...and now, how did you get the first?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

...and now, how did you get the first?

Post by Fernando »

The topic of the X number of favorite computers always appears, as said Blincoe, from time to time, but also is always fun to look at the preferences of other members of this club.
Now let me offer another path to walk trough: how was that you did meet your first chess computer and what experiences you had with it?
No original, too, but entertaining I hope....

My first was, as with so many people, with a CC7 and if you ask me I will tell about my meeting with "him", when and where, etc.

Fern
Festina Lente
Scally

Post by Scally »

My first Chess Computer was the CC1 costing £200. The a-h and 1-8 were the wrong way round so I sent it off for an upgrade to the CC3, which was chargeable but I argued with the shop and got a free upgrade .....

What a mistake, the CC1 is worth a fortune now .....

Al.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Scally wrote:My first Chess Computer was the CC1 costing £200. The a-h and 1-8 were the wrong way round so I sent it off for an upgrade to the CC3, which was chargeable but I argued with the shop and got a free upgrade .....

What a mistake, the CC1 is worth a fortune now .....

Al.
So it is CC3...
200 pounds!!!!!
what a nerve of these gentlemen of Fidelity!
Mister Samole could well be included in the Hall of Fame of piracy.
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Somewhere in the early nineties I walked around at a jumble sales. There I saw a grey chessboard, and at a second look I recognized it as a chesscomputer. On my question if it still worked they said "No, but you can have it for 2,50". That was the price in dutch guilders, but counting inflation it equals about 2,50 euro. The manual was also there, and at a quick look my eyes fell on the paragraph about the ACL reset hole. So, at the same jumble sales I quickly bought 4 C-batteries, put them in and found something thin to put in that ACL hole. "Beep-beep"! YES IT WORKED!!
To be honest I had no high expectations of the playing strength of dedicated chesscomputers in general, as I hadn't followed the developments of them since the disappointing performance of the very first ones in the late seventies.
(So much money for such poor playing?!)
But having hardly played chess since more then 10 years, this one was a nice sparring partner for a quick game, as I did not have time for serious play.
And that was, and still is, my Tandy 1850.

Awaiting Fernando's story regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I think I have told my history before, but....
It happened in 1980, when walking along a street of downtown Santiago. I always took a look at the content of the shells of a shop fully dedicated to cameras and photography, one of my hobbies in those years. The shop, today extinct, was called "Casa Loben". To my amazement they were displaying a chess computer!!! It was the CC7 and the ad saying what you already know, it examine so many moves, lay white and black, etc.... I could not believe such a thing. So I came in and asked to be shown one of those. The employees knew me, the frequent buyer of black and white 35 mm film -I loved "Ilford" brand- and they indulged me. So I remember that, with the idea to test if the thing played decently well, I begun a game threatening him with a double attack with my cavalry and the machine answered Ok to that and I was satisfied. The shortest and more shallow tests of all the history of chess comps, you can bet!

BTW, in those years I had no money, but I get some from a friend to which I promised half time use of the contrivance -which he never asked from me, the good chap- and so I got it and a I began an infinite round of games played in the level 3 and 7, long games that -well, you know that computer- were not a marvel of chess acumen, but neither was I, not that I am today.....
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: ...and now, how did you get the first?

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote: Now let me offer another path to walk trough: how was that you did meet your first chess computer and what experiences you had with it?
No original, too, but entertaining I hope....
Yes this is a familiar question. I still remember clearly my first
chess comp experience. It was a Fidelity 8 that a friend had bought
used. He remembered me as a school chess player and insisted I
try my hand against this curiosity. After I beat it I sat there mesmerised
at the 64 field lights flashing. Soon after, I lashed out and bought
a Voice Champion, and from there a couple of others. The Novag Expert
was and still is my ultimate chess comp.
L
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
how was that you did meet your first chess computer and what experiences you had with it?
Well I was on an airplane and sitting next to me was the Fidelity CC1
I couldn't believe my eyes
a beautiful wooden contraption that could actually play chess!
We chatted a bit and after we were served dinner I couldn't resist myself any longer and I jumped all over it...
it resisted at first but I over powered it by inserting my power adapter into its socket
we have been together ever since

Donald Trump Sends His Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
how was that you did meet your first chess computer and what experiences you had with it?
Well I was on an airplane and sitting next to me was the Fidelity CC1
I couldn't believe my eyes
a beautiful wooden contraption that could actually play chess!
We chatted a bit and after we were served dinner I couldn't resist myself any longer and I jumped all over it...
it resisted at first but I over powered it by inserting my power adapter into its socket
we have been together ever since

Donald Trump Sends His Regards
Steve
hahahah good one........
Festina Lente
steffen

Post by steffen »

My first one was Novag's Chess Champion MK I
It did cost 229 Deutschmarks. Small discount from originally 249 for me being a pupil.
I played a tournament with the MK I and four friends, so 10 rounds.
After 8 rounds I led with 8/8, the 2nd had 6/8. Then the MK I beat me in round 7, the 2nd challenged me straight after and I lost that match, too.
So the MK I had cost me the single win of the tournament ;-)

After that I acquired the Sargon MGS with openings and endings module. I loved that one a lot - and still do.

Steffen
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

steffen wrote:My first one was Novag's Chess Champion MK I
It did cost 229 Deutschmarks. Small discount from originally 249 for me being a pupil.
I played a tournament with the MK I and four friends, so 10 rounds.
After 8 rounds I led with 8/8, the 2nd had 6/8. Then the MK I beat me in round 7, the 2nd challenged me straight after and I lost that match, too.
So the MK I had cost me the single win of the tournament ;-)

After that I acquired the Sargon MGS with openings and endings module. I loved that one a lot - and still do.

Steffen
That was my 1st one as well!. I saved up money from my morning job of delivering newspapers before school. It was either £79.99 or £89.99 I am not sure which.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

My first one i saw it in a shopping center, it was a Fidelity mini sensory chess challenger, i still remember that was in the year 1985 in august, i really enjoy that machine, 3 years later i got the designer 2100 in november which i still have.

Trip down memory lane regards
Ricardo
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

end of the 70th and in the beginning 80th I played a lot with my best human friend - during school and study times there always was a opportunity to play chess - no chance for chess computers...

When the job started - time is money - there was almost no chance to meet my best friend. So what to do? Look for a chess computer in the department stores...

I found a Mephisto Mondial 68000 XL; it wasn't that expensive, Elo was acceptable and you could run it with batteries...

This was the first but not the only one - a huge love affair started....

Waiting for "Square Off" regards,
Michael
Alain

Post by Alain »

First one was a CC7 in December 1980.
There were not many computers for sale in France, we had to drive 100Km to be able to buy it.

I really loved playing against it, mostly against level 2 or 3 as others where really to slow.

Alain
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

It was holiday season in 1979. Being a student at the time and only working part-time for meager wages, I was not in the market for or expecting to own a chess computer back then. As it turned out, the Fidelity CC7 unit came as a total surprise, and was part of a large, very generous compensation package from a well-to-do childhood friend that set his sights on an heirloom in my possession.

That night I carefully unpacked the hi-tech marvel and read through the operating manual. The long algebraic notation employed by the interface seemed odd to me, as all of my chess literature used the early descriptive notation. Once acclimated, I played my first test game on level 1. I was absolutely delighted by the way the 7-segment-display panel would strobe as the machine was “thinking,” and how it reacted to my moves as would a human opponent. Up to this point, I had spent many long hours on the telephone playing untimed chess with distant opponents, and a hard fought victory came at the price of a very sore ear.

Once the novelty factor had worn off, however, my initial delight with the CC7 unit was very short-lived, as its play seemed vapid, based solely on short-term material gain, and increasing the playing level produced only minimal improvement in overall play. In order to maintain my interest in playing with the unit, I was forced to play intentionally very unsound openings or hang a piece early on. While far from serving as the substitute for human opponents I had been hoping for, the CC7 unit allowed me to strengthen my game by fighting from deficit positions, and was a great source of entertainment for my guests.

By late 1980 I had become jaded and decided to test the machine on its 24hr/move level. Every morning before setting out to work I would make a move – allowing the machine a full 24 hours to crunch away. We had an interesting French Defense going, and I could really feel an improvement in the machine’s playing strength thus far, when one day I awoke to find – to my sheer horror – that the display was dark and the unit was unresponsive. I didn’t know it at the time, but the NEC microprocessor had burned out. :x

Bittersweet Default Victory Regards,
John
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Cyberchess wrote:
one day I awoke to find – to my sheer horror – that the display was dark and the unit was unresponsive. I didn’t know it at the time, but the NEC microprocessor had burned out. :x

Bittersweet Default Victory Regards,
John
lol
Great Story John
Better To Fade Away Then Resign Regards
Steve