Goodbye Chessbase

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
chesspcmac

Goodbye Chessbase

Post by chesspcmac »

Chessbase now is coming up with a new version chessbase 14 but Im sick and tired of Chessbase with their protection schemes and nothing ever works well. I bought Komodo and it's having problems with activation. I have cb12 dont use it a lot, it works well for a while and then crashes. I bought - downloaded Capablanca master series and I installed it and the videos dont play on CB12 but they play on CB reader but cant see the moves on the board and there are letters telling me that is protected. I just updated it and now it is not working. Every time I called Chessbase they are nice giving me extra installs but nothing ever works well. Try to play with a DGT board and is not reliable. Just FIX your program before coming up with new versions. Work on a MAC version. Stop with your new versions and security features.
Microsoft Word, Diablo, call of duty they are reliable. They crash but only once in a while but chessbase with their protection schemes ruin the whole experience. I started buying programs from chessbase to support the industry but I'm Going back to my WAREZ chessbase products and chessbase 9. I'm not buying chessbase products anymore. Anybody feels the same? I cant be the only one.

Feeling ripped off regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Goodbye Chessbase

Post by Fernando »

chesspcmac wrote:Chessbase now is coming up with a new version chessbase 14 but Im sick and tired of Chessbase with their protection schemes and nothing ever works well. I bought Komodo and it's having problems with activation. I have cb12 dont use it a lot, it works well for a while and then crashes. I bought - downloaded Capablanca master series and I installed it and the videos dont play on CB12 but they play on CB reader but cant see the moves on the board and there are letters telling me that is protected. I just updated it and now it is not working. Every time I called Chessbase they are nice giving me extra installs but nothing ever works well. Try to play with a DGT board and is not reliable. Just FIX your program before coming up with new versions. Work on a MAC version. Stop with your new versions and security features.
Microsoft Word, Diablo, call of duty they are reliable. They crash but only once in a while but chessbase with their protection schemes ruin the whole experience. I started buying programs from chessbase to support the industry but I'm Going back to my WAREZ chessbase products and chessbase 9. I'm not buying chessbase products anymore. Anybody feels the same? I cant be the only one.

Mike
I have never had a problem, but I have never bought a database, just programs. In this area all is smooth. Perhaps you should take a look at the cha nce something is wrong wit your comp and/or the OS.
Festina Lente
royb

Re: Goodbye Chessbase

Post by royb »

chesspcmac wrote:Chessbase now is coming up with a new version chessbase 14 but Im sick and tired of Chessbase with their protection schemes and nothing ever works well. I bought Komodo and it's having problems with activation. I have cb12 dont use it a lot, it works well for a while and then crashes. I bought - downloaded Capablanca master series and I installed it and the videos dont play on CB12 but they play on CB reader but cant see the moves on the board and there are letters telling me that is protected. I just updated it and now it is not working. Every time I called Chessbase they are nice giving me extra installs but nothing ever works well. Try to play with a DGT board and is not reliable. Just FIX your program before coming up with new versions. Work on a MAC version. Stop with your new versions and security features.

Mike
I use SCID now and it's just a better experience all around. I gave up on Chessbase for some of the same reasons you cited, and the effort required to learn SCID was well worth it. I can install virtually any engines I want and the database is crazy fast (more than 2 million games in the database and it takes less than a second to do a search on a position to find the games in the database that contain that position).

There are youtube videos also with tutorial info about SCID to help you learn it, though those did not exist when I learned SCID years ago.

And, SCID is free of course.
Dave C

Chessbase 14 vs. Chess Assistant 17?

Post by Dave C »

chesspcmac wrote:Chessbase now is coming up with a new version chessbase 14 but Im sick and tired of Chessbase with their protection schemes and nothing ever works well...

Mike
I am thinking about buying a chess database for my PC along with a chess playing program (Hiarcs is a given, but how about Fritz, Houdini, or ?).

For the database - choices may include Chessbase and Chess Assistant. I read through Mike's comments which makes me want to avoid Chessbase. Protection schemes are such a pain in the neck I do not want to have a program with those "protections". Does Chess Assistant have these same schemes? Is it as good as or better than Chessbase? If both of these programs have protection schemes, are there other choices?

What are the opinions of folks on the forum? What have you experienced with these programs? Also, which chess program?

Many thanks,
Dave
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

I don't know about CB14 as I am still using CB12. Never had a problem with CB other than the occasional gripe in the past about its cost.

Since all my computer tourneys and game databases are in CB, I honestly wouldn't know what to do if I had to start this all over again with a different program.

I also like its analysis as I follow a computer game and follow the openings which I compare and glance against the human database while the chess computers are playing their moves. I have always found this tool very useful when a computer is out of book and seeing how many humans have played that computer move in their matches and their results.

So overall it remains my program of choice followed only with Arena for when I want to do some deep analysis. For that I prefer Arena.

But hey that's the beauty of having so many options and choices, everyone can have a preference on what they like best.

All these choices beat the old DOS PGN viewer :)

Best regards
Nick
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

I have settle for CB9, it has all the features I need. You Can get it for cheap on ebay or some other dark places. The cloud engines, databases and all other features are nice but not worth it for all the security features and crashes. At the end you can go to some indian, Russian or chinese website and find all the programs are cracked and free. Of course they crashed all the time BUT they are free.
I have a bunch of chessbase programs and Im just tired of Chessbase always crashing due to the security features.
Things I would like to see is chessbase for Apple compatible with DGT boards and of course an ARM robot to connect to my computer and dgt board. I thought few guys here were working on that. Ifecali, Rudd...

My two cents regards

mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
rlm

Post by rlm »

Replying to Dave C's post:

I'm new to all this, working out which of the many products to go for, so I'm interested that you felt you needed ChessBase or Chess Assistant as well as HIARCS back in February.

Isn't HIARCS a good chess database as well as an engine?

What did you go for in the end?

Thanks,
Richard
vonderlasa

Goodbye electronic medical records

Post by vonderlasa »

I have not had the problems you relate, and have been able to communicate and get glitches foxed quickly by excellent cutomer service.
If you want buggy programs, arrogant vendors, and high costs (~$20,000 rental per doctor per year), try struggling with an electronic medical record. There is a line in an old rugby song, "It's no *****'g good to anyone, no *****'g good at all."
jarek

Post by jarek »

chesspcmac wrote:I have settle for CB9, it has all the features I need.
Hi Mike,

on what Windows version are you running CB 9?
Windows 7 32 bit?
Windows XP?

thanks!
jarek
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Hi jarek, I use windows xp and windows 7. Lately I have Chessbase 's service is not bad but Im tired of their Install BS. Activate this, activate that and the problem with activation continues. This has happened in multiple platforms win 7, win 10 etc. In good computers DELL, Toshiba, Sony. Activation is a pain in the ass. I understand that chessbase has to protect against piracy but I also have to protect my $100 dollars of investment.

Just my thoughts regards

Mike

Henry Thomas Buckle
qortahelots

inspiration

Post by qortahelots »

One of the best design details of the Tag Heuer SLR is that even though it is a very complex and modern super car inspired watch, it has a very clean dial that is beautifully complemented by a sapphire crystal. When you look at the watch, the first thing you notice is that it has a very easy to read dial layout that feels like the basic inspiration for the latest Carrera Calibre 1887 models.