HIARCS learning question

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Eelco de Groot

HIARCS learning question

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Hello HIARCS support,

I had a question about HIARCS' learning file. I was analyzing the game between Cluster TOGA and Rybka in Paderborn and using Hiarcs 11.2 SP for a while. I had not made much use of position learning yet and usually if I feel like testing some of the engine options for HIARCS I make a new engine file in the Shredder 9 UCI interface for HIARCS that does not use position learning. But this time I had left everything in the default settings and the AutoSave.pgn also states that position learning was on. I can't however see any changes in the Hiarcs11.2SP.lrn file. The size of it has remained constant at exactly 100 bytes. Is it possible that Hiarcs could not find its learning file or does learning not take place during analysis but only in games? Should I see regular writes to this file or have I not set it up right maybe?

Thanks for any answers!
Regards, Eelco
Careful! Even moonlit dewdrops,
If you’re lured to watch,
Are a wall before the truth.

- Sogyo (18th century)
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

It has been said that the small cap on the upper limit of the size of the Hiarcs learning file, in this case 100 kB, renders them relatively ineffective for this engine. Of course, the maximum size could be raised to unlimited...

I have never actually gotten much use out of it--it doesn't work half the time, anyway. Now that I'm getting used to it, Spike's is far superior.
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

Now that I'm getting used to it, Spike's is far superior.
That's interesting; it seems Spike just dumps a new entry in the file every time it stops searching. The authors weren't kidding when they described it as 'plain'. 8)
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: HIARCS learning question

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Eelco de Groot wrote:Hello HIARCS support,

I had a question about HIARCS' learning file. I was analyzing the game between Cluster TOGA and Rybka in Paderborn and using Hiarcs 11.2 SP for a while. I had not made much use of position learning yet and usually if I feel like testing some of the engine options for HIARCS I make a new engine file in the Shredder 9 UCI interface for HIARCS that does not use position learning. But this time I had left everything in the default settings and the AutoSave.pgn also states that position learning was on. I can't however see any changes in the Hiarcs11.2SP.lrn file. The size of it has remained constant at exactly 100 bytes. Is it possible that Hiarcs could not find its learning file or does learning not take place during analysis but only in games? Should I see regular writes to this file or have I not set it up right maybe?

Thanks for any answers!
Regards, Eelco
Hi Eelco,

The learning file must be in the same folder as the .exe and this is where the engine will create it.

You should see regular writes to the file. If you want more technical details of how it works send Mark an email.

Best Wishes,

Harvey