The Embarrassment of Richness

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

The Embarrassment of Richness

Post by Fernando »

We are almost drowned in abundance just when, being older, we are not the smart guys we used to be, OR, perhaps, we are not anymore playing machines OR programs that run at speed of, say, 500 to perhaps 5000 moves a second. Now it happens that even mediocre programs of the 80's are capable of giving as a mauling not every time but many times because they search such huge amount of stuff.
But this is not my point this time..
My point is how much buried under a mass of options we are these days.
Who do not remember the days when we had ONE computer or two at most?
Now we have and can play dozens of dedicated units, engines, programs old and new, etc. But do we enjoy more?
NO
We are buried in richness and a big chunk of the emotion and excitement is gone.
I suppose it happens in any walk of life

Optimistic regards
Fern
Festina Lente
X__Gandalf__X

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

That sounds like a 'Glass Half Empty' attitude!

I find myself playing one firm flavour of the day favourite for weeks on end (currently Mephisto Milano) and only turn to others when I fancy a change.

Might I suggest you choose a favourite, and lock everything else away in a cupboard for a month or so. That way maybe you'll find your glass half full!
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

X__Gandalf__X wrote:That sounds like a 'Glass Half Empty' attitude!

I find myself playing one firm flavour of the day favourite for weeks on end (currently Mephisto Milano) and only turn to others when I fancy a change.

Might I suggest you choose a favourite, and lock everything else away in a cupboard for a month or so. That way maybe you'll find your glass half full!
That I do with dedicated. I take one of the vault and play it a long time, but with programs I go from one to another. on a daily base...looking one I can beat :-(

Fern
Festina Lente