HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index HIARCS Chess Forums
World Championship winning computer chess software program & downloads for chess database, analysis and play on PC, Mac and iPhone
 
 QuestionsQuestions   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

Chess Wizard and Perfect Chess
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Main Lobby / General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author
spacious_mind
Senior Member


Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 2973
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are possibly 3 more Novag to find:

* Super Emerald de Luxe (I am not sure if it was ever sold. It shows up in a Novag brochure)
* Novag Mentor Junior
* Solo Deluxe Z

Best regards
_________________
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
spacious_mind
Senior Member


Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 2973
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question on Super Expert A. At Schachcomputer.Info it is listed as 5 MHz. I think this is not exactly correct as I have two Super Expert A's one with original 96K Box that has an orange label on it that says:

NEW: with increased 6 MHz speed.

I also have a second one that also seems to be a 6 MHz, this one came in a brown Novag outer box. So I think they must have originally been sold as 5 MHz but also upgraded to 6 MHz therefore Super Expert A was sold as both 5 MHz and 6 MHz.

So if this is the case instead of searching for a Super Expert B, I would really just need to search for the ROM and install it into one of these two Super Expert A's to upgrade it to a Super Expert B?

Best regards
_________________
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Berger
Member


Joined: 08 Sep 2013
Posts: 44
Full Name: Gerardo M.
Location: Barcelona (CATALONIA)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

spacious_mind wrote:
So if this is the case instead of searching for a Super Expert B, I would really just need to search for the ROM and install it into one of these two Super Expert A's to upgrade it to a Super Expert B?


Yes, you can do this without problems. In fact, on your A version, you can install A, B or C indistinctly. Apart from the differences in the program, which you can consult in the manuals, you should know that only the C version is capable of using the serial communications port.

Novag made a good design on this chess computer, because the system clock frequency (5 or 6 MHz) is independent of the frequency that controls the real time clock (the time control for levels): It has separate quartz crystals. Therefore a change in the program does not generate problems of this type.

If you have problems getting the ROM, feel free to contact me. Wink

Regards,
Berger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BillT
Member


Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Posts: 69
Full Name: Bill Turrell
Location: Norfolk UK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As a point of interest ...does this apply to the Super Forte too???? I have a SF A version
It would be good to upgrade to "C" version

regards
Bill
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spacious_mind
Senior Member


Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 2973
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillT wrote:
Hi

As a point of interest ...does this apply to the Super Forte too???? I have a SF A version
It would be good to upgrade to "C" version

regards
Bill


Hi Bill

Yes that would be the case.

regards
Nick
_________________
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
spacious_mind
Senior Member


Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 2973
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berger wrote:
Hi,

spacious_mind wrote:
So if this is the case instead of searching for a Super Expert B, I would really just need to search for the ROM and install it into one of these two Super Expert A's to upgrade it to a Super Expert B?


Yes, you can do this without problems. In fact, on your A version, you can install A, B or C indistinctly. Apart from the differences in the program, which you can consult in the manuals, you should know that only the C version is capable of using the serial communications port.

Novag made a good design on this chess computer, because the system clock frequency (5 or 6 MHz) is independent of the frequency that controls the real time clock (the time control for levels): It has separate quartz crystals. Therefore a change in the program does not generate problems of this type.

If you have problems getting the ROM, feel free to contact me. Wink

Regards,
Berger


Hi Berger,

Thanks I appreciate the offer I will send you a pm.

Best regards
_________________
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
spacious_mind
Senior Member


Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 2973
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the link below I had previously shown Novag Athenas:

http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8277&start=0

A Novag Athenas 2 however also exists. Here it is:

Novag Athenas II - 2005



It has 128 Levels, 8 MHz, 16 KB ROM and 768 Bytes RAM so it seems to be pretty much the same program as the Novag Quartz:

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/quartz.html

The manual has a Perfect Chess copyright of 2005. The Athenas II seems to be an exclusive Spanish import.

Here is another Chess Wizard:

Chess Wizard IQ III - 1996



The Box says Mitco Industries, Hong Kong 1996. Manual also states 1996.

The Key layout is different to any other Novag that I have seen which makes it unique.

It has 8 Mhz, 4 KB ROM and 256 Byte RAM which seems to make it the same program as Novag Condor, Coral, Crystal and Pearl.

Here is another Chess Wizard

Chess Wizard - IQ IV - ?



Same design as Novag Pearl, therefore same program.

Well I have IQ II, III, IV and V. I have not seen an IQ I and I am not sure if anything existed after IQ V.

Best regards
_________________
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
spacious_mind
Senior Member


Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 2973
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AM ALEXANDRA YOUR COMPUTER OPPONENT....

Novag Voice Chess - 2005 - Ron Nelson



This one is a bit of a rarity too. It's Alexandra sold by Novag Perfect Chess copyright 2005.

It is unique as besides English, it can speak Spanish and Russian. The above photo shows Russian.

The specification is not shown therefore I would take the same specifications that Ron Nelson provided:

SUNPLUS 65C02 SPLB32A - 8 Bit CMOS Single Chip - 5 Mhz - 512 KB ROM - 1216 Byte SRAM.

Excalibur Alexandra's specs can be seen here:

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/alexandra_the_great.html

This is another Ron Nelson:

Novag Touch Chess - 2001 = Ron Nelson



You can read more about the Novag Touch here:

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/touch.html

It is the same program as Excalibur Touch Chess which you can see here:

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/touch_chess.html

The box also confirms that it was programmed in the United States (Ron Nelson).



So there were at least 3 Ron Nelson computers sold under the Novag Brand:

Novag Portal ( http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8277&start=0 )
Novag Voice Chess
Novag Touch Chess

Прощай

Best regards
_________________
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chessmaster Ireland
Full Member


Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 536

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick

Here's another Chess Wizard from Excalibur from your own web site.

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/chess_wizard.html

Regards
Bryan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
spacious_mind
Senior Member


Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 2973
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:
Hi Nick

Here's another Chess Wizard from Excalibur from your own web site.

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/chess_wizard.html

Regards
Bryan


Hi Bryan,

Yes except I am not sure if that one belongs to the Chess Wizard IQ computers Smile

Best regards
_________________
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
spacious_mind
Senior Member


Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 2973
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another hard to find Novag.

Novag Aquamarine 16 MHz - 1993 - David Kittinger



Unlike the Aquamarine Premiere, Premier Plus and Star Aquamarine, this one would be quite strong as it seems to have a 6301Y processor with 16 MHz 16 KB ROM and 2 KB RAM, making it about the same as Novag Beluga.

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/beluga.html

It also has the same 44 levels and 3000 move opening book. Both programs are just a faster version of Novag Primo with a slightly larger opening book and running twice as fast a Novag Primo.

The Aquamarine 16 MHz is quite rare. This is the only one that I had ever seen.

Another rare Aquamarine is the following one:

Novag Aquamarine Risc 20 MHz - 1995 - David Kittinger



The Novag Aquamarine Risc 20 Mhz has the same specifications as Novag Zircon and the manufacturer however rates it at 2100 ELO whereas the Zircon was rated at 2050 ELO. But that seems to be the only difference in the specifications.

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/zircon.html

This Novag Aquamarine Risc 20 MHz also seems to be very rare. This is also the only one that I have ever seen.

The next Aquamarine is the flagship of the Aquamarine range.

Novag Siglo XXI Aquamarine Risc II 26.6 MHz - 1999 - David Kittinger



This one is the same as Novag Zircon II.

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/zircon_ii.html

They have the same specifications and both are rated at ELO 2241 by the Manufacturer.

This one is also quite hard to find, but a lot easier then the 16 MHz and 20 MHz.

You can also get the Aquamarine Risc II 26.6 MHz without the words "Siglo XXI", so you have two versions of this computer. I have it stashed away somewhere. When I find, I will take a picture of it.

Best regards
_________________
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chessmaster Ireland
Full Member


Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 536

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick

There is a Aquamarine RISC II 26.6 MHz on the Spanish eBay at the moment.
http://www.ebay.es/itm/272667445446?rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F1185-53479-19255-0%252F1%253Ficep_ff3%253D2%2526pub%253D5574735181%2526toolid%253D10001%2526campid%253D5336086427%2526icep_item%253D272667445446%2526ipn%253Dpsmain%2526icep_vectorid%253D229501%2526kwid%253D902099%2526mtid%253D824%2526kw%253Dlg%2526srcrot%253D1185-53479-19255-0%2526rvr_id%253D1214397274775&ul_noapp=true

I use to own the Siglo XXI a few years ago and remember playing a twenty game match against the Citrine at 10 sec per move which the Siglo won by 15-5 if I remember correctly?

Regards
Bryan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
spacious_mind
Senior Member


Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 2973
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:
Hi Nick

There is a Aquamarine RISC II 26.6 MHz on the Spanish eBay at the moment.
http://www.ebay.es/itm/272667445446?rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F1185-53479-19255-0%252F1%253Ficep_ff3%253D2%2526pub%253D5574735181%2526toolid%253D10001%2526campid%253D5336086427%2526icep_item%253D272667445446%2526ipn%253Dpsmain%2526icep_vectorid%253D229501%2526kwid%253D902099%2526mtid%253D824%2526kw%253Dlg%2526srcrot%253D1185-53479-19255-0%2526rvr_id%253D1214397274775&ul_noapp=true

I use to own the Siglo XXI a few years ago and remember playing a twenty game match against the Citrine at 10 sec per move which the Siglo won by 15-5 if I remember correctly?

Regards
Bryan


Hi Bryan,

Yes score would sound about right. That one is tempting as my other Risc II is missing its box..

Best regards
_________________
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Hillis



Joined: 08 May 2017
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little collection you have there.

It would be fun to test these computers and make them play against each other to see which one is the best.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
spacious_mind
Senior Member


Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 2973
Location: Alabama

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hillis wrote:
Nice little collection you have there.

It would be fun to test these computers and make them play against each other to see which one is the best.


Thanks, actually if your question of who is best is centered around the respective computers with photos posted in these 3 pages it would be quite easy to rank the best ones. It would be something as follows for the top 6:

=1) Chess Wizard IQ 5 (same programs)
=1) Aquamarine Siglo XXI Risc II 26.6 MHz (same Programs)
3) Aquamarine Risc 20 MHz
4) Aquamarine 16 MHz
5) Supremo
6) Voice Chess (Alexandra)

The rest would have to be tested for sure.

Best regards
_________________
Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Main Lobby / General Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP