The Blitz - unrealized potential

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Dave C

The Blitz - unrealized potential

Post by Dave C »

Late last year I purchased a Saitek Kasparov Blitz chess computer. Blitz are not often available for sale. I was excited about adding a plastic auto-sensory board to my slowly growing collection. Saitek invested considerable time and effort into making something a little different. There are no buttons. All inputs are made through two wheels on the right side of the board. It has an LCD screen that shows game info such as moves, evaluation, plys, anticipated moves, etc. It also has a different type of auto sensing system that does not use magnets. Very innovative and cool.

I've started a competition between a few chess computers and the Blitz is not doing well. In tonight's match against a Saitek Cougar it made it to a Rook and three pawn end game but made at least two obvious mistakes with pawns that gave the game away to the Cougar.

It also lost while playing games as white and black against a Fidelity Mach III, Corona, and, not unexpectedly, the TASC 2.5.

When originally released the Blitz was the first (non-east German made) auto-sensing chess computer that cost less than 500. It is plastic but it has 64 LEDs and its auto sensing system seems to work flawlessly. Too bad they did not put a stronger program and processor into such an innovative board design.

The good news is that because it is not exceptionally strong I have a chance to win a game now and then. :lol:

Unrealized potential....regards,
Dave
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi Dave,

According to the wiki it contains the same program as the Prisma. Active elo (30 sec/move) just under the 1800 (Cougar has 2050), tournament elo 1860 FIDE. So indeed a chance to beat it now and then ;-). It seems Saitek deliberately did not want to make a very strong machine, but one that can be beaten by the better club player, so it stays fun to play with it :-).
I also was a little disappointed to see it play in games against other machines.
But, on the other hand it is a good sparring partner for practising rapid- and blitzgames while still having a chance to win!

Blitz regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Josef

Post by Josef »

My Mephisto MM V + HG550 has ELO 2175 (rated in 30s/move)
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Hi Paul,

Yes, I agree.

How nice it would have been if Saitek had released a series of dedicated chess computers with different strengths with programs by different programmers but all using the convenient and easy to use Blitz board.

Multiple Blitz...regards,
Dave
Erik Stillum

Post by Erik Stillum »

I think the Blitz was historic in another way. Not only was the wheel reinvented, but I think it was the first with the H8 processor.....

Erik