Reflection module for Mephisto boards

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Josef

Post by Josef »

I never received any PM, I don't' know.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Scally wrote:How does PM work here, I've tried several times to PM people, but they stick in my 'OUT' bucket and never send?
Al
the PM will stay in your out box until the person you sent it to reads it
as soon as a PM is sent an email is generated by the board alerting the receiver that a PM is waiting for them
regular members know to always check if they have new messages waiting but members that don't come here often or post often usually don't read the email and so might not even know a message was sent to them
you are probably sending the PM to someone who seldom posts or reads here

Messaging 101 Regards
Steve
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the explanation ....

Al
Josef

Post by Josef »

I've tested simulation of the Vancouver engine between Revelation II chess and Reflection module for Mephisto chess.

Reflection has this hardware

ARM® Cortex®-A5(ARMv7) 1.5 – 1.8 Ghz quad core CPU
1Gbyte DDR3 SDRAM
32Gigabyte Ultra High Speed Sandisk

Vancouver has this hardware

PXA/XSCALE series and runs at 800+ MHz
128MB of DDR SD RAM ensures sufficient memory for large Hash tables
1 GB Flash Memory

Which is HW better? I was surprised, you can see.

Image Image
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Josef wrote:I've tested simulation of the Vancouver engine between Revelation II chess and Reflection module for Mephisto chess.

Reflection has this hardware

ARM® Cortex®-A5(ARMv7) 1.5 – 1.8 Ghz quad core CPU
1Gbyte DDR3 SDRAM
32Gigabyte Ultra High Speed Sandisk

Vancouver has this hardware

PXA/XSCALE series and runs at 800+ MHz
128MB of DDR SD RAM ensures sufficient memory for large Hash tables
1 GB Flash Memory

Which is HW better? I was surprised, you can see.

Image Image
Hi Josef,

It is not so good to base it on the results of just 1 test game.

You have to really play all 5 tests to get a better picture.

In the above table Fidelity Premiere Vancouver scored better than even your Revelation II Vancouver in Test 1. But after completing the 5 tests it looks very different. Also you can see here that Revelation Active scored the same as your Reflection in Test Game 1.

There are plenty of examples in a match between the same programs where for example a 68,000 program beat a 68,020 program which really should be twice as fast.

That happens sometimes because a program at the next search depth sometimes throws out what was in a lower search depth a good move for a not so good move and this can result in it losing against its slower brother. If however the search were to be continued for longer then often it would have kicked out the worse move in a deeper search because suddenly it finds the mistake. But in these cases it is too late.

So what I am saying is that if Revelation Vancouver were to play 10 games against Revelation II Vancouver. It wouldn't lose every game. It would probably win some as well over 10 games.

Best regards
Nick
Josef

Post by Josef »

I compared two the same engines and different computers in the same game. I can see, the Revelation II compute about 300.000 positions per second more than Reflection module - this is the reason.