Mephisto Milano 2032 battery life

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
luis

Mephisto Milano 2032 battery life

Post by luis »

Hi, does anyone know what is the actual battery life of the 2032 inside the Mephisto Milano ?

If you replaced it at least once, how long it lasted after that ?
Larry

Re: Mephisto Milano 2032 battery life

Post by Larry »

luis wrote:Hi, does anyone know what is the actual battery life of the 2032 inside the Mephisto Milano ?

If you replaced it at least once, how long it lasted after that ?
Some seem to last way longer than others, so we can't say they last
for a certain time. Some are probably old stock when you buy them.
You should get a few years at least. Maybe it helps if you use rubber gloves
when you handle them , so you don't partially drain
them through your fingers. I know it's a frustrating job soldering them
in place. Been there done that.
L
mauben

Post by mauben »

The 2032 inside my Milano has been replaced by the previous owner very recently but it is already half-gone.

Not bothering about replacement, given also that it still saves current game even though language reverts to German, as the previous owner glued the three screw-covering rubber pads back in place using a secret formula that defies any attempt to remove again the said rubber pads feet without destroying them.

Backup regards,

Mauro
luis

Re: Mephisto Milano 2032 battery life

Post by luis »

Larry wrote: You should get a few years at least.
Hi Larry.

I was hoping so but having had the opportunity to check a recently replaced battery's voltage I have many doubts now.
Anyway, I suspect it's powering directly the static RAM used in the Milano.
It's a HY6264ALP10, the L stands for the Low power version.

From the datasheet "The HY6264A has a data retention mode that guarantees data to remain valid at the minimum power supply voltage of 2.0 volt. "

So, the CR2032 is a 3V battery, and should have more or less 200mAh of capacity.

Doing some calculations using the values of the current drained in standby mode as listed in the data sheet, this should give between 2 and 5 years of data retention, depending on temperature etc.

That's why I was asking if someone had ACTUAL experience about the expected battery life in this particular computer.
Larry wrote: I know it's a frustrating job soldering them in place. Been there done that.
In the Milano at least it's not soldered, even if you have to dismantle the computer to access it. That was a stupid engineering decision.
I don't even know why they thought it was a good idea to sell something needing a battery replacement in a few years requiring the owner to UNGLUE the rubber feet and open up the computer instead of giving some kind of easy access to it through a sliding compartment or something like that.
You can't ask the average consumer to unglue the feet, unscrew the computer, and put glue on the feet again. Come on.
You can't sell something like that.
And if in some other computers they are actually soldered... that's just crazy !
Made in Germany. LOL.
mauben wrote: The 2032 inside my Milano has been replaced by the previous owner very recently but it is already half-gone.
Hi Mauro. Very recently it means.... ?
How do you know it's half gone ? I imagine you didn't open it, based on what you are saying about the superglued feet.
mauben wrote: Not bothering about replacement, given also that it still saves current game even though language reverts to German
It does ? Are you sure ? I don't see how it may do one but not the other.
When I tried it without the 2032 in its place to test what was saved, simply the "memory" button wasn't doing anything.
At the power up the state was completely reset, even with the AA batteries in place.
That's when I looked at the components and saw they were using a static CMOS RAM, and I deduced the 2032 was used to keep the whole state of the RAM frozen between power ups.
mauben wrote: the previous owner glued the three screw-covering rubber pads back in place using a secret formula that defies any attempt to remove again the said rubber pads feet without destroying them.
That sucks. :lol:
Scally

Post by Scally »

Last year I got my Mephisto Lyon out the cupboard after a few years non use.
When I booted it up the language had reverted to German, when I changed it to English, my game saves were still there.

So my question: is the battery rechargeable with use, as I've never changed my battery and it's still working today, some 25 years after I bought it?

Cheers,

Al.
mauben

Post by mauben »

Luis,

I believe the 2032 was replaced a couple years ago. Maybe it was an "unbranded" or a "not 100%" unit.

I was thinking about drilling 3 holes in the rubber pads covering the screws, but I do not even own the equipment.

Actually, my Milano keeps the game in memory (the "memory" key works), but defaults to German when switched on.

In the ex-Vancouver module, which I bought in 1991 or 1992, the backup battery (soldered original still in place) works more or less like the Milano: games are saved, language sometimes reverts to German.

Probably the 2032 has a very long "recharging life" (also taking into account that my Vancouver / London was not used from 1997 to 2012).

I am looking for someone able and willing to replace the Vancouver original battery holder with a slip-on unit, with no luck so far.

Mauro
luis

Post by luis »

Scally wrote: So my question: is the battery rechargeable with use, as I've never changed my battery and it's still working today, some 25 years after I bought it?
If the battery it's a 2032 it's not rechargeable, and would be dead by now anyway (it may reach a shelf life up to 10 years, but certainly not a service life of 25).

If there is a rechargeable battery inside that thing, it should be a Ni-Cd because it was practically the only available technology at the time, and no Ni-Cd battery can keep its charge so long (it's months in the very best scenario, for an old battery probably weeks).
Also a 25 year old Ni-Cd battery it's very lucky to be still in one piece today without have leaked everywhere damaging something near itself. The probability it's still capable to hold charge if recharged today are extremely dim.

So I guess the explanation must be something else.
mauben wrote: I was thinking about drilling 3 holes in the rubber pads covering the screws, but I do not even own the equipment.
It's a nice idea, I may do it myself.
I'm sorry you can't remove the rubber feet, you could use other means to make a hole in them then, beyond a drill.
You could always buy a single drill bit and use it "by hand" after all it's just rubber, also you wouldn't risk to damage the screw.
Or you could buy a cheap manual drill. Even if I have many electrical machinery I have an old manual drill too and I use it from time to time.
But if you invest in something electrical like a Dremel or a Proxxon (even a cheap clone is fine) than it is forever ! Can be used for so many things.
mauben wrote: Actually, my Milano keeps the game in memory (the "memory" key works), but defaults to German when switched on.

In the ex-Vancouver module, which I bought in 1991 or 1992, the backup battery (soldered original still in place) works more or less like the Milano: games are saved, language sometimes reverts to German.
I take note of what you are saying... I'll check again when I'll have the opportunity to do so. All this is very strange.
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi,

I just got my Mephisto Lyon TM out of the cupboard and turned it on. I checked for saved games and they are all still there, with 80% free.
So I wonder how these are stored as my battery is still the original. Also this time the language was still in English.

Cheers,

Al.
mauben

Post by mauben »

Scally,

That really looks a true German engineering feat ! I am amazed too about my Vanc.

Do you know any way to replace the battery assembly with a slip-on unit, or maybe how to replace it with the unit sold by Topschach.de ?

Luis,

can you confirm that the screws are right in the center of the rubber pads ? I can buy one of those hollow punches that cobblers use to drill holes in belts. Or simply bring the Milano to the cobbler down my street ...

Best to all,

Mauro
Scally

Post by Scally »

mauben wrote:Scally,

That really looks a true German engineering feat ! I am amazed too about my Vanc.

Do you know any way to replace the battery assembly with a slip-on unit, or maybe how to replace it with the unit sold by Topschach.de ?
No I'm afaid not, I'd be interested too.

Al.
luis

Post by luis »

mauben wrote: can you confirm that the screws are right in the center of the rubber pads ?
Yes, you can also verify it from the pictures available on the site I mentioned in the other thread -> https://sites.google.com/site/proyectos ... nigelshort

Fifth image.
mauben

Post by mauben »

Scally,

I'll send an email to Topschach.de asking for tech details. A few weeks ago I wrote to a German guy I had read about on SS who repairs chess computers but never got a reply.

Luis,

Tomorrow I will look for a suitable wrench in a hardware store. I hope to be able to complete the de-frankenstein process without having to buy a new Milano.

Have a nice evening,

Mauro
luis

Post by luis »

mauben wrote:I was thinking about drilling 3 holes in the rubber pads covering the screws
I followed your good tip, now I can open/close the damn thing without removing the feet every time. :wink: