New 'Wood' machine from MILLENNIUM

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Scally

Post by Scally »

spacious_mind wrote:Yesterday's exchange rates were as follows:

USA Cost = USD 604.00 = GBP 467.11 = Euro 538.87
Topschach.de = Euro 598.00 = GBP 518.42 = $670.27
UK Price = GBP 749.00 = Euro 863.98 = $968

Best regards

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the breakdown, very interesting.

So the guy selling a few of them on eBay at $599 plus $90 postage, seems more of a bargain now. Unfortunately if I order today, the delivery will be whilst I'm on a cruise. I will have a re-think when I'm back from my cruise.

Thanks again,

Al.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Scally wrote:

Best regards

Hi Nick,

So the guy selling a few of them on eBay at $599 plus $90 postage, seems more of a bargain now. Unfortunately if I order today, the delivery will be whilst I'm on a cruise. I will have a re-think when I'm back from my cruise.

Thanks again,

Al.
I think your best deal is to buy from Topschach keep your tax receipt (19%) and see if you can claim it back against taxes that you paid (20% UK tax) that way you don't pay taxes twice. Assuming that you can do it in the UK.

Best regards
Nick
donkeylane

Post by donkeylane »

I don't know what Al paid for his Rev 2 ,but I presume he got it from the London shop.I bought mine in November 2015,I did beforehand look at the prices on the DGT website and did a quick estimation of the price converted from Euros into pounds.When I contacted the London shop for their price,they quoted me £2700 ,I erroneously assumed at this price the emulations were included,my mistake,when I got home and attempted to load an emulation,nothing.I contacted the London shop,and they said the emulations were several hundred pounds more.When I mentioned the price in Euros on the DGT website,their answer was they set their own prices.So I forked out for the emulations.So from that experience their profit margins are greater.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

blaubaer wrote:Hi Steve and all,

when you are on that topschach.de site anyway, look at the third item under "Schachcomputer" the "ChessGenius Exclusive DGT Brett Emulator" - that's an emulator, which communicates over the DGT rabbit plugin with all chess programs which support a DGT board (Chessbase, Fritz etc). It will have LED support.

But: They will give this software for free to their MCGExclusive customers only...

Available from August 15th on.

Regards, Michael
Thanks Michael
for me this sort of thing is of no interest
connecting to a PC is the last thing i want to do with a dedicated chess computer
even with the Rev ll.. i tried the "Eboard" option just once to see if was working and i quickly turned it off
i do realize that some folks like this sort of thing but for me it is..

Verbotin Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

spacious_mind wrote:
Scally wrote:

Best regards

Hi Nick,

Thanks again,

Al.
I think your best deal is to buy from Topschach keep your tax receipt (19%) and see if you can claim it back against taxes that you paid (20% UK tax) that way you don't pay taxes twice. Assuming that you can do it in the UK.

Best regards
PS...What I mean by that is that Topschach should be able to sell it to you without tax since it is an export which would mean:

Euro 598.00 minus 19% = Euro 502.52 plus shipping @ 30 Euro = Euro 532.52

That would mean you pay GBP 461.65 + 20% VAT = GBP 553.98 Total

USA would be $599.00 + 90 = $689.00 = GBP 532.84 + 20% VAT = GBP 639.40,

So potentially you would save about GBP 80.00 over the USA Ebay offer if you can get Topschach to sell it to you without the German sales tax.

Best regards
Nick
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Steve,

as I know your deep dedication to dedicated chess computer, your answer was quite clear to me... 8)

I like this kind of "open systems" where we all can find our preferences.This is like christmas in springtime, although I still do not have the MCGE in my hands.

Regards Michael
steffen

Post by steffen »

Steve B wrote:
steffen wrote:
(Result of test 3 corrected: 8 seconds instead of 35 seconds; ELO 2392 instead of 2391)
Hi Steffen
as you know the MCGE has two books...
the manual states they are Classic(London book) and Master...
the box also states two books... Classic book(57k positions) and Master (300k positions)
but the computer shows Classic and Champion as the two book options
i guess printing error's on the box and in the manual?

do you know if either of these books ( Master or Champion ) is also a Hiarcs book as in the ChessGenius Pro?

Scrutinizing Everything Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,
yes, it's a printing error.
Champion = Master book with 300,000 positions. It is supposed to be the Hiarcs book.
The Master book of the MCG Pro has only got 100,000 positions.
Steffen
steffen

Post by steffen »

Dave C wrote:
Steve B wrote:Seems the computer does not show the search depth(8 ply...9 ply...etc..etc)
it will show the total possible moves and the current move it is considering(18/34 for example) but not the depth

an odd thing to leave out in the Info display

Depth Defying Regards
Steve
Seems the computer does not display the number of moves examined by the CPU. I really do enjoy that feature from the TASC.
Maybe Millennium could add a running move counter to the display in a future update?

The more moves examined, the merrier....regards,
Dave
The current move number is shown on the bottom left of the display.
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Steve B wrote: i used a piece from the Rev II,Tasc and Bavaria piece sets just to see if they would work with the MCGE...No Go

Spare Tire Regards
Steve
Steve,

Do you know if the MCGE uses an LC tuned circuit, or some other technology for piece recognition? Perhaps the LC concept would violate the DGT patents?

I vote that you take one for the team and get out the hacksaw to perform some exploratory surgery! :D

Greg
Scally

Post by Scally »

spacious_mind wrote:I think your best deal is to buy from Topschach keep your tax receipt (19%) and see if you can claim it back against taxes that you paid (20% UK tax) that way you don't pay taxes twice. Assuming that you can do it in the UK.

Best regards
Thanks Nick, I'll have a look when I'm back from my cruise in mid June.

Al.
donkeylane wrote:I don't know what Al paid for his Rev 2 ,but I presume he got it from the London shop.I bought mine in November 2015,I did beforehand look at the prices on the DGT website and did a quick estimation of the price converted from Euros into pounds.
Hi, I bought my Rev2 including all emulations and a set of S2 WB DGT Chess Pieces from Best Chessmen Ever, 2nd hand last July for €3250. It has a low Ruud serial of 010005 and cost me an extra €50 to get the boot name changed to mine.

Al.
Schachspieler

Post by Schachspieler »

spacious_mind wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Scally wrote:

Hi Nick,

Thanks again,

Al.

Best regards
PS...What I mean by that is that Topschach should be able to sell it to you without tax since it is an export which would mean:

Euro 598.00 minus 19% = Euro 502.52 plus shipping @ 30 Euro = Euro 532.52

That would mean you pay GBP 461.65 + 20% VAT = GBP 553.98 Total

USA would be $599.00 + 90 = $689.00 = GBP 532.84 + 20% VAT = GBP 639.40,

So potentially you would save about GBP 80.00 over the USA Ebay offer if you can get Topschach to sell it to you without the German sales tax.

Best regards
There are worldwide no shipping-costs at Topschach, if the order is higher than 50,-€.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

fourthirty wrote:
Steve B wrote: i used a piece from the Rev II,Tasc and Bavaria piece sets just to see if they would work with the MCGE...No Go

Spare Tire Regards
Steve
Steve,

Do you know if the MCGE uses an LC tuned circuit, or some other technology for piece recognition? Perhaps the LC concept would violate the DGT patents?

I vote that you take one for the team and get out the hacksaw to perform some exploratory surgery! :D

Greg
Hi Greg
i have absolutely

No Idea Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Fri May 26, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

steffen wrote: Hi Steve,
yes, it's a printing error.
Champion = Master book with 300,000 positions. It is supposed to be the Hiarcs book.
The Master book of the MCG Pro has only got 100,000 positions.
Steffen
Thanks Steffen

MCGE Expert Regards
Steve
Dave C

Positions examined during the computer's turn.

Post by Dave C »

steffen wrote:The current move number is shown on the bottom left of the display.
Hi Steffen,

Thank you for the response. I was not very clear with my question. What I am talking about is the info provided on the TASC screen in the lower right hand corner: "Pos". The number that follows POS on the screen is the number of positions examined during the TASC's turn. It examines about 3,400 positions per second and adds these up continuously during TASC's turn. If it thinks for a full minute the number is in the hundreds of thousands of positions examined.

I would really like to see Millennium add that feature to the Exclusive's info screen.

Thanks,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Positions examined during the computer's turn.

Post by Steve B »

Dave C wrote:
It examines about 3,400 positions per second and adds these up continuously during TASC's turn.
In Computer Chess Parlance its called ..NPS
Nodes Per Second
some computers just show the nodes examined each second and do not tally up the total nodes
some computers show the total cumulative nodes searched as the seconds go by and you have to do some math(subtraction) to figure out how many were searched each second

Higher Mathematics Regards
Steve