Stockfish 6 on Revelation II

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Wardy

Stockfish 6 on Revelation II

Post by Wardy »

So I finally got around to installing the latest firmware update that includes Stockfish 6.

Not played for ages so thought I'd dust off on an average 15seconds per move as white against Stockfish.

Stockfish forced a draw through 3 fold repetition!!

Anyone else found stockfish to be weaker than expected?? I assumed it would be stronger than Hiarcs but perhaps I'm wrong?

Not that good a player regards

Paul
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Stockfish 6 on Revelation II

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Wardy wrote:So I finally got around to installing the latest firmware update that includes Stockfish 6.

Not played for ages so thought I'd dust off on an average 15seconds per move as white against Stockfish.

Stockfish forced a draw through 3 fold repetition!!

Anyone else found stockfish to be weaker than expected?? I assumed it would be stronger than Hiarcs but perhaps I'm wrong?

Not that good a player regards

Paul
It may not be stronger. Hiarcs tends to perform very well on slower/older hardware.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Hi Harvey,

I did wonder something similar, especially given the fast time control.

I've manage to get time for a quick game with Hiarcs on the same settings and it mercilessly punished me for a tactical error, first dropping a pawn.....ultimately announcing mate in 8 with what I swear was a silicon grin.

Subjectively Hiarcs played a stronger game at this time control to my mind.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Anyone have a rough idea as to the rating for Rev II Stockfish at 40/2?

Gone Fishing Regards
Steve
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Steve B wrote:Anyone have a rough idea as to the rating for Rev II Stockfish at 40/2?

Gone Fishing Regards
Steve
Who knows but for sure over 2950. I take this from our match between Rev II Hiarcs 14.1 and Mysticum Houdini 1.5a http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0 Both of these machines were over Fritz 8 and Fritz X.

Close or over 3000 regards
Elo
Scally

Post by Scally »

Stockfish 7 on PicoChess RPi 2 (900MHz) is graded at 3100, so Stockfish 6 on Rev II (800+MHz) must be around 3000+. I can't test this as I use my Rev II as my DGT board for PicoChess, so can't play them against each other.

However I'm running SCID vs PC tournaments on my RPi 3, but could swap that for RPi2 (closer to Rev II speed) and run Stockfish 7 v 6. On the CCRL list they are rated at 3338 and 3302 on 64 bit 2.4 GHz machines if anyone has a formula to calculate down from that?

Al.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Thanks Al And Ricardo

3000 Regards
Steve
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

I'd be surprised if it was as high as that - the Rev II is single core and is at an architecture/speed & RAM disadvantage to the Pi. I'd guess at 2800-2850 tops.

Of course there is only one way to test and that's going to take a chunk of time.

Dissension in the ranks regards

Paul