw Odds"..

but i am still interested in the outcome of this match because these odds are more in Joel's favor then draw odds would be

so if he loses this match (which i think he wont) then there will be little interest in a rematch

Pensive Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

Would you still be interested in backing a return match if GM Benjamin lost?? It would seem to be a waste of money. Maybe if he knows theres the chance for a return match for some extra cash he'll try even harder.

My Best,
Rick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

hi Rick

that is the idea

:wink: Regards
Steve
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Live Broadcast of Match

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Live Broadcast of Match

Post by Steve B »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Direct web broadcast is here:

http://ecmc.ru:8080/mantis_test/broadcast/live.html
hi Harvey

following the game on Convekta
GM Benjamin takes game 1!

:D

Steve B Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

1.d4 Nf6 2.d5 Nxd5 3.Nh3 Nf6 4.Ng1 Ng8 5.e4 Nc6 6.Nf3 Nf6 7.Nc3 e5 8.Bc4 Bb4 9.O-O Bxc3 10.bxc3 d6 11.Ng5 O-O 12.Nxf7 Rxf7 13.Bxf7+ Kxf7 14.f4 0-1

Benjamin wins game 1. Rybka team say there is a bug in the contempt setting.

Rybka is White
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Harvey Williamson wrote:1.d4 Nf6 2.d5 Nxd5 3.Nh3 Nf6 4.Ng1 Ng8 5.e4 Nc6 6.Nf3 Nf6 7.Nc3 e5 8.Bc4 Bb4 9.O-O Bxc3 10.bxc3 d6 11.Ng5 O-O 12.Nxf7 Rxf7 13.Bxf7+ Kxf7 14.f4 0-1

Benjamin wins game 1.
Rybka is White

Yes Regards!
Steve
:P
genorb

Post by genorb »

Harvey Williamson wrote:1.d4 Nf6 2.d5 Nxd5 3.Nh3 Nf6 4.Ng1 Ng8 5.e4 Nc6 6.Nf3 Nf6 7.Nc3 e5 8.Bc4 Bb4 9.O-O Bxc3 10.bxc3 d6 11.Ng5 O-O 12.Nxf7 Rxf7 13.Bxf7+ Kxf7 14.f4 0-1

Benjamin wins game 1. Rybka team say there is a bug in the contempt setting.

Rybka is White
Where did you see that??

The game seems to be

1. d4 Nf6 2. d5 Nxd5 3. Nh3 Nf6 4. Ng1 Ng8 5. e4 Nc6 6. Nf3 Nf6 7. Nc3 e5 8. Bc4 Bb4 9. O-O Bxc3 10. bxc3 d6 11. Re1 h6 *

and this is not finished...