New 'Wood' machine from MILLENNIUM

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
steffen

Post by steffen »

Okay, I made the BT-2630 position tests for the Millennium Chess Genius EXCLUSIVE.

The result is an ELO of 2391.

BT 2630 Millennium Chess Genius EXCLUSIVE

Test Seconds
number
1 10
2 15
3 35
4 10
5 10
6 1
7 1
8 6
9 900
10 1
11 1
12 3
13 187
14 1
15 61
16 900
17 3
18 5
19 9
20 10
21 900
22 10
23 900
24 900
25 82
26 900
27 1
28 376
29 900
30 39
Total time 7177

ELO 2391
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

franco88 wrote:I was able to play a quick few games with the MCGE. Everyone will have their own opinion and that is the nice thing about our hobby. They are selling the MCGE now on eBay for $749 already.
The piece recognition feature is convenient and outstanding. Seeing the board close up I feel it is well made. The pieces remind me largely of the Novag wooden pieces. However, these have the piece recognition technology inside. The games against other computers have been recently chronicled expertly by Steffen and others. The initial impression is that it is over 2400 ELO at classic and active times.
I played some quick games where the MCGE never used any time at all. Maybe one second for a 40 move game with permanent brain turned off. Today, I want to link to my PC. If I can figure this out, then this should be easily accessible to our technologically advanced members. I believe in comparison that the TASC computers were slightly more elegant, especially for their time. Nowadays, the much more expensive Revelation is still the gold standard in looks and play for me. The Pewatronic board is very nice but with a very small screen, as pointed out by Dave. This MCGE is overall a very fun game to play and will challenge all but the highest rated titled players. Especially for the price, I think one can enjoy this computer and coming engine upgrades for many years to come.
Hi Franco,
Thanks for the excellent summary of your first impressions. Well done.

Dave
BishopBlougram

Post by BishopBlougram »

I received my unit Friday, and finally had some chance to test it today. My first impressions are very favorable; the build quality is good, the display is excellent, as is the move and piece recognition.

What about playing strength? We know that it has proved its mettle against other computers, but what about humans? In a small and not very representative sample, I have played 8 blitz games. I won 1, drew 3 and lost 4 (I'm 1930 USCF). Even though it is using the same engine as the Pro, the speed boost makes for a much stronger opponent. Against the Pro I could often get away with crazy (and objectively incorrect) sacrifical play. Not so against the Exclusive. Its biggest weakness is the positional evaluation; it sometimes plays weakening pawn moves, and seems to undervalue the opponent's king side attacks. In openings where you, for example. are allowed to expand and launch a pawn storm (e.g. the King's Indian) it sometimes doesn't know what hit it until it's too late.

Don't get me wrong. I love playing it, and the fact that you, with careful planning, stand a chance is one of the unique selling points of the computer. It would definitely not be 2,400 ELO against human opposition (IM Roman Vidonyak crushed it 2.5-0.5 in three rapid games: http://forum.topschach.de/chess-genius- ... t1125.html) but perhaps 2,200-2,250 and that's good enough for me.

I also like the fact that the system is modular. The CPU unit can be upgraded and replaced. Hopefully we'll see more engines soon.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Refreshing to see so many folks interested in dedicated chess computers again
it was not so long ago when a new computer came on the market and not many even noticed or cared
(the Novag 2Robot comes to mind...even the Novag Citrine caused none of the excitement we see today)

now we have new computers being pre-tested...post tested..entered in tournaments and Titled Fide Masters playing matches with them
there is probably a team of hackers already busy at work modifying the MCGE

perhaps the dedicated chess computer will once again regain its rightful place as the leader in Computer chess over the PC Engine

Whom I kidding Regards
Steve
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote:Refreshing to see so many folks interested in dedicated chess computers again
it was not so long ago when a new computer came on the market and not many even noticed or cared
(the Novag 2Robot comes to mind...
More toy than chess computer; error-prone (ErrArm....) and weak....
Steve B wrote: even the Novag Citrine caused none of the excitement we see today)
Wooden but strange handling and small chess pieces; strange defeat order

By the way, I have both.... :wink:
Steve B wrote: now we have new computers being pre-tested...post tested..entered in tournaments and Titled Fide Masters playing matches with them
Wooden and with piece recognition for a really fair price; strong chess engine...like a sunrise
Steve B wrote: perhaps the dedicated chess computer will once again regain its rightful place as the leader in Computer chess over the PC Engine

Whom I kidding Regards
Steve
You are kidding - that's not possible any more - we are a starving race....

Feeling near to the end and not knowing what to do with my collection regards, Michael
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

blaubaer wrote:
Feeling near to the end and not knowing what to do with my collection regards, Michael
Sell your London 030 first Mike
3 draws and no wins in 11 games

Disgraceful Regards
Steve
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Nice to see so much enthusiasm! I don't believe we're a dying breed, based on the interest my much younger co-workers have shown. The problem seems to be that they think all the new plastic units are really cheap toys and until recently nicer alternatives did not exist, at least not here in the U.S. (I bought most of my nicer units from Europe.)

One question regarding the Millennium (mine has not yet shipped; my hopes of its arrival before my vacation ends are fading fast) : Does it have extra queens or wildcard pieces for pawn promotion?

Unfulfilled Regards.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello Jeff ,

Yes it comes with 2 extra queens 1 for each side

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
BishopBlougram

Post by BishopBlougram »

It comes with extra queens. Not sure how you would deal with underpromotion in the opening, though. While that's exceedingly rare, I would avoid playing the Albin Counter Gambit as black. :)
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Thanks for the info! I just learned that my computer has shipped and will arrive Wednesday, so I get the weekend to see how many times it can beat me before I put it on an easy level. :lol:

Underpromotion could be tricky! Not sure I've ever played a game where I had three of the same kind of minor pieces or three rooks, though it could be interesting to see happen. (Not sure there's ever a cause to underpromote to a rook!)

The only time I'd likely underpromote is if the underpromotion directly results in checkmate or forking the enemy king and queen or rook. So here's hoping I don't fight my best game against it, only to have to forfeit because I can't underpromote! (I know, it's a computer, not a real tournament opponent, so there's no forfeiture. Just having fun with the thought...)

e8=N++ Regards,
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Schachspieler

Post by Schachspieler »

Steve B wrote:Refreshing to see so many folks interested in dedicated chess computers again
(the Novag 2Robot comes to mind...even the Novag Citrine caused none of the excitement we see today)

now we have new computers being pre-tested...post tested..entered in tournaments and Titled Fide Masters playing matches with them

perhaps the dedicated chess computer will once again regain its rightful place as the leader in Computer chess over the PC Engine

Whom I kidding Regards
Steve
There will be one hack available very soon.
Schachspieler

Post by Schachspieler »

Whom I kidding Regards
Steve
There will be a great hack very soon for free:

here: https://www.topschach.de/chessgenius-ex ... anguage=en
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Interesting Factoids for the MCGE:

Only the 5th dedicated chess computer released for sale with a piece recognition board

Only the 5th dedicated chess compute released for sale to have a detached Display unit connected to the playing board by cable

And only the 3rd dedicated chess computer released for sale to have both features

Destined To Make History Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:Interesting Factoids for the MCGE:

Only the 5th dedicated chess computer released for sale with a piece recognition board

Only the 5th dedicated chess compute released for sale to have a detached Display unit connected to the playing board by cable

And only the 3rd dedicated chess computer released for sale to have both features

Steve
And who would have thought 3 years ago that we would be talking about Millennium as we are now :P
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:Interesting Factoids for the MCGE:

Steve
And who would have thought 3 years ago that we would be talking about Millennium as we are now :P
Yes
less then two years ago i owned one Millennium computer
just to be able to say i had one from them
now...my last four acquisitions have been Millenniums
Go Figure Regards
Steve