That's it, I'm off, goodbye I can't take it anymore!!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Bryan Whitby

That's it, I'm off, goodbye I can't take it anymore!!

Post by Bryan Whitby »

All I want out of life is happiness, good health and to actually see the new Millennium King play at 100% full speed.

But no, everybody wants to slow it down and down and down.

Have Millennium instructed their customers to never play The King at 100%

What will happen, will the module explode!!!

Until someone provides evidence of just how strong this Millennium is, not another sentence will come from this finger that is typing this.
lexman

Post by lexman »

Hi there is currently a match under the tournaments tab where the King at full strength is being played against an R30, dosn t look good for the R30.
Yarc

Re: That's it, I'm off, goodbye I can't take it anymore!!

Post by Yarc »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:All I want out of life is happiness, good health and to actually see the new Millennium King play at 100% full speed.

But no, everybody wants to slow it down and down and down.

Have Millennium instructed their customers to never play The King at 100%

What will happen, will the module explode!!!

Until someone provides evidence of just how strong this Millennium is, not another sentence will come from this finger that is typing this.
My problem is that The King playing at 300MHz is probably too strong for my other dedicated machines. I will give it a go against my Magellan and Stardiamond at some point, but if the estimates of it being 100+ ELO stronger than the Lang module are correct, then it may just make the games too far one-sided. But I will give it a go, probably in the New Year.

Regards
Ray
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

lexman wrote:Hi there is currently a match under the tournaments tab where the King at full strength is being played against an R30, dosn t look good for the R30.
match could turn into a bloodfest
not pretty

with 30 different MHz settings and two opening books in the King we have basically 60 different computers to test

even with dedicated computers things are getting very complicated these days

used to be...even the most expensive and strongest ,high-end dedicated computers had only a few settings...

Book on/off
Power on/off

Made for a much easier life...

The Times They Are A Changen Regards
Steve
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Thanks Lexman
Great news I'll play through these and the next games with great interest.

Thanks Ray
Looking forward to them.

This reminds me when I was a engineer for many years during the bleak and dark Margaret Thatcher tyrant era when we where constantly going on strike.
In and out every week over something, great days!!

Anyway back into the forum now thanks to Donkeylane.

Khrushchev Regards
Bryan
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Steve B wrote: with 30 different MHz settings and two opening books in the King we have basically 60 different computers to test

Steve
Hi Steve,

Not to mention that both books can be used at once, the various styles of play and then all the umpteen user-defined playing styles. The effective number of computers is huge.

Eternal King matches Regards
Ray
donkeylane

Post by donkeylane »

Hi Bryan,hope you've had plenty of chances to form an opinion about the King playing at full strength 300mhz, there has been no shortage of those games posted now,as well as the reduced power ones.Be interesting to hear your observations. Regards Steve C.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Hi donkeylane,

When my current match is over I plan to start a 10 game one at full speed against the Lang module. I may not have so much time available soon as planning on selling the house and moving to a flat. This in itself may not prevent the match, but I have to get rid of a load of stuff as planning on downsizing.

Also, I have noticed what I am calling a bug in the King module. When turning it off it does not save the full state of the machine, so any pondering or move calculation it was doing prior to turning off is lost when turning back on. This is noticeable on the longer time controls when I have to take a break.

So a little hesitant to start a match at 40/2 against the Lang module because this bug will put TheKing at a disadvantage.

Regards
Ray
donkeylane

Post by donkeylane »

Hi Ray,sorry to hear you are still having issues with the King,it does seem to be a fair old mixture of problems with it.With me,the only thing I would regard as being abnormal,is starting a new game and all the leds light up but it's simply a matter of lifting and replacing any piece . Never known that on an autosensory board before, no problems with the King on saving and recalling games.Hope you get the issues with yours sorted out,obviously a more unsatisfactory state of affairs for you. Best of luck with moving home. Regards Steve C.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

donkeylane wrote:Hi Ray,sorry to hear you are still having issues with the King,it does seem to be a fair old mixture of problems with it.With me,the only thing I would regard as being abnormal,is starting a new game and all the leds light up but it's simply a matter of lifting and replacing any piece . Never known that on an autosensory board before, no problems with the King on saving and recalling games.Hope you get the issues with yours sorted out,obviously a more unsatisfactory state of affairs for you. Best of luck with moving home. Regards Steve C.
Hi Steve,

I e-mailed Millennium today and have a reply. This is not a known issue and it's going to be investigated. Both my King modules have the same problem and somebody else on this forum has the same issue.

The moves are stored okay, but it loses any current progress in its thinking. Not good if I pause the game.

Thank you for your best wishes for when I move to a flat. Not sure when it's all going to happen, these things can take ages, but I have started the process of getting rid of stuff.

Regards
Ray
Celadus

Millennium the King module

Post by Celadus »

Steve B wrote:
lexman wrote:Hi there is currently a match under the tournaments tab where the King at full strength is being played against an R30, dosn t look good for the R30.
match could turn into a bloodfest
not pretty

with 30 different MHz settings and two opening books in the King we have basically 60 different computers to test

even with dedicated computers things are getting very complicated these days

used to be...even the most expensive and strongest ,high-end dedicated computers had only a few settings...

Book on/off
Power on/off

Made for a much easier life...

Steve
I am thinking of buying this King programme from Millennium.
I am not looking for a 3000 elo opponent given that I am around 1500 elo.
My interest is in :
1) A programme that has an attacking style
2) Ability to regulate playing strength.
3) If possible change playing style.

You mention two books. How do they differ?

I would appreciate any response. Thank you.
Only my chess computer knows my real ELO
Yarc

Re: Millennium the King module

Post by Yarc »

Celadus wrote: I am thinking of buying this King programme from Millennium.
My interest is in :

Hello Celadus,

I would say that TheKing module would be an excellent purchase once the issue with the printed circuit board not being cleaned properly during manufacture are sorted out. Until then, you may or may not get one that works properly.

To answer your questions:

1. It certainly does have an attacking style often sacrificing pieces for very active, dynamic play.

2.It has numerous options for regulating its playing strength. For example, there are levels that limit the number of positions it searches. This can greatly reduce its strength. There are training levels that can warn of mistakes, as well as the usual controls found on most other good dedicated machines. Additionally, its possible to turn off pondering so that it can't think in opponents time.

3.There are endless ways to change its playing style. It comes with several predefined styles but the user can create custom personalities each playing according to several different parameters defined by the user.

The two books differ quite radically. The Hiarcs book (Master book) contains over 300,000 moves many of which I believe come from modern play. Not all openings suit the King module's style of play, but it is very extensive. The other book is much older and contains something like 60,000 +-. This book contains some dubious and almost forgotten lines which are not so good. Other books may become available later. It is possible to have both books active so that if a reply is not found in one, it will look to the other book. I've not tried this as so far sticking to the Hiarcs book (Master book).

Hope that helps
Ray
donkeylane

Post by donkeylane »

Hi Celadus yes you have the two books,book 1 is the master book containing over 300,000 positions, these are the ones that might be described as being the normal or classical ones.Book 2 is the Aegon 1994 one,which,according to the manual, contains many forgotten and dubious lines.To be honest though, if your only intention is to play against the computer yourself, the weakest setting may still be too strong if you are 1500 elo and you intend to get regular wins over it.But if you are happy to play something of that strength, and to learn a bit more about the game,and maybe even get the occasional win,it'll do.I remember a chap coming into the local chess club once,really pleased with himself.'Hey fellas, I beat my Mephisto Academy today'.To many players there is still an immense satisfaction putting one over on the dedicateds. Regards Steve C.
Celadus

Re: Millennium the King module

Post by Celadus »

Yarc wrote:
Celadus wrote: I am thinking of buying this King programme from Millennium.
My interest is in :

Hello Celadus,

I would say that TheKing module would be an excellent purchase once the issue with the printed circuit board not being cleaned properly during manufacture are sorted out. Until then, you may or may not get one that works properly.

To answer your questions:

1. It certainly does have an attacking style often sacrificing pieces for very active, dynamic play.

2.It has numerous options for regulating its playing strength. For example, there are levels that limit the number of positions it searches. This can greatly reduce its strength. There are training levels that can warn of mistakes, as well as the usual controls found on most other good dedicated machines. Additionally, its possible to turn off pondering so that it can't think in opponents time.

3.There are endless ways to change its playing style. It comes with several predefined styles but the user can create custom personalities each playing according to several different parameters defined by the user.

The two books differ quite radically. The Hiarcs book (Master book) contains over 300,000 moves many of which I believe come from modern play. Not all openings suit the King module's style of play, but it is very extensive. The other book is much older and contains something like 60,000 +-. This book contains some dubious and almost forgotten lines which are not so good. Other books may become available later. It is possible to have both books active so that if a reply is not found in one, it will look to the other book. I've not tried this as so far sticking to the Hiarcs book (Master book).

Hope that helps
Ray
Hello Ray. Many thanks for your comments. And yes they are very helpful.
Celadus

Post by Celadus »

donkeylane wrote:Hi Celadus yes you have the two books,book 1 is the master book containing over 300,000 positions, these are the ones that might be described as being the normal or classical ones.Book 2 is the Aegon 1994 one,which,according to the manual, contains many forgotten and dubious lines.To be honest though, if your only intention is to play against the computer yourself, the weakest setting may still be too strong if you are 1500 elo and you intend to get regular wins over it.But if you are happy to play something of that strength, and to learn a bit more about the game,and maybe even get the occasional win,it'll do.I remember a chap coming into the local chess club once,really pleased with himself.'Hey fellas, I beat my Mephisto Academy today'.To many players there is still an immense satisfaction putting one over on the dedicateds. Regards Steve C.
Steve. Many thanks for your most helpful comments.