Fidelity EAG 2265 (update)

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Dave S

Fidelity EAG 2265 (update)

Post by Dave S »

To the Chess Community,

I want to first give a big “thanks” to the chess community and everyone who replied to my EAG 2265 inquiry. I have fixed the board entirely. After testing…about 15 bad reed switches, and I also had the (11) side contacts thoroughly cleaned as the excellent French tutorial referenced. As I stated in the earlier post, I bought this board new approx 1988-89 (original owner from Fidelity), and am preparing to hand it down to my nephew. Whether French, English – it all helped. Thank-you everyone.

I’ve noticed that you all are a fun bunch of folks – very witty indeed...lol! Your posts and sense of humor (similar to mine) crack me up. I do intend to keep monitoring this website; although I have to sharpen my skills before I can participate in banter or get baited toward a beat-down in chess.

Second, I have to give a special, “shout-out” to Steve B. Through a few PM’s, he totally guided me toward everything. Not a surprise to anyone I’m sure. As I mentioned to Steve, I knew a fella here in WI who is practically a “master solderer.” Steve was kind enough to counsel me and give me reed switch specs, spec sheets, and directed me toward where I could buy the highest quality switches at the best price. Steve literally put the hardware in my cross-hairs and with his help it was in my lap in no time!!! I’m sort of glad he promoted things the way he did. As I’m the original owner and am trying to turn this into some kind of an heirloom for a 10 year-old, I’m just happy he sort of has been shoving ME like a kid on training-wheels. I almost feel like he wanted me to know what it takes to fix today’s problems as an original (yesterday) owner…lol.

Third, I would be remiss if I didn’t give a shout-out to the guy who did the soldering. I was hoping he wasn’t retired yet (as the last time I talked to him was 10 years ago), and he during a phone conversation a couple days ago agreed to take the job. He’s a local guy here in WI, and I had him replace all 64 switches for good measure. Yes, all 64. I dropped it off Sat (yesterday) morning at 9:30. He had all 64 replaced in just a few hours. Little more. I picked it up at 12:45. His name is Brian K. and if any one needs serious soldering – he’s the man. His contact info follows:

briank@nsxe-repair.com

Finally, I’ve got a few (updated) pics to the completely repaired board. The pics just pretty much show all the new reed switches, front and back of the 2 pcb’s which reed switches are situated, etc…link below:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskNpLMNp

In closing, there are only a few things that I would still like to acquire. If you know (anyone knows) where I can find any of this stuff, please reply or PM me with any info or maybe any suggestions to other sites where I might be able to place a wanted ad.

1. I need to purchase an original owner’s manual for the board. Preferably original. Second choice re-pop (maybe with color cover & binding). Third choice PDF.

2. I need to purchase (9) nine button-tops for the side contacts. I have (2) two. But tonight, I took the 2 that still exist and removed them so as to make things overall look more uniform. Make sense? I’d sure like to have all eleven of them and put everything back to normal though. If I can’t find these, it’s no big deal.

3. Memory. Ideally I’d like to upgrade memory. I have four slots. And in the center two slots I only have 64K for a total of 128K DRAM. I’ve believe I can upgrade to possible 1024 (equivalent to 6114-4)? I’d like to find qty (4) 256K. Since I’m passing this on…cost is no object to me. I’d like to fill up these slots at any expense. I just want to do everything I can do now, and maximize it while I still remember how to take this thing apart and put it together. If you know anyone that has this memory...name your price!!!

Finally, I want to finish where I began. Thank you all so, so very much. I really appreciate all the input. From all over the world really. I love chess. I only played 5 games yesterday before this writing after assembly. Not good so far though. As I mentioned previously, I have a love-hate relationship with this board. It’s music to my ears though to hear and see it move again. This board will not leave here without experiencing some losses, however.

Thank you all, and I wish you all Peace, Love & Sincere Holiday Wishes, & a Merry Christmas!!!

-Dave :)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Hi Dave

im glad it all went well

Happy Festivus Regards
Steve
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Merry X-Mas to you Steve...you're the man!!! Thanks, -Dave!!!
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Steve B wrote:Hi Dave

im glad it all went well

Happy Festivus Regards
Steve
Indeed!

It reads like someone is caught by a touch of Chess computer collector fever. I must stress it, Dave: Try not to look on the offers on ebay, before you know it you'll start bidding and you'll end up like Steve...

Tell your nephew to wear gloves while playing regards

Xavier
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Xavier,

Well, since I don't have kids I am wondering what it will be like to ship the re-kindled away?. Last night, it was like kissing or nailing...ahhh...who cares.

Yes, I must not look after this is gone. You are correct, sir. I will try to forget.

I will never be Steve if I caved and lived three lifetimes. Nephew will grow to be stealth. I just gotta play 50 more games before it's...

Out the door :)
-Dave
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Dave S wrote: since I don't have kids I am wondering what it will be like to ship the re-kindled away?.
Ooops. This is a bad sign, not good, Dave. You'll be hurting... I know that feeling, been there, as does everybody here...

Well, welcome to the club, I guess.

Xavier
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dave S wrote: Well, since I don't have kids I am wondering what it will be like to ship the re-kindled away?. Last night, it was like kissing or nailing...ahhh...who cares.
Nephew will grow to be stealth. I just gotta play 50 more games before
Might want to rethink this whole"Nephew" gift idea Dave
that V2 is an Iconic chess computer
Collectors would kill for one with all of the Reeds replaced
could last another 30-40 years

i remember years ago i gave my Nephew a nice wooden Scisys Astral
Brand Spanking new ..in the box
this was when you could buy them in the store(i also have no kids)
Today....he doesn't even remember i gave it to him nor what he did with it
in fact i dont think he even remembers who i am

l tell you.. get him something he will probably appreciate more like a Smart Phone 9 or 10 or whatever number its up too

Leave The Smart Phone and take the Canoles Regards
Steve
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

Steve B wrote: Today....he doesn't even remember i gave it to him nor what he did with it
in fact i dont think he even remembers who i am

l tell you.. get him something he will probably appreciate more like a Smart Phone 9 or 10 or whatever number its up too

Leave The Smart Phone and take the Canoles Regards
Steve
Being a parent I'll tell you what your nephew's parents did with that Astral once you left: They put it up on ebay, for fear their son might end up like his uncle... Hell you probably snatched it off yourself on ebay, Steve...

Smart idea however, about giving a Phone.... Consider giving your Phone, as well as everything that can connect you to the Net, Dave, then chain yourself to your bed.

Might do the trick... You could starve to death too...

Desperate measures regards

Xavier
dedicate computers

buttons and memories

Post by dedicate computers »

Hello
About the memories and buttons, I would like to know which store you understand that could find these components?
Regards
Oswaldo
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Jeepers Guys - you all are too funny! Let's see...yes, I don't imagine memory or button-tops are going to be on Amazon...but I'm hoping to find a PDF manual to ship with this dang thing. I think I might have saw some references...I just have to look deeper into the posts you all place in front of me that really embodies and promotes the future of "everything chess." These last few days have been a bit busy with a little snow & cold weather.

Here's where you all might laugh and tease me. This is going to get to my nephew late. My goal now is January 6th. I had to box up the wish-list of modern day garbage "smart gifts (or similar)," and ship them off yesterday so as to make it there by X-Mas. As it worked out, my niece is getting a 2-1 gift ratio to my nephew, so she should not be upset when he receives an unexpected New-Years item. Her parents can make sure it’s a non-issue…she won’t even notice. I can't wait till I post a picture of him with the board. I will post, and I guarantee he will have a big smile :)

Above all things, I'm a man of my word. Period. He’s a clever boy, and his folks are top-tier. They don’t design, and as a result I couldn't either. I can only hope he continues with an interest. Much like we all might have? Or his kids might…lol…who knows. I do understand, however, these kids can get into nonsense in a hurry. But, he's all but got this board and I hope his parents tell him it's a nice gift (even if it's used).

It sure would be fun to re-live this after the shipment is gone. Maybe get a different other model for me? Who knows. Steve could provide the Smithsonian with a good record of collection and physical examples of sixteen-thousand models. This, while I might be good fixing-up & playing only a slightly better model of what I gifted.

Thanks again everyone,

Merry X-Mas, Happy Holidays, and a Great Festivus for NY folks!!!
Will be hanging around…I guess!!!

I appreciate the humor and the Sport,

-Dave.