which dedicated computer for a little champion?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
b4xter

which dedicated computer for a little champion?

Post by b4xter »

Dear All,

chess is started to interest my six-year-old son recently (and as far as I see, he is a decent player for his age - today he won a gold medal at a local contest among 6-10 year old kids, and he was the youngest one). I am trying to choose the suitable coach machine for him - which dedicated unit can you recommend? The ideal candidate plays many opening variant, and has a human-like playing style. I have the following units:

Kasparov Conquistador
Kasparov Blitz
Kasparov Centurion
Radio Shack 2150L
Elite A/S without modules
RFT Chess Master
RFT Chess Master Diamond with opening and endgame modules
CXG 3000
Conchess Ambassador without modules
Mephisto MM IV
Mephisto Miami
Mephisto Milano
Mephisto Milano Pro

But I am ready to buy anything else. Which machine would be the best for a pre-school aged child? Which playing strength, which mode would be the best for this purpose?

Regards,

Tibor
mclane

Post by mclane »

I would not get a champion that is too strong.
You should slowly increase opponents strength.
He should win from time to time. Otherwise it makes no fun.

The rft machines can be beaten.
Mephisto 1,2 and 3 can be beaten.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

Can I recommend Super Conny or Constellation Expert with human like play and the option of a gambit book. Also I found Mephisto Talking Chess Academy to be quite instructive however my unit malfunctioned after not much use. Excellence and Par-Excellence (Designer 2000 or 2100) are also interesting programs.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: which dedicated computer for a little champion?

Post by Fernando »

b4xter wrote:Dear All,

chess is started to interest my six-year-old son recently (and as far as I see, he is a decent player for his age - today he won a gold medal at a local contest among 6-10 year old kids, and he was the youngest one). I am trying to choose the suitable coach machine for him - which dedicated unit can you recommend? The ideal candidate plays many opening variant, and has a human-like playing style. I have the following units:

Kasparov Conquistador
Kasparov Blitz
Kasparov Centurion
Radio Shack 2150L
RFT Chess Master
CXG 3000
Mephisto MM IV
Mephisto Miami
Mephisto Milano
Mephisto Milano Pro

But I am ready to buy anything else. Which machine would be the best for a pre-school aged child? Which playing strength, which mode would be the best for this purpose?

Regards,

Tibor
My advice would be...do not interest him anymore in chess
Clearly he is smart and it is a pity when a smart child is diverted from real academic stuff to chess, as so many times happens.

Fern
Festina Lente
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Fernando wrote:

Kasparov Conquistador
Kasparov Blitz
Kasparov Centurion
Radio Shack 2150L
RFT Chess Master
CXG 3000
Mephisto MM IV
Mephisto Miami
Mephisto Milano
Mephisto Milano Pro

Regards,

Tibor
Clearly he is smart and it is a pity when a smart child is diverted from real academic stuff to chess, as so many times happens.

Fern
Far better that a smart child develop a healthy interest in chess rather than video games which is what is happening far more often these days.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

SirDave wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Kasparov Conquistador
Kasparov Blitz
Kasparov Centurion
Radio Shack 2150L
RFT Chess Master
CXG 3000
Mephisto MM IV
Mephisto Miami
Mephisto Milano
Mephisto Milano Pro

Regards,

Tibor

Fern
Far better that a smart child develop a healthy interest in chess rather than video games which is what is happening far more often these days.
That's is truth, supposing nobody take cares about what the child does. Maybe I am thinking as a man that belongs to a generation when father did worry about his children activities and not simply left them to his own impulses.
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Tibor,

The RFT machines could be a good start, but I guess he will easily beat them (elo 1150). The next machine in your collection is then the Conquistador, elo (european) about 1600. He could start playing it at lower levels.
If he manages to beat that one at a reasonable level, he really is smart and will be ready for the CXG 3000 (great looking machine! elo 1660) and the Kasparov Blitz (elo 1780)

But as I just mentioned in another thread, the CXG Enterprise S and it's clones will also be a nice sparring partner (elo 1300).

Best regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Larry

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:Maybe I am thinking as a man that belongs to a generation when father did worry about his children activities and not simply left them to his own impulses.
Chess at a young age can be a plus, if kept in moderation. The danger
is that the youngster can turn into a 'chessaholic', as so many do. Yes,
he is an ok chess player, but be careful!...keep the game in it's place.
The fact that the kid is strong only increases the risk. The stronger he
gets and the more people he beats, the bigger the ego boost and the
deeper the addiction. This is all happening while other more productive
activities with a future are not getting anywhere near the attention
they need.
I'm also an older person. We grew up in a time when you waited all
week for your night of chess. It did us good. No chess computers, no
internet, no software tuition, just you and the other hackers down at
the local club.
Larry
b4xter

Post by b4xter »

Thanks for the answers. My son started to challenge the weakest machines (RFT Chess Master and Novag Dynamic S). He is defending very well against them and even can win occasionally :)