Fidelity Collection

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Fidelity Collection

Post by spacious_mind »

Here is the Fidelity Collection:

FIDELITY COLLECTION

AVANTI
ADVANCED CHESS CHALLENGER VOICE
CB 16 CHALLENGER BOOK OPENINGS
CC CHAMPION SENSORY VOICE
CC SENSORY VOICE
CHESS CARD
CHESS CHALLENGER 10 VERSION A
CHESS CHALLENGER 10 VERSION B
CHESS CHALLENGER UCC10 UPGRADE
CHESS CHALLENGER 3
CHESS CHALLENGER 3 UPGRADE
CHESS CHALLENGER 7
CHESS CHALLENGER I
CHESS CHALLENGER MINI SENSORY
CHESS CHALLENGER MINI SENSORY II
CHESS CHALLENGER VOICE
CHESS MATE
CHESS PAL
CHESSTER
CHESSTER PHANTOM
CHESSTER PHANTOM EYEBALL
CLASSIC
COMPUTACHESS IV
DECORATOR CHALLENGER
DESIGNER 1500
DESIGNER 2000
DESIGNER 2000 DISPLAY
DESIGNER 2100
DESIGNER 2100 DISPLAY
DESIGNER MACH III MASTER
DESIGNER MACH IV MASTER
ELDORADO
ELEGANCE
ELITE A/S
ELITE A/S BUDAPEST
ELITE A/S GLASGOW
ELITE AVANT GARDE 2100
ELITE AVANT GARDE V2
ELITE AVANT GARDE MOBILE MASTER
ELITE AVANT GARDE PREMIERE
ELITE CHAMPION CHESS CHALLENGER
EXCEL 68000
EXCEL DISPLAY
EXCELLENCE EP 12
EXCELLENCE MOD 6080
GAMBIT VERSION 1
GAMBIT VERSION 2
GAMBIT VERSION 3
GAMBIT VOICE
GENESIS
KISHON CHESSTER
LITTLE CHESSTER VERSION A
LITTLE CHESSTER VERSION B
MACH IIB
MACH II L.A. VERSION
MACH III
MARAUDER
MICRO CHESS CHALLENGER 16
MICRO CHESS CHALLENGER 8
MINI CHESS CHALLENGER
PAR EXCELLENCE
PHANTOM 6100
SENSORY 12
SENSORY 12B
SENSORY 6
SENSORY 8
SENSORY 9
SEPTENNIAL
SILVER BULLET
SUPER 9
SUPER 9 DELUXE
TINY
TRAVEL MASTER
USCF
VOICE EXCELLENCE

That's 75 in total.

Plus ELITE V11 which shouldn't be officially counted.

What I think I have missing is the following.

CHESS CHALLENGER ELITE S
AVANT GARDE V3
AVANT GARDE V4
AVANT GARDE V5
AVANT GARDE V6
AVANT GARDE V7
AVANT GARDE V8
AVANT GARDE V9
AVANT GARDE V10
ELITE PRIVATE LINE 3.6 MHZ
ELITE PRIVATE LINE 5 MHZ
EXCEL CLUB 68000
EXCELLENCE MODEL 6082
MACH IV
PLAYMATIC-S
POPPY
PRESTIGE

I am sure Fidelity Master Steve can tell me if there are any other's that I am missing :)

Best regards
Nick
dedicate computers

leds and magnets sensors Fidelity machines

Post by dedicate computers »

Hi Nick

All leds and sensors magnets are ok? the leds in each square is bright? I say that because fidelity machines were poorly designed, magnetic sensors are rarely perfect.
The designer of machines mephisto and and novag have been designed with quality.
Obviously the defects are for machines EAG series!
Regards
Oswaldo
spacious_mind

Re: leds and magnets sensors Fidelity machines

Post by spacious_mind »

dedicate computers wrote:Hi Nick

All leds and sensors magnets are ok? the leds in each square is bright? I say that because fidelity machines were poorly designed, magnetic sensors are rarely perfect.
The designer of machines mephisto and and novag have been designed with quality.
Obviously the defects are for machines EAG series!
Regards
Oswaldo
I have an EAG that needs the leds fixing. You are right that some of the wooden ones need care and maintenance every so often.

Best regards
Nick
red_potatoes

Post by red_potatoes »

Nick,

What I immediately wondered as I browsed your lists: which machines, from each manufacturer, do you most enjoy playing against?

I know its a subjective question. I tried searching the archives a bit, no luck, although surely the topic has been discussed before.

For people like me, who "collect" machines primarily to play against, and don't have space to store too many machines (my 2 dozen are already a voluminous nuisance), it is interesting to hear from those who have seen so many machines up close - which do you consider most fun, and why?

Monte Carlo (my latest acquisition) regards,

~Walter
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

red_potatoes wrote:Nick,

What I immediately wondered as I browsed your lists: which machines, from each manufacturer, do you most enjoy playing against?

I know its a subjective question. I tried searching the archives a bit, no luck, although surely the topic has been discussed before.

For people like me, who "collect" machines primarily to play against, and don't have space to store too many machines (my 2 dozen are already a voluminous nuisance), it is interesting to hear from those who have seen so many machines up close - which do you consider most fun, and why?

Monte Carlo (my latest acquisition) regards,

~Walter
Hi Walter

Everyone starts with machines they buy to play against. You start with one and you enjoy playing against it, then at some point you want more variety and you buy another. So now you have two and you are becoming a collector. If you have 20 computers then you are already a collector :)

With me when I started to grow mine, it morphed into the thought of hmmm.. now that I have a couple of computers, how about I do a tournament with them playing against me. And, then I bought another and so on.

Then, I found that organizing tournaments between them for me became even for fun than only playing against them. I started to really enjoy following the moves and strategies, strengths and weaknesses of one computer playing against another. And, so my collection grew and grew as I started to get more into categorizing where in this ladder of strength from top to bottom this new computer I just got fit into.

As I got more into it and read more about them you also begin to read about computer A being the same as computer B even though the board might look different. You then say to yourself hey... I got both of them and you test them again, especially now at this point you had already observed them in game situations and thought you had seen some different characteristics in their play. So what you read makes you find out for yourself if it is true. And, you find out that sometimes it is true and other times it is not exactly true.

So at this point you start having debates with the old guard establishment and you find out that wow you have just pitched yourself into a sensitive topic but you start to enjoy that too.

Anyway my collection did not grow because of me wanting to be a collector. It grew because I was a player who wanted to play chess against someone at night at home and then getting into the chess playing intricacies of these chess computers.

If you were to search my posts here at Hiarcs or Schachcomputer.Info, you will see that the vast majority of what I post is all about tournaments and computer matches and my experiences with them.

Even when I realized that I now had 100 computers or 200 computers, I still never classified myself as a collector. I thought of myself a player and chess computer tournament organizer. I guess you could call that self denial :P

Also for me dedicated computers are not the be and end all, I just as much for the same reasons enjoy old home computer chess programs and DOS programs and even early Winboard and uci chess engines up to the point of where they became so strong that could I no longer compare them to a human grandmaster. (All about comparing and classifying) From that point onwards they have become less attractive to me. Especially since the GM's stopped playing them.

Therefore Revelations, Gavons and Mysticums are still interesting to me to the point of maybe 1 GHz. Beyond that my interest is gone because you can't play them and neither can you understand the top programs in them and for analysis you are better off with Hiarcs, Stockfish or Komodo on a PC.

Anyway your Monte Carlo is a good buy and being a Morsch also tough to play against, you have to be on your toes.

With regards to my favorite, that changes all the time especially since I play a lot of computer tournament matches. It often tends to be some underdog that I didn't expect to do so well against opponents for who I had a higher expectation. Therefore you could say my preferences are program driven and not hardware driven.

Currently since I am playing this Hybrid tournament I am really enjoying Sargon III on Atari ST running at its 68,060 32 MHz speed. Why? because Sargon III was always discarded as this lowly weak program and now at 68,060 it seems to have received a new lease of life and I am getting a kick out of it beating some dedicated computers and higher thought of DOS programs. Besides don't underestimate a Spracklen their style is also just as unpredictable as Morsch once you start playing them at higher speeds ie Mach III onwards.

Best regards
Nick